Modern day mage's outfit?

Ragitsu

This is going to depend significantly on the system of magic and background of the character.  If you magic requires isolation, long study, and dedication, they will dress differently from someone who can whip up a spell on their tablet over lunch and magic is easy, free, and picked up by individuals.

Robes were worn by wizard types in old stereotype because that was the clothing of the academic and the studious.  It depicted someone learned and intelligent.  The "free flowing" etc was just a later excuse to make sense of the type.  That gives you an idea of how clothing might be shaped by background and concept of magic.

What I imagine a modern day mage would not wear is the same damn thing as everyone else.

Are you looking for standard uniform that all wizards' wear or are you looking for personal fashion? 

The mage works on their own. That said, the outfit just has to scream what they are (not literally, of course)...in a modern context :yes:

A touch of professionalism is welcome, but, if too much of it returns, I may as well go with a traditional suit.

If sorcery requires many materials and foci, then that would seem to encourage a lot of pockets; hence jackets and coats.  I also note that the 'stereotypical' wizard is often attired in garments that bear glyphs and runes of some significance.  So now we're talking about jackets and other pieces that are heavily decorated, with a lot of flair.

In a fully practical sense, I agree with you. Were the mages of a modern day setting part of a guild, even full-time traveling "troubleshooters", then garments with the pockets being clearly displayed (and, therefore, accessible) fit the bill.

However, i'd like to keep an air of mystery about this NPC. In that light, it would seem that having concealed pouches/pockets/compartments work better to help maintain the image I have in mind. There is also the association many people have with real-life stage magicians and their "sleight-of-hand" tricks that require deft misdirection and clever momentary storage in some unseen nook.

I understand your wanting to stay away from cloaks and robes... although personally I rather like my ankle length hooded half circle cloak.... lots of room for pockets, re-inforcing, sheaths for small knives or other fun things... its just a matter of taste... and there great for hiding things under... even if its just a couple of pockets for something the size of a 12 oz can of liquid[seen it done, velcro closures, heavy duty thread that was probably closer to fishing line. next thought for a less archaic cloak would be a Duster style or Mantled coat. the biggest disadvantage to the long cloak being bulk, and if you leave it sitting horizontally for more than a few seconds its going to attract all the cats that can find it. but they also make great blankets... especially in emergencies

Maybe a camera bag (lots of pockets) as an accessory instead of pockets all built into some long garment of some kind?

For a component-heavy mage of action, photo journalists might be a good way in general. Those vests might be ugly, but the only other way to get that many pockets and loops would be either tailoring or looking like an EDC survivalist d-bag.

For a component-heavy mage of action, photo journalists might be a good way in general. Those vests might be ugly, but the only other way to get that many pockets and loops would be either tailoring or looking like an EDC survivalist d-bag.

Speaking of EDC survivalist d-bags, I've noticed a cottage industry of apparel geared toward "contractors" or concealed-carry d-bags, that have many concealed pockets for firearms, magazines, knives, and whatnot. These might be good options for corporate mage security bad guys.

my principle uk mage is the physician she hunts monster for the crown and uses a combination of enchanted fire arms and blades mundane weapons her look is tweed hunting garb riding boots in heavy combat she wears a bullet proof vest with a silver and cold iron strike plates. she also carries a satchel with extra ammo and spell gear plus a few white phosphorus grenades.

something more modern for a male mage would be a waist coat(vest) in red silk or velvet embroidered with runes and sigils with a silver watch chain hung with a few amulets as well as a pocket watch with celestial calendar for calculating time for ritual magic. over a white linen shirt with rolled up sleeves to show off mystic tattoos and silver rings of power (great for punching werewolves) jeans or mole skin pants an leather trainers.

something more casual would be a stylish hoodie and combat pants and a messenger bag for gear. hang some talismans and fetishes around your neck and w

rist.Red_d25d1359-4412-4bc0-b5b6-4a22c1b5d2a7

14d5_technomancer_digital_wizard_hoodie.

I like the hoodie with the blue lights. 

• 1 month later...

Regarding the mages bag: Sean O'Lachlan, the forensic sorcerer in the Lord Darcy novels, got arrested once and his bag was left behind. Once he was left alone in his cell, he cast a spell to summon it. People headed his way picked it up and carried it closer, setting it down when their path began to move away again. All without noticing.

As for outfits with pockets available on the market, I own two fishing vests, and have never gone fishing. For that matter, I carried a camera bag for 5 years before putting a camera in it.

• 5 weeks later...

^ Oooh, I dig the second type of sneaker. The bottom border (if you could share the appropriate term for this section of the shoe, i'd appreciate that) needs to be dark too, and the entire sneaker needs to be "fancied up" a bit. Finally, the golden emblem ought to reflect something suitably mystical (such as an ankh, pentagram, or Caduceus wand).