[POLL] Favorite Generic RPG

Hyper-Man

What are BRP and EABA ?

BRP is "Basic Role Playing", the percentile system that powers RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer and some other games. Currently available in an OGL version ("Legend"), and Chaosium is publishing a lot of "monographs" for its version, plus a generic book ("Basic RolePlaying") and one aimed at the fantasy crowd ("Magic World"). RuneQuest is in its 6th version, based on the OGL version and generally a pretty great book. Apart from some typographical niggles, although none as bad as Magic World.

EABA is a game by Greg Porter, who worked on GURPS and HERO before, if I remember correctly. It's pretty much in the vein of GURPS and HERO, featuring point-based character creation and lotsa powers. The current second version is really great, at least for inspiration. It has a "roll X dice, keep 3 and add them" mechanic at its core, which results in a slightly higher granularity than HERO. Very interesting initiative rules -- each round takes twice as long as the previous and you get a flat bonus that you can either use to lower multiple-use penalties or stack on a single action (simulating careful execution, aiming etc.).

The power creation system is very complex, boiling down things to its basics. I mean, I like it, but if people ever complain that HERO needs a lot of work...

(I voted, too, although it's a bit like Sophie's Choice. As long as Savage World doesn't end up winning, I'm okay, though)

Explain?

I'm just not the biggest fan of SW, despite being terribly fond of one of its spiritual predecessors, and would prefer if it weren't the game people think of when "generic" gets mentioned. Hey, it's a poll, so it's not like I have to be completely objective here ;)