Traveller HERO conversion to 6th edition

donm61873

Just out of curiosity, as per the title of this thread, is there still an active effort to bring Traveler Hero to 6th ed.?

I don't think there's a way to get a licence from Far Futures to do more Hero Conversions. IIRC there's a exclusivity clause in Mongoose's Traveller Licence. Which is why we went from 4-5 different rulesets for traveller (Hero, D20, GURPS etc), to just one Mongoose Traveller (one more with Traveller 5). Shadowcat did a lot of work getting the 5e stuff on CD for sale again. I doubt we will see 6e stuff unless something changes with Mongoose. 

The Differences between versions means that the conversion is pretty easy. For folks who are not as fluent with 5e there is a conversion doc included on the CD.

• 5 years later...

you can get them here, but its file by file I think, you can get the whole CD with everything for 35.00 from Marc Miller directly

at this link https://www.farfuture.net/

you can download the ToC from there if you dont want the whole CD. if you dont have a CD drive, just ask Marc to put it all on a flash drive

it was written for 5E as 6E wasnt published yet, theres a conversion doc there on the CD. I can be reached on the Hero-Champions-RPG[Unoffical] Discord page

to answer questions. I was one of the authors of it

• 10 months later...

I was looking in the Hero store to see if there were any PDFs I wanted to buy, and saw the Traveler HERO 5th pdfs there for sale.  So I did a forum search and found this thread again.

One of my gaming/college friends has run a number of Traveller HERO campaigns over the years, and I'm glad to see that the work continues to live on.  My only complaint is that Shadowcat and I and Randy never got a penny out of the deal, but that's the fan author's life I guess. Our payment was being involved in something we enjoyed.

Fifteen years ago... 

On 10/23/2014 at 1:38 AM, donm61873 said:

So, is there anyone who has done some preliminary work on converting TH to HERO 6th, and is there enough interest that I would start collecting TH errata/material. Sadly, I know a TH CD is not an option.

Not done any work on that but I have some ideas.

I think you really do not have to abandon much of Star Hero to match it to Traveler at least as I remember it the system was very simple in mechanics and relied more on the roleplaying aspect of the players to fill in the blanks.  Not a lot of fiddly rules for 100 different versions of a laser rifle but then it was an old school game so it worked.

To my mind conversion to Star Hero would simply be having to add a bunch of fiddly rules for things but that is OK because in Hero the players c an just define that for themselves so you don't need three splat books just to list out all the weapons unless you want to and even then the weapons in the splat books that exist are just suggestions for players and tools for the GM to not have to create lots of stuff in advance.  Just supply the XL-7 Hand laser from the book, that is good enough for the Star Cops that pulled the party over, etc.

The real fun I think is to develop a character creation system similar to the Traveler system with choices to muster out or continue careers or just start as a 16 year old kid.

This could be accomplished with base templates for characters based on the race human or alien they desire, another for the planet type they come from hi grav world, spacer on strations, water worlds, single city hive worlds or colonies etc. and one more template for the career choices.

They have very few points on which to tweak their initial character starting out.  Instead the get say 25 points to spend after they muster out and they get specific bonuses for each career rank they make it through, specific points for powers or abilities or skills based on the results of the muster roll for every term of service, possible points for perks as well such as the ship perk as a set number of vehicle points.  Plus depending on the career 5 points per term or something of free points to add to the 25.  The charts and dice rolls for character creation making it a combination of character choice for specifically focused random results and hey maybe even the possibility to die in combat or get an injury etc. being a result.

I think seeing that well done in the Hero system while allowing limited customization pointwise would be cool. 

The biggest conversion problem is exactly skills, ironically.

Classic Traveller had very few skills- I think seventeen?  Going from memory, and the author himself,never considered them,to be that important.  I cannot- and would not dream of doing it- speak for him, but having watched him,run a com game decades ago, and having found online accounts from others who were as fortunate, skills were quite literally "does that seem like something your character would know?  Do you feel like you would know that?"

If thw answer was yes, then "where or how dis you learn it?" And the justification itself seemed,not to matter; only that there was one.  "Okay, you know that. Keep track of that; write it on your sheet."

