Aphorisms for a Superhero Universe

Clonus

21 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Actually, this is what I had in mind--

"Lex?'

"Mmm-hmm?"

"Are billions of people really going to die?"

"Yes."

And they would have--if not for Superman.

But the fact that this kind of scheme is an issue, IS the depressing thing my hypothetical wit is wisecracking about in the aphorism.  

This has been attributed to Martin Luther King Jr., but there is considerable doubt that he actually said it.  Nevertheless, it seems appropriate as a superhero aphorism--

“Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.”

13 hours ago, Clonus said:

I've watched that show.  It doesn't exactly qualify as a refutation.  

Awwww, come on, I hear there is a MegaXLR revival movement going on.    To quote wikipedia "There have been various fan efforts and petitions to revive the show since it's cancellation."  It probably has a hundred people nation wide wanting the revival of this all Merican tv show. ?

• 2 months later...

I only learned of this recently, but it makes perfect sense now.

"I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

Douglas Adams

And I think we can expand that to any change, including laws, the emergence of supers, etc.