Need a title for a game

FrankL

I'm working on a Cthulhu mythos-related short story. In the story, I want a game like CoC to play a part. The main character is a gamer who played it a while back. Then I became concerned about legal issues. I can mention anything from HPL's stories without fear as he released them into the public domain so that others could build on it. However, this isn't parody, so I can't name the game CoC, any modules, events or characters that are first used in the modules. I'm perfectly okay with this in principle.

However, as the character played the game and his old character sheet and SAN rules actually play a pivotal role in the unfolding plot, I've gotten myself into a corner. I believe I can refer to his SAN score and other stats without worry. It's the name of the game that I'm stuck on.

I need a name that a reader would identify as mythos-related but it can't be Call of Cthulhu or similar trademarked name like Trail of Cthulhu. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Unless you are using the trademarked game name in a defamatory way, I don't think you have much to worry about. Trademarked stuff gets mentioned in fiction all the time.

It sounds like you want to do what "Knights of the Dinner Table" did and make up a name for the game that is similar (I think they use "Scream of Cthulhu" in the comic).

If you google "using trademarked name in short story" you will find a lot of advice.

Earlier today, I read this piece (which also comes up with the google search above). It's the "defamatory" way that makes me pause. What might they consider defamatory? The game starts becoming real to the ex-gamer. While looking at his old char sheet, he jokes about an event causing him to lose a SAN roll and the sheet changes before his eyes. One morning he wakes up in Arkham, Mass, 1923. This is, of course, a bad thing. But would it be considered defamatory seeing as that is the kinda thing I can see a module about?

Mythos & Madness?  Annoy two properties at the same time!

Chris.

That might be too good to not use!

I'm still open to hearing other ideas and comments, please.

From the article you posted, defamatory would mean making the game seem defective or dangerous, but they'd have to prove that some readers would actually believe as fact that the game could transport you to Arkham, 1923. I'd call that a bit of a stretch. Tarnishment would mean doing something offensive with the trademark, which I doubt you are going to do.

Earlier today, I read this piece (which also comes up with the google search above). It's the "defamatory" way that makes me pause. What might they consider defamatory? The game starts becoming real to the ex-gamer. While looking at his old char sheet, he jokes about an event causing him to lose a SAN roll and the sheet changes before his eyes. One morning he wakes up in Arkham, Mass, 1923. This is, of course, a bad thing. But would it be considered defamatory seeing as that is the kinda thing I can see a module about?

That might be too good to not use!

I'm still open to hearing other ideas and comments, please.

If Mazes & Monsters wasn't enough for TSR  to take legal action against the author/publisher and later the TV network, I doubt anyone would bat an eye at what you describe.

• 2 weeks later...