In the game I witnessed, Miller, when a roll was called for, invariably selected a characteristic roll and went so far as to allow the player to pick the characteristic.

If the roll was successful, he would prompt "how dis that characteristic help you overcome the situation?"  You could not re-select any characteristic until you had used each characteristic once.

That was thw author's take on skills.  During a Q and A, he was asked about his style versus the skills in an the variius published expansions, and gave a nice crowd-pleasing answer to the effect of 'the fans kept demandinf skills- more skills, and more opportunities to gain skills.  That is why the new skills and advanced xharacter generation exist.  You guys wanted it; I never envisioned it working that way.

At any rate, that was my first exposure to "rules light" and "narrative-focused" gaming.  I can see that going South with the wrong group, but it was surprisingly elegant the way he handled it.

To get back,on track though:  that kind od thing is absolute _anathema_ to HERO's die-hard core fandom.  Let's take a step back and remember that these are the guys and this is the game wherein once upon a time, one grognard invented a campaign flavor that took _skill levels_ -- not even skills, mind you, but just skill levels- froze their effects, dipped their prices just a bit, and renamed,them Martial Arts Maneuvers, and not only,did the fans _like_ it, but  for the last roughly thirty years they have demanded that this interesting flavor game for a single campaign is, in fact, necessary and inviolable core rules of the game itself.

This is indicitive of the incompatibility issue with how Traveller uses (or used; I think today everyone plays Traveller like any other game, where a lack of skill means you cant do it, period, and probably don't even know what it looks like.  (Sorry, Mate.  I just checked my sheet and it seems i don't have "open doorknob" skill.  Unless you picked it up, we're stuck here...)

Hero, though, went so far as to provide a list of fifty skills and then add three "blank categories" to invent your own skill in case you sisnt see one you liked, and has kind of a tendency to push infinite cascades of specialization into those categories, etc, etc.

The upshot of all that is that the base principles of the skill systems are diametrically-opposed as to make-, well, if not the HERO System then the die haed HERO fans- totally,incompatible with the old career path system or any variant "lifeboat" system.

If you _do_ want to make it work (and you can, but you have to have people that want to play Traveller more thsn they want to exploit the HERO System, is to create youe charts with their lists of skills, assign the default to either a Characteristic Roll or 10-, and declare that this is _it_; these are all the skills that are availabke in this campaign, period.

Like any other campaign, they may or may not go for it.  Just for the love of everything you hold dear, make sure you are wearing heavy clothes, padded armor, and a catcher's mask when you point out that Martial,Arts is off the table.  

:lol:

I'm only just getting into Traveller myself.  My group in the 80's didn't seem to be into it, for whatever reason.  It's possible that they played it and then switched to Hero sometime before I joined.  They did a lot of conversions from various systems; a number of sci-fi games, converted or otherwise.  One was a conversion from Chaosium's Ringworld game, in fact.  Another converted game was Twilight 2000.  We used Danger International for the basis of almost all of those.  

Had the group intended to convert Traveller to Hero, there probably would have been a number of package deals, either gleaned from various sources (Danger International itself being a big one) or written up.  Lifepath character generation would probably have been modified; you would have chosen a package deal based on your first Traveller career.  Our group was mostly former or future military, so the military careers would have been heavily represented, and there probably would have been a large number of MOS's written up as additional packages.  There would have been smaller skill packages for promotions, or for crossing into a career that wasn't your first, and quite possibly required prerequisites (so you'd have to already have some kind of spacecraft Skills before joining the Navy, for example).  

Promotion and reenlistment would have probably been done via the "brownie points" and agency rules in DI and RW.  (We didn't have Star Hero yet because it didn't exist.)  Events in the lifepath would have informed brownie point gains and losses, and final word on promotions and reenlistment would have been done with a service roll modified by brownie points, decorations, and possibly Luck/Unluck.  Failing a survival roll would have probably gone to a random Disadvantage table one of the members probably would have written up; options on that probably would have been Hunted, Physical Limitation, Psych Limitation, Rivalry, Watched, or player's/GM's choice.  Jeff probably would have said, with a grin, "If you really want your character to die during creation we can do that, but it's a waste of our time out of character, not to mention the service has spent hundreds of thousands of credits training you this far, so we're not going to do that."  At least two players would have bragged about how many of their characters did die during creation, though. 

