Mental Defense Bonus?

My group is just starting out with MHI, and during character creation one of the players noticed that Mental Defense in the MHI book lists has the following clause: 

1 Character Point for 1 point of Mental Defense ( the character may also add a number of points equal to his EGO/5 to those purchased

I checked the NPCs in the book and the only one I saw with Mental Defense was Harbinger, and he didn't have the bonus for his Ego, nor do any of the monster entries with Mental Defense. I also have Champions Complete, so I checked the power there and didn't see the same clause.  If I'm reading that correctly, a character with Ego 15 who spends one point on the power will actually get 4 points of Mental Defense (1 for 1 point, plus 15/5=3), making a single point investment in the power a great value.  

Part of me wonders if the bonus point of mental defense is something that everyone should have regardless of whether they spent points on the power, much like everyone starts with PD and ED 2, but since none of the NPCs are showing that I don't think that is right. I'm also not sure if the additional points are referring to points of Mental Defense, or character points spent on Mental Defense (normally the same, but could be different due to power advantages or limitations).

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, how did you handle it?

My group is just starting out with MHI, and during character creation one of the players noticed that Mental Defense in the MHI book lists has the following clause: 

I checked the NPCs in the book and the only one I saw with Mental Defense was Harbinger, and he didn't have the bonus for his Ego, nor do any of the monster entries with Mental Defense. I also have Champions Complete, so I checked the power there and didn't see the same clause.  If I'm reading that correctly, a character with Ego 15 who spends one point on the power will actually get 4 points of Mental Defense (1 for 1 point, plus 15/5=3), making a single point investment in the power a great value.  

Part of me wonders if the bonus point of mental defense is something that everyone should have regardless of whether they spent points on the power, much like everyone starts with PD and ED 2, but since none of the NPCs are showing that I don't think that is right. I'm also not sure if the additional points are referring to points of Mental Defense, or character points spent on Mental Defense (normally the same, but could be different due to power advantages or limitations).

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, how did you handle it?

Doesn't Mental Defense have a minimum of 5CP? That way, you go from 0 to 9.

But yes, for 0 points you get nothing. As soon as you buy the minimum (whatever that is), you also get your Ego/5.

• 4 weeks later...

The full Hero System rules list the EGO/5 MD Bonus as an optional rule. I think it makes sense to use it in MHI. In fact, I might go further and give all characters MD = EGO/5 for free, but that's just me, not Rules As Written.

And yeah, it looks like they forgot to factor it into the NPC writeups.