7th Edition thoughts

This may seem like a crazy idea but I think Hero Games needs to release a generic HERO Complete book with a big enough print run to supply a majority of FLGS.

It would only require a minor edit/re-write of Champions Complete and/or Fantasy Hero Complete that removes the main genre sections (no reinventing the wheel).

But it absolutely needs GREAT COVER ART!

Whether funded by Kickstarter or old school (directly by DOJ) an attempt should be made to get George Perez (or a current comic book artist of his talent and stature) to draw a NEW cover reminiscent of his art for the 4e Hero System Rules softcover book, especially the back cover art.  This is a pure ADVERTISEMENT investment.  There's a reason the back cover art is used on the Facebook Hero System Fan page.  It's that good and it states with ONE PICTURE what the rules are capable of. It would get folks to pick the book up off a shelf in a store.  Far better than what I suspect the current 'Complete' books can.

pic504314_md.jpg  pic504316_md.jpg

That's the version of HERO that sucked me in, but of course by that time I was beyond being sucked in by cover art.  However there are a lot of people out there, especially the newbies, where the cover art will attract their attention and at the very least, get them to pick up the book and skim through.  I would have to say, while I still love the cover art for the 4th edition Hero book, it simply isn't up to snuff for today's standards.

Honestly, if you want to go with the "catch a newbies eye with the artwork" angle, the cover art should be done by a professional artist.  Someone known and recognized in the Sci-fi, fantasy or comic industries.  GURPS and RIFTS used Zeleznik.  I knew Zeleznik's work from several novel covers he had worked on before I ever saw his GURPS stuff.  D&D had Larry Elmore, though admittedly, Elmore became famous from doing D&D game artwork, then made the transition to novel cover artist from there, but the association was very strong for the brand.  Exalted uses several professional artists including UDON (comic artists who worked for Image Comics) Jae Lee, Hyung Tae Kim (a famous character designer for Korean videogames) among others.

It's probably WAAAAAY out of Hero's budget to do so (didn't they get a Larry Elmore cover for one of the 4th Edition Fantasy Hero books?) but again, Kickstarter might be good for something like that.  Maybe.  And who should they get?

Well, I am biased with George Perez.  He's one of the few comic artists I've had the pleasure of meeting in person and he's a super nice guy.  He's also acknowledged as the master of the massive team-up books (Crisis on Infinite Earths, JLA vs. Avengers, etc...).  Heck, the character appearances in Crisis alone equals or exceeds the breadth of character types from that old 4e cover (Jonah Hex, Komandi, Warlord, LSH, Sgt Rock, etc...).  Back in pre-Crisis DC they covered just about every genre possible. However, if folks think George is too old school to appeal to the younger crowd how about Alex Ross? :D

I think Alex Ross is a superb choice. As a practical matter, however:

1. He would be extremely expensive.

2. His schedule is filled for, like, the next ten years at least.

3. His work is so tightly associated with DC that the book might get confused for a DCU product.

post-384-0-44356100-1420581747_thumb.jpgpost-384-0-17459700-1420581868_thumb.jpgpost-384-0-87340200-1420581927_thumb.jpg

Well, I am biased with George Perez.  He's one of the few comic artists I've had the pleasure of meeting in person and he's a super nice guy.  He's also acknowledged as the master of the massive team-up books (Crisis on Infinite Earths, JLA vs. Avengers, etc...).  Heck, the character appearances in Crisis alone equals or exceeds the breadth of character types from that old 4e cover (Jonah Hex, Komandi, Warlord, LSH, Sgt Rock, etc...).  Back in pre-Crisis DC they covered just about every genre possible. However, if folks think George is too old school to appeal to the younger crowd how about Alex Ross? :D

George Perez did some fine work on those older products.  But indeed, I feel his style is too old skool.  Same with Alex Ross.  While he is one of the finest artists at DC, his characters are done in the classic style.  That's probably not going to catch the eye of a 20-something or a millennial who grew up with modern comic art, anime and videogame aesthetics.

I would like to see someone who's style is modern, rooted in post 90's  comic art, reminiscent of the manga style but not too deeply mired within it.  Someone who makes excellent useage of computer coloring techniques which makes the artwork pop-out.  Eye catching images like some of these:

I personally prefer the old school style. I find computer coloring nauseating. :sick:

I actually really enjoy computer colored art. i also enjoy other forms of classical art. but in this day and age, many of the up and coming artists are making incredible images using computer coloring. I feel that it is advancing comic art quite nicely. but i realize on these message boards i'm in the minority on that point.

I actually really enjoy computer colored art. i also enjoy other forms of classical art. but in this day and age, many of the up and coming artists are making incredible images using computer coloring. I feel that it is advancing comic art quite nicely. but i realize on these message boards i'm in the minority on that point.

One man's art is another man's ipecac. :D

I've never thought of George's work as 'old school'.  It's classic and timeless like the sculptures of Michelangelo.

Is Michelangelo available?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says in a manner of speaking, but not necessarily a good idea.