Replacement characters (for PCs who died in play) probably would have been written up from scratch, just because we'd all have gotten tired of rolling lifepaths for Hero System characters by then.  

If needed, we also had the Here There Be Tigers supplement, for Characteristic regression from having been out of the service for however many years, plus the Age Disadvantage from DI.  Psionic abilities would have been taken out of Justice Inc. if there were characters who were psionic.  

All of that is to say:  if you want to roll your character's career path using Traveller, feel free, but as with any conversions, note that one system's mechanics aren't ever going to translate precisely into another's.  And you're probably going to be playing in a game without Powers, unless someone is psionic, in which case you're going to be extremely limited in what you can choose and how many Active Points you can have.  

Here is a 100% optional scheme I've just jotted down in a Google doc for randomizing terms for Traveller Hero characters.  I have no idea if this will work; use it at your own risk!  I've also provided options for characters from every edition from first through sixth.  It's certainly not pure Traveller, and assumes you have Danger International for the brownie points rules on pages 124-125.  Enjoy! 

Starting Character Creation

Start with your basic character.  

Edition

1st-3rd

Base 60 + up to 25 Disadvantages*

4th

Base 60 + up to 25 Disadvantages

5th

Base 60 + up to 25 Disadvantages

6th

100 Total Points with up to 25 Matching Complications**

* At the GM's discretion, use the higher Champions values for Disadvantages, or double the corresponding DI/RW point value, rounding to the nearest 5 points.  Don't use the diminishing returns rules for Disadvantages.  

** These are absolutely Matching Complications.  Minimum of 75 points, with up to 25 additional points from Complications.  You don't get the points if you don't take the Complications!

Build your character as a normal.  Normal Characteristic Maxima are in effect, and it's very likely you won't even approach those.  (Effectively: Primary Characteristics should have a maximum of 15, and Figured/Secondary Characteristics should have a maximum equal to 75-80% of Normal Maxima.)  

Enlistment

We're assuming you try for a career of some kind; "enlistment" is the term we'll use for getting into that career.  

We are assuming terms of four years each, as with standard Traveller.  The GM can assign minimum Characteristic values to qualify for a career, or can assume that the first term's points will be assigned to bring them up to the minimum.  Any character that, for whatever reason, doesn't meet the qualifications for reenlistment, will be discharged.  

Upon enlistment in a career, the character gains the initial skills package for that career.  For military careers, this will often be a basic training package plus one or more MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) packages.  For non-military careers, this will include a basic training package plus one or more advancement packages.  

At the end of each term, a character should gain +20 total points; +10 of those points will be added to the character's Base Points, and an additional 10 points worth of Disadvantages or Complications.  (If using 6th edition, increase the award to +15 base points and +10 points worth of Complications, for +25 points total.)  These Disadvantages/Complications will most likely be suggested by the character's service record during the term, or the player may choose from a list suggested by the GM or as desired.  

Service Record

We will use the "brownie points" system from Danger International or Robot Warriors to represent a character's service record.  At the end of every service year (not term), the character will roll one positive die and one negative die (reading a 6 on the negative die as a 0).  Subtract the negative die from the positive die; the result is the amount of brownie points the character gains (or loses).  Note that this is not necessarily a net gain or loss; the GM and player may optionally look at each die on the brownie points table on DI p. 125 to assign them to actions.  The negative die will likely be one action, though it could be broken up and assigned to smaller ones.  The positive die will likely be the result of a number of smaller actions.  Either way, record the character's brownie point total for the year.  

At the end of the first service year, and at the end of every service year in which the character reaches a breakpoint on the Agency Roll Modifiers table (DI p. 125), the character may attempt promotion.  The character should make their agency roll, which has a base roll of 8-, modified based on their brownie points total as shown.  Characters can attempt to modify their agency roll as noted on DI p. 125, using any of the listed Skills, or others at the GM's discretion, with the potential for brownie point losses as noted.  

