speed that costs end

Gary

Question

If you have a character who purchases extra spd that costs end, what phases are the end costs paid?

For example, a spd 5 character purchases +3 spd that costs end to simulate an adrenaline burst. I would assume that he has to pay 3 end in 3 different phases during the turn. Which 3 phases does he pay end?

Also, can the character take a recovery in one of his 3 extra phases?

2 answers to this question

He pays END on the additional Phases granted by the extra SPD. If the change in SPD re-arranges the character’s Phases so that it’s not clear which are the “additional” ones, the player and GM should determine which Phases the character pays END on, making some effort to try to spread them out evenly across the Turn.

A character who has extra Phases from buying SPD that Costs Endurance cannot take a Recovery on those Phases, since he’s spending END on them.

Sorry, I have to revise the above answer. I answered in a hurry because I'm busy with the USPD and forgot I'd already addressed this question in the Rules FAQ:

Q: If a character buys extra SPD that Costs Endurance, does he have to pay the END every Phase, or just on the extra Phases he gets from the extra SPD itself?

A: He has to pay END every Phase, because the power remains active every Phase (it just doesn’t happen to have an effect in some Segments). As long as the power is “on,” he pays the END, regardless of whether he does anything else — having the power on represents a potential for action, and he has to pay for that.

Having answered thusly once, I'm going to stick with it. ;)