Issues Executing .jar Files Under Windows

Simon

If you're running it from the command line via "java -jar HD6.jar" and not seeing anything, then let's try the following:

1. Post the trace.log file from the directory that you're running from (the one with HD6.jar). Hopefully this will give some info on where the error is.  Java 10 breaks a large number of things...very bad form from Oracle on that...

2. try running from the command line with the following:

java -Xmx1024m -cp .\HD6.jar com.hero.HeroDesigner

That will bypass the launcher mechanism and try to directly run HD...possibly get us closer to the issue.

1. I'm not quite familiar with the trace.log file but I believe I attached what you are looking for. Just doing a quick skim through that file, I do notice java version 9, not 10, sprinkled throughout it.

2. Output: Error: Could not find or load main class com.hero.HeroDesigner
                   Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.hero.HeroDesigner

trace.log

Edited by Foset

That's an old copy of the file...Because you're not running from a directory with HD6.jar in it

You've either tried to unpack HD6.jar or are simply not changing to that directory before trying to manually launch the app

I don't understand what you mean by that. The executable jar file that I use to open the program via double click (HD6.jar) is in the same folder as the trace.log.

So I tried going through command line and changing the directory straight to my folder before executing "java -jar HD6.jar".

Input: C:\Users\YungL\Desktop\Hero Designer 6>java -jar HD6.jar (The exact path to the folder on my desktop)

Output: C:\Users\YungL\Desktop\Hero Designer 6> (Nothing happened)

Please run the command that I gave above (from the directory containing HD6.jar).

Also, please provide a directory listing (files, sizes, dates) of the directory containing HD6.jar -- a screenshot of your explorer view will work.

If you are a CONSUMER using Java for individual, personal use, you will continue to have the same access to Oracle Java SE 8 updates as you do today through at least the end of 2020. In most instances, the Java-based applications you run are licensed separately by a company other than Oracle (for example, games you play on your PC are likely developed by a gaming company). These applications may run on the Java platform and be dependent on Oracle Java SE 8 updates beyond 2020.

Yep, I read that part, but I'm just trying to make sure I understand what I'm looking at for the future of the character designer.  So that's a "No"?  the Hero Character Designer will stay a java distro and hopefully continue to work more than another year and a half?  Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand what comes next.

Thanks

What Oracle is saying is that Java 8 is now very much out of date.  They're on Java 10.  They don't want to continue to maintain Java 8 forever.  So, after 2020, there will be no bug fixes or security patches.  But Java itself will still run, as long as the application you're trying to run isn't written for a later version.

Essentially, Microsoft said the same thing a while back.  Windows 7 reached end of life.  No support of any kind...no new drivers, no bug fixes, no security patches.  But if you have an old Win 7 system, it will run...as long as you only try to run programs written for Win 7 and earlier.  There's serious limitations on what you can do with such a box these days...not sure any of the major browsers would still run, even their Win 7 versions.  (There can be end of life checks for these, too.)  BUT...lots of older Windows and DOS games and apps run MUCH better under Win 7 than Win 10.

What Oracle suggests is...update to Java 10.  The language has seen significant new features incorporated since 8, which was being supplanted when I retired 6 years ago.

• 5 weeks later...

When I enter the ftype command I receive this back:

jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre10.0.1\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

Then when I enter the ftype 

ftype jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre10.0.1\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I get Acces is denied

Error occurred while processing: jarfile

I have an HD6jar which I have bought 3 times now the latest in October of 2017 so I hope to get this one running. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Larry

1. Ensure you have admin access on your system before performing administrative tasks like changing file associations.

2. As mentioned earlier, Google "jarfix" - the first result will point to a download that you can run to correct the file associations on your system.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, justdan70 said:

How long should it display "Loading plugins" before finally finishing loading?

About 1-3 seconds.  Longer (blocking on that) likely means that you're trying to run from a directory that you do not have full access to -- HD is waiting for directories/files to be created and the system is not allowing it.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

About 1-3 seconds.  Longer (blocking on that) likely means that you're trying to run from a directory that you do not have full access to -- HD is waiting for directories/files to be created and the system is not allowing it.

Considering I'm the only user, I guess I  have something else to figure out!

As stated in the installation instructions: install to a directory that you have full access to. Even as an administrator on the system, Windows UAC will block you from writing to certain directories (C:\Program Files among them).

Try your desktop, documents directory, or home directory.

• 5 months later...

I hope this forum is still active, as I'm new to the site..

I've recently purchased and downloaded the software, and after a little poking about I got it working just fine.. My question is in the downloadable character packs for the software which are available - I purchased one (Champions Villains Complete Character Pack) and cannot figure out how to access the files through the Designer software? I redownloaded the files again on 3/17 and am still having difficulties.... any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the boards Clevesam!

If I'm understanding your question correctly, once you have HeroDesigner open click on File Open - then navigate to where you saved the files and open a *.hdc file to view it.

So for example, I would go to my Desktop -> <Folder> Champions Villains 2 6E -> <folder> GRAB -> Cheshire_Cat.hdc to open the file for this villain.

Hope this helps...