At the end of each four year term, the character may either reenlist or leave the service.  If the character has at least as many brownie points as years in service, reenlistment is automatic if the character wishes.  If not, the character needs to make an agency roll, as modified by the table on DI p. 125.  Success on the agency roll means the character may reenlist; failure means an honorable discharge, if the character has a positive value in brownie points, or a different type of discharge if not.  (Alternatives are general discharge, discharge under other than honorable conditions, and dishonorable discharge.)  

A character who chooses not to reenlist, and has a positive brownie point total, receives an honorable discharge.  

Combat

It's assumed that characters will see combat, especially in military oriented careers; in any given term, there is an 8- chance during peacetime, or 11- during wartime, that the character will see combat.  (Each career will have its combat chances listed.)  The player and GM can optionally play out a combat, with the other players taking over NPCs in the character's unit.  The combat should be treated as an action on the brownie points table on DI p. 125, and the character may be promoted (or potentially demoted) based on how they acquitted themselves during combat.  If the combat is not played out, the character may roll one positive die and one negative die as above for brownie points, potentially modified by a Skill Roll (decided by the GM with the player's input, but usually their highest career-related Skill); on a successful Skill Roll, the player rolls two positive dice and one negative die, while on a critical failure (18) the player rolls one positive die and two negative dice!  (These negative dice still read 6 as 0, so it's possible for the character to critically fail this roll and still receive positive brownie points.)

Characters may receive Impairing or Disabling wounds during combat!  (Note also that characters will likely be assigned armor of some kind, and this will reduce the severity of wounds received.)  These may result in Characteristic losses.  At the end of a term, if a character has remaining Characteristic losses from wounds, and has not received high tech treatment to improve things, the character may take a point rebate on lost Characteristics to spend those points elsewhere.  The character should also take their Disadvantages or Complications for the term as Physical Limitations/Complications!  

It is also possible that the character might not survive the combat.  If not, the player should feel free to start over with a new character.  

(Note that this takes the place of a survival roll under Traveller rules.)

Switching Careers

If a character does not reenlist in a career, they may attempt to enlist in another career.  The character must meet any minimum Characteristics qualifications required by the new career, and must have at least 80% of the skills provided by that career's basic training package.  If both the previous and new careers are military, the character will carry over their previous brownie point total, ignoring the highest negative brownie point die.  For the first year of service in the new career, the character will be at a one rank reduction from their previous service, receiving an automatic promotion to their previous rank at the end of the year (unless brownie point losses drop them below a breakpoint).  Additional brownie point gains and losses are as above.  

Aging

Aging is optional, determined by the GM.  Once a character reaches the age of 40 (not 34 as in standard Traveller), and are still in the service, the character may take the Age Disadvantage as one of their end-of-term Disadvantage choices.  If they do, they must refigure their Characteristic costs, using points gained from the Age Disadvantage to offset any additional physical Characteristic costs; the character may also reduce their physical Characteristics to the maxima provided under the Age Disadvantage.  Points gained back from this reduction may be spent on mental Characteristics, if desired.  

Character Point Totals

The GM may set a maximum number of terms served for characters, or a maximum number of total points.  Once a character has reached either of these milestones, they are done with pre-adventuring careers and must enter play!  

After four terms, a character in 1st through 5th editions will have gained +40 base points, and +40 in Disadvantages, bringing them up to 100 base points and 65 points in Disadvantages; a 6th edition character will have gained +60 base points and +40 in Complications, making them 200 total points with 65 points in Matching Complications.  

On 4/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, Duke Bushido said:

The biggest conversion problem is exactly skills, ironically.

Classic Traveller had very few skills- I think seventeen?  Going from memory, and the author himself,never considered them,to be that important.  I cannot- and would not dream of doing it- speak for him, but having watched him,run a com game decades ago, and having found online accounts from others who were as fortunate, skills were quite literally "does that seem like something your character would know?  Do you feel like you would know that?"

