Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thor Ragnarok Q&A: If anyone has questions I'll try to answer them in a non spoiler-y way.

Okay, I'll bite: A frequent complaint about Thor's movie appearances is that he hasn't really demonstrated the magnitude of power of the God of Thunder, at least not since his debut film. How does he come across in this movie?

Okay, I'll bite: A frequent complaint about Thor's movie appearances is that he hasn't really demonstrated the magnitude of power of the God of Thunder, at least not since his debut film. How does he come across in this movie?

Mighty.

(Additional detail but still non-spoiler-y under the "spoiler" tag. )

He gets a chance to cut loose. It is glorious.

I guess my point was that there are simply too many variations on Thor's look, power set, and power level to go by. The "traditional" Thor of the 60s and 70s is deemed too outdated for today's movie audiences, and so bits and pieces from more contemporary incarnations of the character have been thrown into the character re-design stew to arrive at the MCU Thor. It's a practice almost guaranteed to please few comic fans (since each has their own favorite version of Thor they'd like to see on-screen), and mostly geared to appeal to a general public unfamiliar with the character.

I mean they pretty well abandoned most of THor's proper appearance (red hair, beard) for Marvel already, but historically Mjolnir is supposed to be have a short handle, awkward to use in a fight, but useful to throw,

Yes, as a result of it being sabotaged during it's construction if I recall the myth correctly.  By Loki, if memory serves.

Yeah, I'm disappointed that MCU Thor can't teleport (and bring huge objects with him), or that Mjolnir doesn't look like this:

1312801-1279825862.jpg

I call that the "Warcraft war hammer," the kind of completely impractical prop that video games have convinced a generation to believe could actually be used in a fight. ;)  In relation to modern Thor, that hammer is too long and bulky to do all the cool whirling tricks that Mjolnir has done in the comics. And it would have been practically impossible for a human actor to wield convincingly.

For most of the comic Thor's history, Mjolnir was drawn smaller than what Chris Hemsworth has carried in the movies. But it was still heftier than real-world historical war hammers. Hemsworth's hammer, were it made of steel, would take a strong man just to lift, let alone swing it as a weapon.

You are not the only one. That's what I grew up with. While all the "thous" and "wouldsts" got a little unwieldy at times, to me a generally-archaic speech pattern conveys a dignity and majesty, as well as other-worldliness, that I thought suited the classic incarnation of Thor.

I have to admit, this new movie has me feeling rather torn. On the one hand, this change in direction looks like a smart move on the part of Marvel. It's a style that audiences seem to respond to, based on past Marvel film successes. It definitely plays to Chris Hemsworth's natural comedic talents. Everyone involved seems to have brought their A-game. For folks wanting to make an entertaining quality film that will make money, I can't fault their decisions.

Only thing is, Thor was always my favorite comic-book superhero; but that was the noble, dignified, majestic warrior Thor, steeped in mythology through a Jack Kirby filter. Hemsworth's new casual, quippy character doesn't feel like Thor to me. It just rubs me the wrong way, on an instinctual level. I readily admit that's my subjective reaction, which doesn't reflect on the smartness of the decision or how well-made the movie is. But I can't help feeling trepidation over going to see it.

You are not the only one. That's what I grew up with. While all the "thous" and "wouldsts" got a little unwieldy at times, to me a generally-archaic speech pattern conveys a dignity and majesty, as well as other-worldliness, that I thought suited the classic incarnation of Thor.

I have to admit, this new movie has me feeling rather torn. On the one hand, this change in direction looks like a smart move on the part of Marvel. It's a style that audiences seem to respond to, based on past Marvel film successes. It definitely plays to Chris Hemsworth's natural comedic talents. Everyone involved seems to have brought their A-game. For folks wanting to make an entertaining quality film that will make money, I can't fault their decisions.

Only thing is, Thor was always my favorite comic-book superhero; but that was the noble, dignified, majestic warrior Thor, steeped in mythology through a Jack Kirby filter. Hemsworth's new casual, quippy character doesn't feel like Thor to me. It just rubs me the wrong way, on an instinctual level. I readily admit that's my subjective reaction, which doesn't reflect on the smartness of the decision or how well-made the movie is. But I can't help feeling trepidation over going to see it.

This was me too. However the director specifically wanted to bring Kirby's style & aesthetic and today watched a short interview where Tom Hiddleston name-checked Kirby in the design of the sets on Sakaar.

I think you will be overall happy with the film, like I am.

I want him to sound more like he comes from another world

Yo, Loki, Volstagg's having a barbie in the arvo, so will swing by the Thirsty Camel bottle-o; pick up a six-pack of four-x and crownies. Then hit servo and grab some chiko rolls & Golden Gaytime for afters.