Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess someone at Marvel decided that MCU Thor should act and sound more Norse than Shakespearean. It makes a certain amount of sense, though it would have helped for consistency's sake if Odin and Loki didn't always seem like they'd just stepped off the RST stage.

I thought they did a good job at finding ground between the full on fake Shakespearean and modern day speech: he sounds different and somewhat archaic or formal, but still loose and fun enough for modern audiences to enjoy.  But I agree, other characters besides Thor do sound a lot more formal and have much more ancient dialog patterns and wording.  Heimdall, Frigga, Sif, all of them except for the Volstagg basically.  I really like how Odin and Loki sound, especially but I love that rich a use of language.

It kind of works anyway, because Thor is a bit of a wild child, and he doesn't really fit in to Asgardian society well.

Jim Starlin comments on MCU's Thanos in Infinity War:

"“I want to tell all you Thanos fans out there, without giving anything away, you’re not going to be disappointed, far from it. I truly believe folks will be pleasantly shocked by how delightfully different these two movies will be from previous Marvel films.

Joe, Anthony, Chris, Stephen and the rest of the gang have my complete confidence in their ushering of our favorite Mad Titan out from the world of comics and into the Marvel cinematic universe. My first born leaves the nest to wreck havoc on the heavens. What more could a proud father hope for?”"

And Josh Brolin:

"“When they showed me a little six-minute teaser of a scene that I had done, I was so blown away by how next-level this digital process is and how real it feels. I don’t know how I could be anything but happy. If everybody hates me at the end of it, I don’t know, will it be worth it if it’s a great movie? Maybe.”"

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/thanos-fans-love-avengers-infinity-war-sequel/

Really? Has Marvel ever done a full roster count of the characters that Thanos wiped from existence? I would be surprised to find it is even close to 50% of the characters that actually existed in the 616 continuity. Unless it was just waved off with exposition, like, "And with a gesture, 99% of all superheroes in the entire universe were gone."

Jim Starlin comments on MCU's Thanos in Infinity War:

"“I want to tell all you Thanos fans out there, without giving anything away, you’re not going to be disappointed, far from it. I truly believe folks will be pleasantly shocked by how delightfully different these two movies will be from previous Marvel films.

Joe, Anthony, Chris, Stephen and the rest of the gang have my complete confidence in their ushering of our favorite Mad Titan out from the world of comics and into the Marvel cinematic universe. My first born leaves the nest to wreck havoc on the heavens. What more could a proud father hope for?”"

Yeah, well, Jim Starlin's support doesn't especially sway me. Thanos was obviously Starlin's pet Mary Sue. Especially in the latter stages of the character's history, Starlin wrote him as the perfect villain, without flaw or weakness. Even when he lost, he really won. Perfect villains are boring villains. Besides, I've never read superhero comics or watched superhero movies to root for the villain.

The Scourge.of the Underworld, created by Mark Gruenwald, who later confessed he regretted doing it if I recall

That's the guy.  I was thinking Scourge, but then I got it mixed up with Skurge from Thor, and had second thoughts.  I doubt myself more these days than I used to.

I thought it was a useful method of cleaning up some more ridiculous or useless old characters, personally.  It was a very interesting storyline across all comics, him showing up and gunning down a bad guy, then gone behind the scenes.