Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

I'd like to read a detailed explanation of how a remote, hidden African nation can be both completely isolated from the rest of the world and also much more technologically advanced. The two states are pretty much mutually exclusive (as I'm sure learned archaeologists, anthropologists, sociologists, and economists could attest). Oh, right, I forgot, there's magic in the MCU now... (groan)

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to read a detailed explanation of how a remote, hidden African nation can be both completely isolated from the rest of the world and also much more technologically advanced. The two states are pretty much mutually exclusive (as I'm sure learned archaeologists, anthropologists, sociologists, and economists could attest). Oh, right, I forgot, there's magic in the MCU now... (groan)

Unless an alien vessel crashed in the area and the locals have been studying it's tech for centuries and have been using the resources on said ship to build their economy which, in at least one continuity of Black Panther's origin, is the explanation for their wealth and Wakandan vibranium.  Also the fact that Black Panther took part in Civil War would seem to indicate Wakanda is not completely isolated from the rest of the world.  After all if they were, he wouldn't have been there.

Unless an alien vessel crashed in the area and the locals have been studying it's tech for centuries and have been using the resources on said ship to build their economy which, in at least one continuity of Black Panther's origin, is the explanation for their wealth and Wakandan vibranium.  Also the fact that Black Panther took part in Civil War would seem to indicate Wakanda is not completely isolated from the rest of the world.  After all if they were, he wouldn't have been there.

Oh, right, I forgot that "alien tech" has the same handwavey power to do impossible things as magic. I hope we get to see this amazing alien ship in the movie.

Its been a Long time, but I was under the impression that Wakanda was not isolated, they just did not allow outsiders to visit. I think the current Prince, now King studied in America (NY of course!) and they were so severe about outsiders because of some bad experiances in their history...?

I'd like to read a detailed explanation of how a remote, hidden African nation can be both completely isolated from the rest of the world and also much more technologically advanced. The two states are pretty much mutually exclusive

Yeah its one of those comic book things, like how Mr Fantastic can build a gadget for anything but never releases it to the public.  A super rich, high tech African nation that.... keeps it all to its self and lets other nearby nations starve!  Eh, oh well, its the comics, who cares, really?  I don't read comics for the logic and consistency.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a comic story discussed that revealed Wakanda had a wide-spectrum cure for cancer and was withholding it from the rest of the world to stick it to The Man, or somesuch. Nevermind that I'm pretty sure cancer is a problem for native African populations as well as European colonial powers.

Of course advanced tech in a hidden city could easily be explained by past contact with, say, someone like the Asgardians whose wonders are being depicted as technological rather than magic in the MCU.

From Wikipedia:

Technology base

Due to its isolation and intentional isolationism, Wakandan technology has, until recently, developed entirely independently of that of the rest of the world. As such, the design philosophies and methodologies are different, and often incompatible, with conventional equipment. Wakanda is the world's most technologically advanced country. For example, Wakandan computer technology is much more powerful than that of the rest of the world, and is completely immune to outside hacking, as it is not based on binary electronics; it can, however, emulate the behavior of such electronics at hugely enhanced efficiencies, allowing it to easily hack almost any conventional system. Vibranium was used liberally in Wakandan tech, but the recent destruction of all Vibranium has forced large-scale redesigns.

I figured that vibranium is the enabling device for Wakandan technology, rather than magic or aliens. "The most versatile substance on the planet," as cinematic Ultron put it. I guess it's like, what if there was only one country in the world that had petroleum?

However, I doubt that MCU Wakanda's science has evolved entirely independently from the rest of the world, which has obviously heard of it, although not the truth of it. I'm sure Wakandans have studied in other countries before this.

So they're going with the intriguing notion of parallel development. That is certainly plausible up to a point. But it doesn't explain the existence of large industry and a high wealth state economy while being isolationist. The difficulty of maintaining a smooth flow of trade with other nations when you never allow them (or their goods) onto your lands is problematic. You need a complex network of external shipping and storage depots, which need constant security, etc. Not to mention all the raw materials (and the labor force) needed to build everything "the most advanced society on Earth" needs. You can't acquire those things by simply sending out emissaries now and then.

Yeah Vibranium is the source of their tech, I'm pretty sure.  But you know, that's probably been rewritten 3 or 4 times since I last read about Wakanda decades ago. Now its probably transgender mice or something.

"What do you want to do tonight, Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky -- try to steal all the vibranium in Wakanda!"

So they're going with the intriguing notion of parallel development. That is certainly plausible up to a point. But it doesn't explain the existence of large industry and a high wealth state economy while being isolationist. The difficulty of maintaining a smooth flow of trade with other nations when you never allow them (or their goods) onto your lands is problematic. You need a complex network of external shipping and storage depots, which need constant security, etc. Not to mention all the raw materials (and the labor force) needed to build everything "the most advanced society on Earth" needs. You can't acquire those things by simply sending out emissaries now and then.

Well, the Chinese imperial government created designated trading centers on the fringes of their territory, and an elaborate mercantile bureaucracy, specifically to keep the "barbarians" they traded with from penetrating their society. Perhaps Wakanda has a similar arrangement to keep outsiders at arm's length. They may even use their neighbors as intermediaries, or only trade with partners they trust. It might also make a difference as to how collectivized the labor force is in terms of sharing the wealth, and how motivated they are to make sacrifices for the common good. Post-WW II Japan was notable for the willingness of its populace to put rebuilding their country ahead of their own comfort.

Depending on how "versatile" vibranium turns out to be, Wakanda may not even need many of the goods the outside world considers essential.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a comic story discussed that revealed Wakanda had a wide-spectrum cure for cancer and was withholding it from the rest of the world to stick it to The Man, or somesuch. Nevermind that I'm pretty sure cancer is a problem for native African populations as well as European colonial powers.

That is not exactly true.  The offered it to the rest of world at price, and the rest of the world has so far not chosen to pay.  However, since the rest of the world may in time change its position on this, it makes sense for Wakanda to hold out on the offer.