Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOM HOLLAND CONFIRMS FAN THEORY ABOUT SPIDER-MAN’S CAMEO IN ‘IRON MAN 2’

http://screencrush.com/iron-man-2-spider-man-easter-egg-confirmed/

As the theory goes, this little tyke is a very young Peter Parker. The timing works; there was six years between Iron Man 2 and Captain America: Civil War, and Peter’s only about 15 in the new films. Plus the Stark Expo where this scene takes place is in Queens, which is Peter’s hometown. Peter and Tony have a father-son (or at least big brother-little brother) dynamic in Spider-Man: Homecoming, and this would be an awesome bit of foreshadowing for that.

Still, Spider-Man was still firmly in Sony’s full control back in 2010. Surely Marvel couldn’t have planted this seed way back when?

Except, apparently, they did. Per Holland:

I do think the webbing on Holland's costume could definitely use a little punching up - either darker lines or borrow the silver from Sony. It's hard to see even in the trailers (but maybe not on the big screen).

Still, it's pretty faithful and I like it over all. 

Holland's looks more like a throwback to the early Spider-Man comic-book costume, whereas Maguire's was inspired by the suit depicted when his movies were made. That "spider" on Holland's chest is closer in size to the original suit's symbol; but the trailers have revealed that it's not primarily a symbol. It's the switch that activates the tech in the suit, and also appears able to detach and fly independently -- perhaps an update to the "spider-tracer." In neither case would it be desirable to make it too big a target.

Despite the title, this vid is mostly about how Marvel could maybe sometimes be a little more careful about how & when they mix jokes in with their drama. As the video points out, mixing dramatic moments with comedic bits in order to make both land more effectively is Joss Whedon's trademark style, and that has kindof set the style for the MCU. And I'll certainly take that over the DCEU "No Jokes" policy. But not all the MCU writers are as good at it as Joss is, and when used carelessly you can wind up undercutting the dramatic resonance of your Big Moments rather than highlighting them. By contrast, WW did a perfect job of using humor sparingly to serve the story & characters while letting the Big Dramatic Moments be Big and Dramatic without worrying about being too "cheesy."

Unlike the video author, I thought the Stark quipping in Civil War helped to contrast him with Steve, just as Clint & Natasha's joking served as a contrast to when Wanda throws Natasha aside and basically tells Clint to quit screwing around because this isn't a game to her. But I think he has a point overall. I enjoyed the jokes in Dr. Strange, but I do think that movie could've perhaps benefited from a slightly less-jokey tone.