Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/2/2017 at 7:19 AM, zslane said:

The evolution of Thanos' look is the evolution from "vanilla CGI model" to "CGI model of Josh Brolin with a funny chin". I don't particularly agree with this approach since I want Thanos to be depicted as an entirely unique individual, like Gollum, not the CGI equivalent of Brolin in prosthetic make-up.

It's possible that that's a concession/favor to Brolin.  Not every actor is Hugo Weaving or Karl Urban, willing to leave the mask on all movie long.

Well yeah, because they are supposed to just look like people.  I mean this is like having V for Vendetta be a guy with a goatee, because that way he shows his face better.  Thanos is supposed to look like a huge barely human alien monster. 

Now Thanos just looks like Brolin with a chin prosthetic.

10 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Thanos is supposed to look like a huge barely human alien monster. 

Now Thanos just looks like Brolin with a chin prosthetic.

Exactly.

The whole reason to make Thanos an all-CGI character is so that he can look like this (not so he can look like an actor we know):

thanos.png

Hulk looks like Ruffalo for the same reason almost-Gollum looks like Andy Serkis...the CGI character was morphed into from the human/hobbit portrayed by an actor. Thanos has no such associated "normal person" upon which to logically base his appearance.

Caesar doesn't look like Serkis to me. To my mind, seeing Serkis in Caesar is like seeing Jesus in a potato.

First of all, Thanos essential looks like a purple, mottled human, not a monster...let's stop acting like he's Cthulhu or a giant lobster.  The obvious point is MOST vaguely humanoid characters played by actors generally look like the actors, whether in makeup, masks, prosthetics, CGI or all these in different combinations.  Worf looks like Michael Dorn, Joker looks like Ledger, Nicholson, or Leto, etc...its the strength of performance that ultimately lets you enjoy the role as your watching.  Furthermore, I also KNOW an actor's playing a certain role simply because of his voice - when Hugo Weaving is full-on Red Skull, I say in my mind, "Yep, that's Hugo", then go back to enjoying his great performance.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

I wonder if Thanos getting the Power Gem from the Nova's won't end up resulting in the "creation" of Nova the hero we know. In the Annihilation mega series years back, a big part of that was that the Corps was wiped out and Richard Rider basically absorbed the whole Nova force, which put him on a level with the heavy hitters of the universe (Gladiator, Surfer, Adam Warlock etc.). Would be very cool if that was the case.

21 minutes ago, Starlord said:

The obvious point is MOST vaguely humanoid characters played by actors generally look like the actors, whether in makeup, masks, prosthetics, CGI or all these in different combinations.

That's primarily because even when it would have benefited a production to have an all-CGI character instead of an actor in prosthetics, it was either cost-prohibitive or simply impossible at the time. I think we all agree that MCU Hulk is much more like what we expect the Hulk to look like than the Lou Ferrigno Hulk. By the same token, I would have preferred to see an all-CGI Thing instead of Michael Chiklis in a rubber suit. In the same vein, Thanos should neither be an actor covered in prosthetics, nor an all-CGI model sculpted to look like a well-known actor. There's just no reason to do that apart from SAG contract clauses and/or outdated beliefs about what audiences will "connect with".

Joe Russo: ""[Thanos] has a more casual approach in this film, and it's very philosophical for him," explained Russo at San Diego Comic-Con. "It's part of his character definition. It's a spiritual journey for him to collect the Stones, and one with which he doesn't need armor. Once he starts acquiring the Stones, he doesn't need armor in the same way he did when he was a war lord. It's a very symbolic costume.""

source: http://m.au.ign.com/articles/2017/07/23/avengers-infinity-war-director-explains-thanos-more-casual-spiritual-costume

On 02/12/2017 at 1:37 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Oh I think people are plenty interested but he's got a point; they'd have even more buzz and excitement if there was more time between projects.  But as is, its sufficient for the film's popularity.

But the Homer/Thanos was kind of an obvious parallel.  He doesn't look right.  He doesn't even look intimidating.  I mean compare:

file_196947_2_Avengers_Movie_Thanos.jpg

Thanos from end of Avengers

thanos-infinity-gauntlet-1061668.png

Thanos from trailer

You've got to admit, he's kind of lost something.

The first screen grab from the Avengers is a different actor before Brolin was cast. 

The bottom one is Thanos on casual Friday. 

3 hours ago, zslane said:

By the same token, I would have preferred to see an all-CGI Thing instead of Michael Chiklis in a rubber suit.

Actually, that was Chiklis's choice and demand. He wanted to play the Thing. I didn't think he looked bad and was glad to have an actor play a part that really wanted to and knew the character very well.

12 hours ago, slikmar said:

Actually, that was Chiklis's choice and demand. He wanted to play the Thing. I didn't think he looked bad and was glad to have an actor play a part that really wanted to and knew the character very well.

Performance capture hadn't progressed to the point it has now. You couldn't convey the same subtleties of performance with CGI as with physical makeup. I'm sure Chiklis would feel differently today if he had the same opportunity.

16 hours ago, slikmar said:

Oh, I'm sure he did make that demand, but as a viewer I don't feel the results of his demand paid off. If a FF movie were to be done today, I'd rather see the Thing be all CGI, like the Hulk, actor demands be damned.