Agents Of SHIELD!

wcw43921

That's hard for me to fathom. This is ABC, which is owned by Disney. They have Disney/Marvel money at their disposal, and since this show has highly synergistic franchise properties and crucial crossover duties with the MCU, it seems odd that they would skimp on the vfx budget. The vfx budget for The Flash seems sufficient to have fairly impressive flame&flight effects for Firestorm on a semi-regular basis, and that's on the CW, so it makes no sense to me that Disney can't (or won't) cough up the dough to do similar calibre effects for Agents of SHIELD.

I don't think the cost is the main reason. I think their plan all along was to make her Daisy Johnson aka Quake, an established agent of SHIELD in the comics recruited by Fury during Civil War or Secret Invasion. As for her powers, one of them they mentioned in the comics was she developed pin point control (she isn't Avalanche) and could be one of the scariest Assassins if they tried, as her range is vision, IIRC, and with a scope, could explode someone's heart at range.

I don't really see any indications of budget FX on the show. I think they put out a fair effort/expense when it's needed. However, it's probably good to have recurring shticks be pretty inexpensive. Even though the parent company has deep pockets, all shows have budgets. Plus, as noted, once she gains control, she can just blow up people's hearts. That's super cheap to pull off.

I wasn't commenting on how they'll actually portray Skye's Quake powers. I was responding to the assertion that they (i.e., Disney) don't have the budget (i.e., the money) to make her fly or display ice powers (if they wanted that for the character).

That's what I thought you were saying. I'm saying that they still have to deal with a budget, regardless of how deep the parent company's pockets are, so the character they chose was a good pick in that regard. I'm sure they didn't pick the character so much for her powers but for story reasons, but the whole package works well on TV.

OK, watched the new episode yesterday.

It was mostly a reaction take to the mid-season cliffhanger. I thought they had some decent character bits there. The Fitz/Mack and Fitz/Skye moments were good. Damaged Fitz is 1000% better than Original Recipe Fitz.  Simmons was a bit over the top, IMO. On the villain side, the Raina/Cal scene was good. It was kind of ironic to see

Hunter kill Hunter.

I read Raina was kept on the show because the show runners really liked Ruth Negga. So, regarding "who" she is . . . I think she's just an original character and they gave her a Quill/Quills power set and look after the fact. Probably no direct analog in the comics.

Gordon had a pretty nice moment of badassery.

I love the show and almost all of what they've done with it.

I am having issues with Skye's situation, and the whole 1) 'we need to hide it'; 2) 'we need to drain her contaminated blood from her'; 3) 'we just need to kill it before it kills us' vibes that are there.

Isn't she their friend and teammate? Didn't they forgive her for her whole: "I'm a criminal hacker who's working against what you're doing" thing and bring her into the fold?

Something about all of that just feels wrong to me. It seems like a huge overreaction, even if they did lose Tripp during that mission.

This isn't enough to turn me off of the show, it just seems off. I will continue to watch, to see where they take things.

I'm totally surpised no one reviewing the episode last night seems to have put together the screaming guy is the Daredevil villain Angar the Screamer. How did Angar get his powers? An experiment funded by Moondragon to make warriors to fight Thanos! See the connection there?

Also, Sky's father, "Dr. Cal" is obviously Dr. Calvin Zabo, aka Mr. Hyde, opponent of Thor, and member of the Masters of Evil. Hyde is Quake's father in the comics, Sky is Quake.

I'm wondering if the scientific genius in the team he put together is maybe the Wingless Wizard, the Fixer or The Mad Thinker. I guess we will have to see more.

Something about the writing style or story arcs of this show so far have made me enjoy the early shows a lot less than later ones. But zslane is right about the Soap Opera vibe: hugely overdramatic reactions and emotional roller coaster effects to create continuous drama.  Gotta pull people back in show after show and good writing is too hard!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to seeing the season finale.  Good stuff--lots of nifty fight scenes, especially with Coulson and the others against the teleporter.  I hope everyone was taking notes--those strategies could come in handy.

So there was good in Mr. Hyde after all.  Very much of a departure from the comic version.  Good to see that he, at least, got a happy ending following a trip to Tahiti.

After what happened to Simmons--once more I have to go outside and scream.  :shock:

Looking forward to next season--we may actually have superpowered people with code names, secret identities, and--dare I say it?--COSTUMES!

:thumbup:   :thumbup:   :thumbup:   :thumbup:   :thumbup:

One quibble I have, and it's the same one I had with Avengers: Age Of Ultron--as far as I can tell, none of the Avengers knows that Coulson is alive.  I would have thought they would deal with that after Winter Soldier, when every last secret SHIELD had was exposed--but apparently not. And all the movie heroes keep saying they want to appear on Agents Of SHIELD, but it never occurs.  Perhaps Season Three will deal with both matters.

As I said, I;m looking forward to next season.  I just hope Simmons is all right. :no:

While Age of Ultron didn't explicitly mention it, I think we are intended to understand that it was Coulson's intel that led the Avengers to Strucker's lair in Sokovia. I have to believe that by now the Avengers know Coulson is alive.

As for the shapeshifting material that swallowed up Simmons, I don't think it is in any way related to Graviton. That stuff was described as "alien"...

Something occurred to me. I wonder if the black goo, which people say isn't the Graviton goo, might not be powered by one of the remaining Infinity Gems (I am guessing soul, as that would give a storyline about Gemma's being upset about the death of certain agents).