Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

Some of us are brave enough to go the the theatres. I've had Covid and am vaccinated plus I'll be wearing a mask. 

It's not about being brave or anything.  It is about the theaters losing their luster long before the covid because they refused to support their customers by kicking out the A$$hats that never could shut up while the movie was playing.

I saw most movies on disc or streaming because of this in the last decade.  I did go to a local theater that had some showing that were not popular so there was a smaller audience that seemed to understand the basic skill of shutting up during the show.  But from what I understand they have not restarted those times.

But I will pay money to watch a movie that is entertaining as long as I can actually watch the movie.  Which is almost a non-existent thing in the 2020's.

2 hours ago, Spence said:

Isn't it more like 3 or 4 months?  I know I will not be paying an additional $29.99 (or $31.99) just to stream it. 

I'll be waiting for the regular streaming release at a less insane price. 

Local theatre will be showing it in 4 days, if i want to see it. Thinking about it. 

11 hours ago, Spence said:

It's not about being brave or anything.  It is about the theaters losing their luster long before the covid because they refused to support their customers by kicking out the A$$hats that never could shut up while the movie was playing.

I saw most movies on disc or streaming because of this in the last decade.  I did go to a local theater that had some showing that were not popular so there was a smaller audience that seemed to understand the basic skill of shutting up during the show.  But from what I understand they have not restarted those times.

But I will pay money to watch a movie that is entertaining as long as I can actually watch the movie.  Which is almost a non-existent thing in the 2020's.

One advantage to living in a small town and not having to work during day, I tend to go to early afternoon weekday showings on non discount days. So most showings I go to have less then 10 people in the theater, and spread out enough that no one bothers each other.

23 minutes ago, slikmar said:

One advantage to living in a small town and not having to work during day, I tend to go to early afternoon weekday showings on non discount days. So most showings I go to have less then 10 people in the theater, and spread out enough that no one bothers each other.

Years ago when I was younger I was a vampire (worked the night and slept most of the day) and was able to go to the theater while most people were at work.  That may have been what spoiled me and in the end makes me no longer go to theaters. 

Of course there have been fleeting times when theaters opened that had a few adult only screens, some that even served food and a pint during the movie.  But they routinely get put out of business by the miserable scum that simply cannot allow people to have fun and make it their purpose to try and drag everyone down to their level of despair.  

But that is the world that we live in.  Luckily I am old enough I will most likely pass on before they truly get what they are working so hard for.

4 hours ago, Spence said:

But they routinely get put out of business by the miserable scum that simply cannot allow people to have fun and make it their purpose to try and drag everyone down to their level of despair.  

But that is the world that we live in.  Luckily I am old enough I will most likely pass on before they truly get what they are working so hard for.

I never knew you were such a Pollyanna. 😁

10 hours ago, Spence said:

Of course there have been fleeting times when theaters opened that had a few adult only screens, some that even served food and a pint during the movie.  But they routinely get put out of business by the miserable scum that simply cannot allow people to have fun and make it their purpose to try and drag everyone down to their level of despair. 

Maybe the solution would be having such theaters owned and run by people other than miserable scum: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/alamo-drafthouse-crisis-allegations-sexual-assault-harassment-mount-1043207/

I tend not to rush to see a movie in a theater as soon as it opens, so I don't usually experience packed houses, and that may color my perceptions; but I've rarely had a theater visit outright spoiled by audience members. However, what I experience in a theater is different from watching a movie at home. The big screen in a big space, the sound around me and through me, the responses to the movie by the other audience members... there's a sense of community there, of sharing in a collective event, of being part of something bigger than myself. IMHO no home theater setup, however elaborate, can offer that.

On 7/4/2021 at 4:11 AM, Lord Liaden said:

I tend not to rush to see a movie in a theater as soon as it opens, so I don't usually experience packed houses, and that may color my perceptions; but I've rarely had a theater visit outright spoiled by audience members. However, what I experience in a theater is different from watching a movie at home. The big screen in a big space, the sound around me and through me, the responses to the movie by the other audience members... there's a sense of community there, of sharing in a collective event, of being part of something bigger than myself. IMHO no home theater setup, however elaborate, can offer that.

We do movies at the theater because it is a rare opportunity for a date night, but all of these reasons are perfectly valid too.  :)

On 7/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, Starlord said:

$30 for a whole family to watch a movie is fine with me.  My couch is comfy and the popcorn is cheaper.

And a HECK of a lot better.

(I have a silicon bowl and lid to do it in the microwave.  With seasoned olive oil...I started using the oil from my low-temp baked veggies, which retain the seasoning added on the veggies.  We're only talking 275 oven;  there's no oil breakdown that low.  And the oil has absorbed the flavors (garilc, onion, pepper, herbs).

Or alternately, throw in onion and/or garlic powder with fresh oil, and just make sure to toss it round a bit.  Get the seasoning into the oil.  

And good popcorn.  Last order was a sampler pack of 10 different bags of Amish Country popcorn;  also ordered a bunch from Hoosier Hill farms.  We're talking about $3/pound, and I do ~ 50-55 grams at a time.  More than that doesn't work;  either you'll have too many old maids, or you'll risk burning the kernels.  So we're talking 35 cents for the kernels...if I'm using the flavored oil from dinner, that's effectively free.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Still a problem, the mix is terrible in movies these days.  Its just as bad at home but at least you can pause or monkey with the settings

I haven't found the sound mix to be bad when I'm playing a movie at home*, but I've had a number of bad experiences in theaters throughout the years. Much of it is maintenance, as management doesn't always see the value in paying to repair or replace failed components. I remember a conversation with a theater manager a number of years ago, who was very proud that he wasn't using THX certification any more, because of the cost. He kind of missed the point that we were actually complaining about the sound quality in the auditorium. I've also been in a showing where the sound was messed up by someone who worked at the theater deciding that louder is better, and boosting all levels to the point of distortion.

*My sound setup at home is an Onkyo 7.1 system with the rear speakers set to be height channels for Dolby Atmos playback. Everything's balanced for where I sit, and the object-based sound effects can be awesome. Dialog is usually very crisp, as well.

Heads up for those of you who read digital comic books.  Until July 17th, Comixology has essentially every comic book that Black Widow played a lead role in at a steeply discounted price, and if you have Comixology Unlimited you can borrow them for free as long as you like.  I have started with Black Widow Epic Collection: Beware of the Black Widow which begins with her first appearance as a villain in Tale of Suspense  #52 and goes from there.  So far it has been a lot fun.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:22 PM, Bazza said:

Black Widow opens today. I decided with everything going on in this crazy world to wait until Sunday to see it, particularly as I have a gift card from Christmas to use. 

Disney wants $29.99 to stream it on top of Disney+!!!!

They are insane and *ell no. 

2 minutes ago, Greywind said:

They made that clear when they announced the decision to release it both in theaters and stream.

I know, I am not disputing that at all.  It is just they are insane if they think I am going to pay literally double what it would cost me to go to a theater to watch it at home. 

$7.99 + $29.99 = $37.98

That is literally the definition of insanity.