Agents Of SHIELD!

wcw43921

It hasn't been stated explicitly what her ultimate plan is. However, we might extrapolate that she intends to start by replacing SHIELD, and then continue with the Pentagon, and then Congress, and then...

So, she's creating the Matrix.

And yet this show still beats the snot out of everything on the CW, except for maybe Supergirl, which doesn't get pwned only by virtue of being so charming and cheerful (and, of course, having Melissa Benoist).

I'd say iZombie and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are both head and shoulders above it in writing quality, though of course the latter has nothing to do with comic books. And even Riverdale is drumming up more enthusiasm about watching out of me.

I'm with GM Joe in Legion being my go-to comics themed series these days—I don't understand half of what's going on plot-wise, but the acting and cinematography are blowing me away.

I'd say iZombie and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are both head and shoulders above it in writing quality, though of course the latter has nothing to do with comic books. And even Riverdale is drumming up more enthusiasm about watching out of me.

I'm with GM Joe in Legion being my go-to comics themed series these days—I don't understand half of what's going on plot-wise, but the acting and cinematography are blowing me away.

Is IZombie coming back? I did like that show and the people in it.

I think Season 3 of iZombie starts on April 4th.   Great characters, great writing.  (And this from a person who hates the zombie genre.)

My daughter still mourns the loss of Lowell, and we both love Ravi.  And love to hate Blaine and Vaughn du Clark.  (But I have to admit, as a big-bad, Mr. Boss was a bit on the lame side.)

Sorry for the derailment.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd agree with that.  I've always liked "What if...." comics and unlike other usual comic book excuses they could have used to explore it (someone used a cosmic cube, shunted to an alternate universe, time travel) the 'simulation' angle makes the most sense for a show that even pretends to be grounded in reality. 

Jemma's actress really sold that 'Fitz!' line,

Nah. Writing the show like a comic book and burning through 5-7 years of material in the first season made Heroes what it is today (and rebooting every single bit of character growth by the next episode didn't help - why they hell DIDN'T Matt stay with the FBI?).

The first season was good for the pacing, don't get me wrong, but there was no way they'd be able to keep that pace up.

My problem with the current storyline is that it makes no sense for AIDA to allow interaction between the people who enter the Framework. It should just create a separate, isolated instance for each person, like a single-player video game rather than an MMORPG. It shouldn't be a shared experience unless she wants them to figure out a way to team up and defeat her. Making the Framework a shared environment is a security risk she doesn't need and should never have allowed.

Moreover, I don't understand why people like Fitz and May so thoroughly lose their core identity while people like Daisy and Jemma don't.

I am under the impression that there is only one set of hardware running the Framework, and that it only runs a single instance of its virtual reality simulation (rather than a separate simulation for each person "logged into" it), which is how it achieves a shared experience for them.

Moreover, I don't understand how it can "reprogram" the personality of a real person who enters it. I can understand how it can present any desired alternative version of a person that is a pure simulation ("background characters", if you will), but the Fitz, May, and Coulson we see are not simulacra created by the Framework itself. Fitz, May, and Coulson should be every bit as much in control of their actions (and their own personalities) as Daisy and Jemma are.

Well, they really haven't explained exactly how it works. My guess is that it isn't the framework doing the memory tampering, that she tampers with their memories then sticks them in the framework. So, without access to their brain, she can't really brainwash them. But I only think that because it's the only way that makes any sense. The show hasn't spelled it out. Skye and Jemma seem to think they can get the others to snap out of the brainwashing by interacting with them in the framework, which implies that at least the characters think the framework is responsible for the brainwashing.

Well, they really haven't explained exactly how it works. My guess is that it isn't the framework doing the memory tampering, that she tampers with their memories then sticks them in the framework. So, without access to their brain, she can't really brainwash them. But I only think that because it's the only way that makes any sense. The show hasn't spelled it out. Skye and Jemma seem to think they can get the others to snap out of the brainwashing by interacting with them in the framework, which implies that at least the characters think the framework is responsible for the brainwashing.

It's the soap.

As I understood it, Radcliffe was creating a duplicate "Darkhold brain" that was manipulated to remove one part of the hosts personality (to lazy to look it up) and that the Framework was intended to be a matrix-like afterlife that the host was plugged into.

Naturally, the utopia turned into a Hydra-fueled dystopia.