Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Weird when this thread falls of the first page.  Anyway, here's an excellent discussion of the MCU universe model (and how it is misapplied to other properties) on The Ringer.

Events in the MCU are made to embody the full weight of the world, impacting everything and everyone that comes after them. The stories of the MCU aren’t just sequential, they’re continuous: What happens in that room alters how you think about what happens in that hallway.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YouTube is rife with "reviews" of the Infinity War trailer, and some of the reactions are of the, "Yeah, looks cool, but I'm not going crazy with anticipation for some reason." variety. In a way, I can totally understand that reaction, and I even think I know why people are feeling that way.

Part of the problem with releasing 2-3 MCU movies per year, along with a constant stream of set photos and teasers and other online nonsense, is that there is no time to build anticipation in the hearts and minds of moviegoers. If you hadn't just seen Spider-Man in a movie a few months ago, you might be far more excited to see him again in the Infinity War trailer. But there's been no down time to build a craving for these characters. They suffer from over-exposure, and that denudes the excitement factor for each successive appearance they make in a film.

62 million views in two days.   People wanna see this movie.  Of course, you're gonna get those comments...yet they still watched the trailer and wanted to say something.  Your second paragraph has merit, but is BY FAR in the minority in my opinion.   I love superheroes, I love these movies,  a few months in between superheroes is fine by me and apparently everyone else.

My online experience parallels Starlord's (a certain amount of irony there). ;)  The reviewers/reactors expressing excitement and anticipation for Infinity War appear to far outnumber those who are indifferent or negative.

As far as anticipation goes, the sentiment I've seen expressed most often is that many MCU fans have been looking forward to an event like this since the cameo by Thanos at the end of the first Avengers movie over five years ago. So it's had plenty of time to build.

Remember, it's not the prospect of seeing Spider-Man again that has people excited. It's seeing him interacting with practically everybody else.

Oh I think people are plenty interested but he's got a point; they'd have even more buzz and excitement if there was more time between projects.  But as is, its sufficient for the film's popularity.

But the Homer/Thanos was kind of an obvious parallel.  He doesn't look right.  He doesn't even look intimidating.  I mean compare:

file_196947_2_Avengers_Movie_Thanos.jpg

Thanos from end of Avengers

thanos-infinity-gauntlet-1061668.png

Thanos from trailer

You've got to admit, he's kind of lost something.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Oh I think people are plenty interested but he's got a point; they'd have even more buzz and excitement if there was more time between projects.  But as is, its sufficient for the film's popularity.

But the Homer/Thanos was kind of an obvious parallel.  He doesn't look right.  He doesn't even look intimidating.  I mean compare:

Thanos from trailer

Well...I'm not as much concerned so much by the look(seriously...it's just one shot without his armor), but I'm more concerned with the fact that they had all the time in the world to develop some backstory/motivation for Thanos and they never did. it. As it stands now, he's basically a smarter purple Hulk...and that's certainly not how I envision Thanos based on the comics(especially the earlier ones that are inspiring the film). Loki...Magneto....these villains had better back stories and thus felt more real to audiences. Do producers expect that everyone seeing this film is going to have extensive knowledge of this character's history? Now, they have to pack in his entire backstory into this film...which already has a lot to juggle. It will take some brilliant dialogue and exposition for me to transition Purple Hulk here to Thanos. That said...I thought it was overall a very good teaser trailer.

7 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Thanos from trailer

He lost his hair. 

And as he has two Infinity Stones, Big T doesn't need his armour anymore, well not as much. 

6 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Well...I'm not as much concerned so much by the look(seriously...it's just one shot without his armor), but I'm more concerned with the fact that they had all the time in the world to develop some backstory/motivation for Thanos and they never did. it. As it stands now, he's basically a smarter purple Hulk...and that's certainly not how I envision Thanos based on the comics(especially the earlier ones that are inspiring the film). Loki...Magneto....these villains had better back stories and thus felt more real to audiences. Do producers expect that everyone seeing this film is going to have extensive knowledge of this character's history? Now, they have to pack in his entire backstory into this film...which already has a lot to juggle. It will take some brilliant dialogue and exposition for me to transition Purple Hulk here to Thanos. That said...I thought it was overall a very good teaser trailer.