If thw answer was yes, then "where or how dis you learn it?" And the justification itself seemed,not to matter; only that there was one.  "Okay, you know that. Keep track of that; write it on your sheet."

In the game I witnessed, Miller, when a roll was called for, invariably selected a characteristic roll and went so far as to allow the player to pick the characteristic.

If the roll was successful, he would prompt "how dis that characteristic help you overcome the situation?"  You could not re-select any characteristic until you had used each characteristic once.

That was thw author's take on skills.  During a Q and A, he was asked about his style versus the skills in an the variius published expansions, and gave a nice crowd-pleasing answer to the effect of 'the fans kept demandinf skills- more skills, and more opportunities to gain skills.  That is why the new skills and advanced xharacter generation exist.  You guys wanted it; I never envisioned it working that way.

At any rate, that was my first exposure to "rules light" and "narrative-focused" gaming.  I can see that going South with the wrong group, but it was surprisingly elegant the way he handled it.

To get back,on track though:  that kind od thing is absolute _anathema_ to HERO's die-hard core fandom.  Let's take a step back and remember that these are the guys and this is the game wherein once upon a time, one grognard invented a campaign flavor that took _skill levels_ -- not even skills, mind you, but just skill levels- froze their effects, dipped their prices just a bit, and renamed,them Martial Arts Maneuvers, and not only,did the fans _like_ it, but  for the last roughly thirty years they have demanded that this interesting flavor game for a single campaign is, in fact, necessary and inviolable core rules of the game itself.

This is indicitive of the incompatibility issue with how Traveller uses (or used; I think today everyone plays Traveller like any other game, where a lack of skill means you cant do it, period, and probably don't even know what it looks like.  (Sorry, Mate.  I just checked my sheet and it seems i don't have "open doorknob" skill.  Unless you picked it up, we're stuck here...)

Hero, though, went so far as to provide a list of fifty skills and then add three "blank categories" to invent your own skill in case you sisnt see one you liked, and has kind of a tendency to push infinite cascades of specialization into those categories, etc, etc.

The upshot of all that is that the base principles of the skill systems are diametrically-opposed as to make-, well, if not the HERO System then the die haed HERO fans- totally,incompatible with the old career path system or any variant "lifeboat" system.

If you _do_ want to make it work (and you can, but you have to have people that want to play Traveller more thsn they want to exploit the HERO System, is to create youe charts with their lists of skills, assign the default to either a Characteristic Roll or 10-, and declare that this is _it_; these are all the skills that are availabke in this campaign, period.

Like any other campaign, they may or may not go for it.  Just for the love of everything you hold dear, make sure you are wearing heavy clothes, padded armor, and a catcher's mask when you point out that Martial,Arts is off the table.  

:lol:

And you always seem to ignore that Martial Arts as skills were in other books prior to Ninja Hero, Third Edition to boot.  From what I’m understanding of Traveller, I could use Robot Warrior as is for it.

6 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

From what I’m understanding of Traveller, I could use Robot Warrior as is for it.

Star Hero for 3rd edition might actually be a better 3rd edition book for Traveller than Robot Warriors.  I would probably pull in RW and DI and even parts from JI and FH though, to be honest.  

On 4/7/2022 at 11:28 AM, Chris Goodwin said:

I'm only just getting into Traveller myself.  My group in the 80's didn't seem to be into it, for whatever reason.

We were big players of Traveller.  But unlike many people I have met, we stopped when the available adventures and source books shifted from "insert anywhere" to being tied to their setting. 

I look back and laugh because these days I am so used to modifying things to fit my own campaign I almost don't notice and back then we simply didn't consider doing it.

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

And you always seem to ignore that Martial Arts as skills were in other books prior to Ninja Hero,

Martial arts from all pre- Ninaj HERO editions:

What is your STR?

Pay that much.  Enjoy 1.5 x punch damage and 2x kick damage.  Enjoy a few poorly-explained maneuvers printed on your character sheet.

