Traveller HERO conversion to 6th edition

donm61873

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not just a fan, I'm here to offer pro bono editing/proofreading. I'm a stickler (being married to a teacher coerces you into the role) and detail oriented, and would rather jump off a cliff than allow a book I was responsible for editing go out with even the tiniest of typographical errors.

Looking forward to the updated rules!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have (almost) all the original GDW Traveller books, except for the adventure modules (I hate canned adventures).

I'd be willing to collaborate & fact-check for compatibility on this project.

In particular, I'd like to address normalization/rationalization of original rules -vs- High Guard -vs- Striker.  I have some

ideas in this regard, but they require acceptance of a certain socio-history status (e.g. basic science knowledge has

colapsed in most places, leaving technology to engineering "kludges" around existing but not truly-understood examples).

This can justify many of the discrepancies (everybody over TL:8 knows how to build gravitic devices, but nobody really

understands how they actually work in a fundamental-science sense).  That would also leave certain configurations of

technology inherently but "inexplicably" more-efficient than others.  Thus, the "standard" small Traveller drives (A, B, etc.)

are often more-effective (for unit mass) than a generic High-Guard drive of the same size...

All we're doing right now is converting the materials in the previously published Traveller HERO material to H6/CC compatibility. Once that is done and Traveller HERO is again available, we could do more. But since nothing is available until the conversion document is ready, that's our first step. I'm about a quarter way done right now with a first pass.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

ok, Finally I have good news, what we need is help putting together the conversion document for 5E to 6E,  otherwise were good to go it looks like, I have now seen the slip case and cover art for the CD itself, and it looks pretty nice,

so i would appreciate any help I can get on this, I am going to start a new thread on this today

ok, Finally I have good news, what we need is help putting together the conversion document for 5E to 6E,  otherwise were good to go it looks like, I have now seen the slip case and cover art for the CD itself, and it looks pretty nice,

so i would appreciate any help I can get on this, I am going to start a new thread on this today

Shadowcat, I'll look for the new post. Thanks for keeping this alive.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All I have to say is that there needs to be a way for your PC to die during character creation.

Also, there should be a need to create 20 or so characters before you FINALLY get one with a starship, which then miss-jumps on it's very first attempt, ending up in deep space where the entire party slowly starves to death.

Yes, it was nearly 40 years ago, and yes, I'm STILL mad.

Nevertheless, I still love the Traveller setting  I played & GM'ed a TON of GURPS Traveller about 15 or so years ago.  I look forward to playing & GM'ing Hero Traveller.

• 3 weeks later...

All I have to say is that there needs to be a way for your PC to die during character creation.

Also, there should be a need to create 20 or so characters before you FINALLY get one with a starship, which then miss-jumps on it's very first attempt, ending up in deep space where the entire party slowly starves to death.

Yes, it was nearly 40 years ago, and yes, I'm STILL mad.

Nevertheless, I still love the Traveller setting  I played & GM'ed a TON of GURPS Traveller about 15 or so years ago.  I look forward to playing & GM'ing Hero Traveller.

Dying during character gen went away after the first revision of 1st edition. You could choose for a character to die, otherwise it was muster out with a crippling wound. As for the rest it sounds like your GM was really being a jerk.

BTW if you want that feel of rolling the character up, then run the PCs though one of the random career generators in one of the traveller editions. Keep track what happened every term, then use that to create the PC's background and the skills as a guideline for Hero Character gen.

Dying during character gen went away after the first revision of 1st edition. You could choose for a character to die, otherwise it was muster out with a crippling wound. As for the rest it sounds like your GM was really being a jerk.

BTW if you want that feel of rolling the character up, then run the PCs though one of the random career generators in one of the traveller editions. Keep track what happened every term, then use that to create the PC's background and the skills as a guideline for Hero Character gen.

Tasha hit the point I was going to make exactly

Traveller HERO is available on CD-ROM from Far Future Enterprises. I ordered and received a copy of the Traveller HERO game material today! It's available from FarFuture.net http://www.farfuture.net/FFE-CDROMs.html

I'm glad to see all of this available again.

Here's a list of the CD's contents: 

Guide to Traveller HERO

Core Rules

Traveller HERO Book 1: Adventurers in Charted Space

Traveller HERO Book 2: Adventure in Charted Space
Traveller HERO Book 3: Starship Construction In Charted Space

Traveller HERO Book 4: Starships in Charted Space

Traveller HERO Book 5: Psionics in Charted Space HERO Fifth Edition System Reference
HERO Fifth Edition System Basics
HERO Fifth Edition System Wikipedia

HERO Sixth Edition Character Conversion Summary

Starships

Golden Age Starships 1: Fast Courier
Golden Age Starships 2: Sword Worlds Patrol Cruiser
Golden Age Starships 3: Archaic Small Craft, Launches and Gigs Golden Age Starships 4: Ship's Boats and Pinnaces
Golden Age Starships 5: Cutters and Shuttles
Golden Age Starships 6: Corsair
Golden Age Starships 7: LSP Modular Starship
Sourcebook 1: Grand Fleet

The Spinward Marches

Spinward Marches Cluster Book 1: The Bowman Arm

Spinward Marches System Guide 1: Datrillian

Spinward Marches System Guide 2: Flexos
Spinward Marches Adventure 1: Call of the Wild

Spinward Marches Adventure 2: Range War

Supplements

Special Supplement 1: Robots of Charted Space