Have you tried to handle combat rolls differently?

Theros

I have been thinking to change combat rolls in Hero a little bit. For me...it is little bit odd that attack is calculated: OCV +11 - 3d6= DCV to hit.

How about OCV + 3d6 = DCV + 3d6 ? How it will change hitting? Of course it will make it a little bit more random.

I have been thinking to change combat rolls in Hero a little bit. For me...it is little bit odd that attack is calculated: OCV +11 - 3d6= DCV to hit.

How about OCV + 3d6 = DCV + 3d6 ? How it will change hitting? Of course it will make it a little bit more random.

This method will fine, but the increased randomness may skew your shorter combats.

I tried making combat into skill contests. It worked and balanced just fine. But it slowed down game play because it added an extra roll.

Otherwise the results were about the same however were a character with a +3 became unstoppable in the original system he was much more manageable because the deviation grew.

I thought about doing DCV rolls vs a static offense for NPCs, i.e. a game where only the players roll. But then I sobered up.

So making the NPCs' rolls fixed, but having the PCs roll to avoid getting hit? [blink, blink] Huh. I'd never even thought of that, but now I kinda wanna try it!

...I feel sober...

So making the NPCs' rolls fixed, but having the PCs roll to avoid getting hit? [blink, blink] Huh. I'd never even thought of that, but now I kinda wanna try it!

...I feel sober...

Dungeon World uses a PC only roll. It is a very different experience than Hero, being that the GM describes the scene. The players describe how they are responding and throw the dice. Depending on the roll, they either 1) Succeed  2) Succeed with a cost or 3) Fail Outright. That works for Dungeon World. I'm not sure that it would work for Hero, but maybe. Maybe instead of the NPC making an attack roll, the PC makes an Evasion roll. Come to think of it, I want to try that. Be interesting to see.

The question is, how does one define the static attack roll? DCV + CSL + 11 - 3d6 = OCV evaded?

• 1 month later...

If the NPCs do not roll it means that critical rolls become more friendly to players - they would only be available to heroes.  :-)

I am open to new dice mechanics.  Having played so long I get tired of the fact that the more dice you have, the less likely you are to achieve more extreme results and that the to hit roll is entirely remote from the damage roll.  I have looked at mechanics in the past but never come up with anything that I liked.

I've never done it but I worked out how to play Hero with funny dice, using d100 for skills and to hit.  Its a pretty simple conversion, although it makes building powers a lot more complex (such as pricing different dice... what is a d4 blast worth and how do you work out the body?)