I dont ignore it; I acknowledge that I cannot think of anyone who tried it more than once or twice before figuring out they could just split those points between STR and skill levels and attain the same or,better results, and high enough STR costs meant you could save points and have a more effective "martial artist."   I ignore the pre-Alston Martial Arts no more than anyone but the most die-hard MA movie aficionado did during that era.  Concept or not, very few people were so taken with "hey! I can buy martial arts skill" that they kneecapped their own characters to have them.

Though technically, it is fair to say that I ignore it as much as everyone else ignores that the hyper-unique 'martial Arts system' is just name-brand skill levels.

Third Edition to boot.  From what I’m understanding of Traveller, I could use Robot Warrior as is for it.

You could use DI for it, or .... Crap.   We've been referring to it so long as 'action HERO' that now I actually cant think of the name!   :rofl:

anyway, you can use pretty much any heroic level rules to play Traveller.  It's All a,matter of what you want to convert, and how you want to do it.  Each decision you make has some imoact on the flavir of the final result, though, so keep in mind throughout your chosen conversion just what feel you want for the end product.

Me?  I like that "died in character generation" feel.   Ha!  :D

dark Champions!

That was it!

It finally,circled,around.  :)

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Martial arts from all pre- Ninaj HERO editions:

What is your STR?

Pay that much.  Enjoy 1.5 x punch damage and 2x kick damage.  Enjoy a few poorly-explained maneuvers printed on your character sheet.

I dont ignore it; I acknowledge that I cannot think of anyone who tried it more than once or twice before figuring out they could just split those points between STR and skill levels and attain the same or,better results, and high enough STR costs meant you could save points and have a more effective "martial artist."   I ignore the pre-Alston Martial Arts no more than anyone but the most die-hard MA movie aficionado did during that era.  Concept or not, very few people were so taken with "hey! I can buy martial arts skill" that they kneecapped their own characters to have them.

Though technically, it is fair to say that I ignore it as much as everyone else ignores that the hyper-unique 'martial Arts system' is just name-brand skill levels.

You could use DI for it, or .... Crap.   We've been referring to it so long as 'action HERO' that now I actually cant think of the name!   :rofl:

anyway, you can use pretty much any heroic level rules to play Traveller.  It's All a,matter of what you want to convert, and how you want to do it.  Each decision you make has some imoact on the flavir of the final result, though, so keep in mind throughout your chosen conversion just what feel you want for the end product.

Me?  I like that "died in character generation" feel.   Ha!  :D

dark Champions!

That was it!

It finally,circled,around.  :)

Actually I didn’t know that Star Hero was for 3rd. Btw, just curious, was there some sort of Martial Arts in Star Hero?

Star Hero for third was the very last third edition product published.  Ninja Hero for 4th was published sometime after the BBB and I think after Fantasy Hero.  

The current martial arts system first appeared in Danger International.  Allston used it with his Strike Force group, and apparently liked it well enough to expand in Ninja Hero. I think he put martial art forms in Mythic Greece as well.

12 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

Sure, but the basic martial arts system -- the idea that you buy the maneuvers individually as part of a package -- that got used for 4th edition first appeared in Danger International.

That’s interesting and good to know. I always thought that individual maneuvers bought was from Ninja Hero.

On 11/1/2014 at 11:13 AM, zslane said:

If I might make a suggestion/request: remove any references to/dependencies on Terran Empire or other Star Hero sourcebooks.

The Traveller universe is, or should be, its own standalone setting; the core TH6e book(s) should be self-contained enough that they make no reference to anything except, maybe, Star Hero. I don't mind books from other settings listed in the "Recommended Reading" section, but I just don't feel I should ever see a sentence like this:

"For Senators and Representatives, use the Senator package in Terran Empire, page 108, but change the major contact to the appropriate leader."

Followed by a conspicuously missing template box for the Senator professional template.

Absolutely. This should be presented as its own game, and complete within itself. it should have no reference to other books (except maybe the 6e Rules book for specific details...maybe). 

That’s interesting and good to know. I always thought that individual maneuvers bought was from Ninja Hero.

Nope.  Ninja HERO was just the big deep-dive into the entire thing.  I have heard_ but do not know for sure_ that Ninja HERO was actually the result of Alston' martial campaign, and carried further after the refinements of playtesting with his group, etc, etc.