Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus from a film-making standpoint, it avoids the problem of paying Handsome Actor millions of dollars but then forcing him to hide his face for most of the movie.

Being encased in armor, for instance, has never been an issue. The faces of both Tony and Rhodey are always visible to the audience, even while in their armor. Moreover, many classic comic book costumes don't cover the face, Scarlet Witch being a prime example. Clearly, concerns over hiding the pretty actor behind a costume was not a factor with her. Other, less compelling (to me, anyway), reasoning was applied.

Now, masks are another matter, but even there they've seen fit to put Cap in his mask (or some form of it), to put Spidey in his mask, to make Vision completely red, and to project Scott Lang's personality almost entirely through Rudd's voice performance while he's in his suit. Ultimately, their policy (such as it is) is inconsistently applied and unconvincing in its reasoning.

I always saw Squirrel Girl as being kinda chubby and plain, but fun.  But that probably wouldn't play well on screen or something.

Liaden I was relying on your discernment between "Cosplay at a convention" and "little kids at home."  You know, wearing pajamas and playing you're superman? Maybe you never did that stuff as a kid. 

Liaden I was relying on your discernment between "Cosplay at a convention" and "little kids at home."  You know, wearing pajamas and playing you're superman? Maybe you never did that stuff as a kid. 

Fair enough; but you also brought up kids dressing up for Halloween, and those outfits I posted are advertised as Halloween costumes.

Infinity War Details Will Be Revealed At D23

http://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-details-revealed-d23/

In consecutive weeks, Marvel Studios will have a major presence at D23 and San Diego Comic-Con. While the latter has been their home for big announcements before, Disney is going toe-to-toe with SDCC by putting their own convention just a week prior.

Marvel’s SDCC 2017 Panel Will Be 90 Minutes Long

http://screenrant.com/marvel-studios-sdcc-2017-panel-length/

D23 2017 Official Film Slate Spotlights Marvel, Pixar & Lucasfilm

http://screenrant.com/d23-2017-schedule-lucasfilm-marvel/

With Squirrel Girl, I don't really expect Marvel to go with her first appearance, obviously she was supposed to be this goofy loser

squirrel-girl.jpg

But she's usually shown to be pretty plain and sometimes even chunky

squirrelgirl2ndappearance.jpg
the_unbeatable_squirrel_girl_by_d_mac-d8

Like a regular girl with quirky powers.  Mila is too cute to me, but its okay for a movie I guess because sometimes she's been portrayed as pretty cute and I bet they make her kinda dorky in the movie.

From this article:

Her greatest quality is her optimism and her best friend is a pet squirrel, Tippy Toe.

What happened to Monkey Joe? Did they not want to explain why a squirrel was named Monkey or something? Monkey Joe seems to be a much funnier name for a squirrel, and it's a comedy. Was there a Tippy Toe in the comics, too? I don't know much about SG, and only know the one squirrel sidekick.

Edit: Just watched the cartoon at the bottom of that page. Looks like Tippy Toes is part of her entourage there at least.

But she's usually shown to be pretty plain and sometimes even chunky

Yeah, well, Wolverine isn't supposed to be a 6'2", handsome, slender hunk, but Hollywood will almost always sacrifice fidelity to the comics in favor of casting attractive actors people will pay to see.

In the case of Squirrel Girl, you can bet that she won't have much in the way of her comics costume to speak of either. She may wear some minor fashion accessory with a bit of brown fur on it, but that's probably going to be the extent of it (just like Scarlet Witch's only concession to the comics was that her jacket was red-ish).

From this article:

What happened to Monkey Joe? Did they not want to explain why a squirrel was named Monkey or something? Monkey Joe seems to be a much funnier name for a squirrel, and it's a comedy. Was there a Tippy Toe in the comics, too? I don't know much about SG, and only know the one squirrel sidekick.

Edit: Just watched the cartoon at the bottom of that page. Looks like Tippy Toes is part of her entourage there at least.

Monkey Joe was brutally murdered by a rejected Great Lakes Avenger (Leather Boy?).

Tippy Toe is a legacy hero.