Back in the saddle.

incrdbil

Long time, no post...

Well, two of our long running campaigns are winding down. when asked, the group unanimously decided it was time to return to super heroes.  I've kept my skills from rusting by running a short game/episode format vigilante campaign via Skype, though it was mainly roleplay.

So, I'm diving back in to a full fledge, aggressive campaign.  I've cracking open all of the new villain books I picked up at GenCon the last few years, and see there's a lot of new villains, which is great; I feel the need for some new blood.

The setting is "Young Heroes"--characters just graduated from Ravenswood Academy (or some quitting school to leave with their friends).  Not vigilantes, but definitely hotheaded and reckless, and none of them registering with the government. Standard Hero start (400. 75 complications, 12 DC average, DC max, 24 defenses, 30 max), but using some of the Teen Hero disadvantages for under 18 heroes.  They lack a lot on resources (no millionaires, no gadget based character, no detective), and aren't loaded down on skill levels (as is appropriate for their age).

Any suggested villains, especially among those newer ones just appearing in print for the first time? I'll cheerfully borrow any plot ideas you'ld like to inflict on some just starting out heroes.

Roll call:

Major Glory A Young, idealist super patriot, with basic superpowers similar to Clark from Smallville (pre flight) power origin: Kelvarite exposure.

Turbo, Speedster, possibly the least committed hero of the group. Mutant who is dreadfully terrified of the anti-mutant hysteria, tries to hide his powers as technological.

Red Star; 2nd Generation hero, son of a Russian Superhero who defected late in the Cold War. Many Radiation based powers-a very limited VPP with some lack of control problems. Jovial type who simply enjoys being a hero.

Resonance Alien/Human Hybrid. Cheerleader. Naive, idealistic. Powers:  control manipulation of radio waves, and some electromagnetic energy.Dedicated, responsible protector of the innocent.

Spellbinder: Tragic Hero Origin. Parents and Kid visiting Far East, Parents disappeared, kid was found, burned badly. Brought up by a lone mystic, who tried to overcome his fear of fire and tech him magic. Failed on the fear of fire. Uses lots of Drains and unique magical attacks.  Notable facial burns makes him feel isolated from normal society, and has found refuge and comfort in the close knit band of super-human friends who accept him.  Rather harsh on evil-doers. Afraid of fire greatly..and goes enraged if actually attacked by fire.

The Kinetik Kid--just barely 16. Super intelligent kid, most sciences of the group. Mutant with TK based powers. Idealistic, stubborn, reckless..and still very immature. Very much a Teen Champions mentality..but full powers. Attending college for advanced degrees, and reacts in a super sensitive and aggressive fashion to taunts about his youth.  Prone to about ever one of the geek fallacies.

Good to see many familiar faces still here.

I'm feeling a West Coast setting; the players wanted to stay in the universe of their last group, from about 2009 to 2010, but far enough away from the Chicago based group.  L.A seems sort of a hum drum choice.  Come to think of it though, I've only done one game with a team based on the west coast.

as a side questions, is there any errata for the Villain Books? A few of the villains I saw had problems..like horrendous END costs and no recovery or END to mention (The Overbrain). Nothing I can't fix

I'm hoping I can make do with the old 5th edition GM screen until the customizable one shows up and I can a new one.

For west coast, consider San Angelo.

"I keep getting requests for an Astro City RPG; we're not planning to do one - but I think any Astro City fans who want such a game should at least try out San Angelo. It's an intricate, involving, well-realized gaming world, and the emphasis on the reality of the surroundings and the humanity of the characters may make it just what they're looking for."

-- Kurt Busiek, creator of Astro City

Mind you, it was written for 4th edition.