In Infinity War, Thanos is the protagonist to precisely give him the scenes & opportunity to develop him as a character. Infinity War is Thanos' origin story. 

Thanos is The Main Character of Avengers: Infinity War

https://screenrant.com/thanos-main-character-marvel-avengers-infinity-war/

With as many characters as are going to be in the movie and as much as it looks like is going on, I don't think there's going to be much time to develop Thanos as a character.  They decided to make the Infinity War into one film, which is going to challenge their ability to tell a story as is.  but I'm sure it will be fun in any case.  I'm just wishing they would put a really good, interesting bad guy in one of these films, I mean other than Loki.

The evolution of Thanos' look is the evolution from "vanilla CGI model" to "CGI model of Josh Brolin with a funny chin". I don't particularly agree with this approach since I want Thanos to be depicted as an entirely unique individual, like Gollum, not the CGI equivalent of Brolin in prosthetic make-up.

As for Thanos' character development, I have a feeling that a lot of folks are seeing the trailer and thinking that the movie is going to spend more time on the heroes than the movie actually will. I suspect that half the movie will be spent with Thanos, exploring his character and his motivations, and you will only see Our Heroes (in each of their disparate locations) just long enough to see them banter with each other for a minute before getting their asses kicked and the gems they possess taken from them. The other half of the movie will be spent in Wakanda setting up (and then showing) the big set-piece battle for the Soul stone.

I predict that by the end of the movie, Thanos will have all the gems placed into the gauntlet, and the cliffhanger will be the elimination of half the universe's life forms (or something equivalent), with audiences leaving the theaters wondering, "Holy crap, now what?"

There seems to be a lot of online speculation as to whether or not Thanos will fill out the gauntlet by the end of this movie, but when I put my writer's cap on it becomes obvious to me that he will. What can we deduce just from the trailer? Well, by the time Thanos appears in New York he already has the Power stone and the Space stone. The Space stone he obviously gets in the beginning of the movie when he attacks the Asgardian vessel and Loki gives him the Teseract, probably in exchange for sparing the lives of the remaining Asgardians (putting him in conflict with Thor's never-surrender ideology). The Power stone he gets from attacking the Nova Corps on Xandar, obviously, but it remains to be seen how much of the Corps remains intact after that. In NY we see Thanos' Black Order goons taking the Mind gem from Vision while Thanos himself goes after Dr. Strange's Time gem personally. That only leaves the Reality gem and the Soul gem. The trailer shows us bits and pieces of the battle in Wakanda for the Soul gem, which leaves open the question of how he gets the Reality gem from The Collector, though to be honest, I doubt that would be much of a challenge for Thanos, and I suspect the movie won't spend more than five minutes on that.

Yeah but his magic is basically martial arts.  The eye is what let him actually do amazing, powerful stuff, you know?  They haven't demonstrated magic as doing anything really impressive or flexible other than moving around to places and creating weapons.  Take away the Eye of Agamotto and what's left?

6 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah but his magic is basically martial arts.  The eye is what let him actually do amazing, powerful stuff, you know?  They haven't demonstrated magic as doing anything really impressive or flexible other than moving around to places and creating weapons.  Take away the Eye of Agamotto and what's left?

Well, matter creation, illusions (from Thor: Ragnarok), teleportation of self and others, force fields and short range energy blasts (Dr. Strange). Off the top of my head. The Eye only did the cosmic time whammy.

26 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

All that in Ragnarok is new to me, I only have seen Dr Strange.  Hence: martial arts and weapons.  It sounds like in the hands of another writer, they're actually having him do, you konw, magical stuff.

Oh, you should see Ragnarok.  Plays like a buddy cop action/comedy.