Hero Action Points

bluesguy

In my last few games I have liberally used HAP.  I am thinking that was a mistake on my part.  I had the players roll 2d6 at the beginning of the session and the problem was that people used their HAP for trivial things.

In my new campaign I want to have HAP be something that characters get for doing something heroic/selfless which can then be used to during a heroic moment.

I would like to hear other folks ideas on how they have implemented HAP in their campaigns or how it was used in campaigns they played in.

To this end:

• Provide a description of how HAP was awarded and how it could be used
  • Give some examples of how players used HAP.

Please do not use this thread to argue why you don't like HAP.

Thank you

Part of using Action points is to allow people to use them for what they like. If they burn them early and on trivial rolls then the people who saved their points will be able to do things that the spendthrifts won't. Like all new things it's a matter of allowing every one to get used to using them and to encourage their use by keeping them flowing.

I play Savage Worlds that have a Bennie System which is similar to Action Points. The system is more simple and I do like giving people the tokens for their Bennies. I had one player use a bennie to guarantee a hit, which he then modified with some cards to do a spectacular shot that took out the big bad. It was annoying that the bad died, but it was so cool and fun that I couldn't stay mad. Also, I like how SW use bennies to keep characters (PC's and PC level NPC's) from being golden BBed by super rolls.

I am trying to keep awarding Bennies for PC's who play their Psych Limits and quirks. I also give them one if they surrender when the story needs the heroes to surrender to the bad guys. So I reward the Players for behaviors that I think need to happen more (ie Roleplaying their PC's better, and helping me tell the story)

I've never had a problem with HAPs because I view them as a way to give players a bit of authorial control over their characters instead of having them be strictly at the mercy of the dice. If a player blows through their allotment too quickly, sometimes they can be hosed royally by the dice later on.

Some sessions, the dice on the table can be quite merciless. I'm sure we've all had game sessions where they are. HAPs simply mitigate that a bit.

From the Campaign Guidelines for my current game:

• Gaining Hero Points: At the start of each session, roll 1d6, plus any dice of Luck your Character has; you gain one Hero Point for every Body on the dice. I’ll award additional HPs in game for good roleplaying, playing up your Complications, being excessively awesome, or sometimes for just making everyone laugh really hard.  HPs carry over between sessions, but you cannot “bank” more than three at any one time – any above three are lost.
  • Spending Hero Points: You can spend HPs to:
    • Reroll any dice roll. You must reroll all the dice, but you can keep the best result.
    • You can spend an HP to Push or Hurry* your action.
    • You can also use HPs to make minor changes in the plot, scenery, etc, subject to GM approval. For example: the bullets you found happens to fit your gun, or there just happens to be something soft under the window you fell out of.

* I have a house rule that allows character to essentially Push their DEX for initiative purposes. Doesn't get used often, but sometimes you really want to get the first shot in.

Part I am trying to keep awarding Bennies for PC's who play their Psych Limits and quirks. I also give them one if they surrender when the story needs the heroes to surrender to the bad guys. So I reward the Players for behaviors that I think need to happen more (ie Roleplaying their PC's better, and helping me tell the story)

This, definitely! Tho I confess I suck at remembering to hand out Hero Points in game - love the idea in theory, but just can't seem to get in the habit.

I've tested out HERO POINTS quite a few years ago in the 5th edition days. i did something very similar where each character would roll 1d6 + luck dice and the body rolled was how many HERO POINTS they had for the session.

However my useage was a bit different.

You could spend a hero point to change the result of the die roll up (or down) 1 level. You could turn a miss into a successful hit. a successful hit into a crit. or a critical fail into a normal miss.

You could also use one of your hero points to cancel out any villian points used by the npc's against you (obviously only very important npcs got hero/villian points)

I also allowed players to spend their hero points to enhance someone elses action. "I'm praying for your success!"

It actually works out pretty well but is only appropriate for swashbuckling type games where the characters are capable of some pretty impressive daring do. (They work great in the context of a star wars game as "Force Points")