Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Just as Westerns were popular from 1939 to early 70s it occurs to me that for intents and purposes Superhero/Comic book films have taken the place of Westerns. As Westerns had popularity for decades, for all we know the superhero "bubble" (as Michael Hopcroft put it) is not a bubble but a genre that is here to stay (like the Westerns in those decades if popularity). If this observation is correct then we should find A-grade and at least B-grade superhero films being released, since the release of X-Men, that is the case.

So I see no reason to be concerned about the near future viability of the superhero/comic book film genre. Looking at the popularity of the Western genre gives me an historical model to work from.

So in summary, the Superhero film is to today's audience as the Western was during the audience of the 40s, 50s, & 60s.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in on preferring Captain America: Serpent Society to Captain America: Civil War. Seriously, they've done the one thing that might have me skip a Captain America movie after TWO that I enjoyed a LOT. Of course, they might salvage it and if I hear enough good things about it, I may watch it the second week it is out, but they'll have to change the storyline A LOT  and do something the series never did: Honor Characterization.

Doctor Strange is one I scream "YES" at. Seriously, he may have my favorite origin out of all mystic superheroes. Arrogance, Loss, selfishness and bam... enlightenment and  then redemption. Arguably it's kind of the magic side to Tony Stark's similar path, but I like Strange a LOT.

GotG2- Having seen the first and loved it, no way I will miss the second.

I almost feel sorry for Black Panther and Captain Marvel. You just know that with a black hero on one, and a female lead on the other, SOME segment of the fan base is going to be offended because this or that wasn't PC enough, or was TOO PC, or what have you. Still, nice to them get their shot.

Inhumans could be great fun. It just screams "We want our mutants back but can't use them so here!" but I always loved Black Bolt and company. GotG proved Marvel could get away with cosmic, so I'm thinking Marvel may not shy away as much as they might have in the past from the 'We live on the moon' angle. There really are a lot of directions they could go with this one.

I like Thor, and am one of the few who liked #2 better than #1, but while I will see #3, it's not one I'm champing at the bit to get to.

Count me in on preferring Captain America: Serpent Society to Captain America: Civil War. Seriously, they've done the one thing that might have me skip a Captain America movie after TWO that I enjoyed a LOT. Of course, they might salvage it and if I hear enough good things about it, I may watch it the second week it is out, but they'll have to change the storyline A LOT  and do something the series never did: Honor Characterization.

Doctor Strange is one I scream "YES" at. Seriously, he may have my favorite origin out of all mystic superheroes. Arrogance, Loss, selfishness and bam... enlightenment and  then redemption. Arguably it's kind of the magic side to Tony Stark's similar path, but I like Strange a LOT.

GotG2- Having seen the first and loved it, no way I will miss the second.

I almost feel sorry for Black Panther and Captain Marvel. You just know that with a black hero on one, and a female lead on the other, SOME segment of the fan base is going to be offended because this or that wasn't PC enough, or was TOO PC, or what have you. Still, nice to them get their shot.

Inhumans could be great fun. It just screams "We want our mutants back but can't use them so here!" but I always loved Black Bolt and company. GotG proved Marvel could get away with cosmic, so I'm thinking Marvel may not shy away as much as they might have in the past from the 'We live on the moon' angle. There really are a lot of directions they could go with this one.

I like Thor, and am one of the few who liked #2 better than #1, but while I will see #3, it's not one I'm champing at the bit to get to.

No thoughts about the Avengers Infinity War two-parter? 

I could see Civil War working if it went something like this (and I didn't really like the comic storyline)...

Avengers 2 seems to imply some stuff with Tony 'This is the end of the road I started us down" (or whatever the quote is). So Tony sees rampant destruction from Ultron, and Hulk (hence the Hulkbuster armor). So he goes too far, which is in keeping with Tony, and heads into the idea of superhuman registration, at which point Steve is "No, I fought that war once, back in the 40s). And they have a lot of heat between them, and the "war" is fallout of that - nothing Earth and World Shaking - not even it hitting the actual US Gov (or not all of it).

It would keep the core "emotional" center of Civil but be something that could be tolerable in the MCU.

I could see Civil War working if it went something like this (and I didn't really like the comic storyline)...

Avengers 2 seems to imply some stuff with Tony 'This is the end of the road I started us down" (or whatever the quote is). So Tony sees rampant destruction from Ultron, and Hulk (hence the Hulkbuster armor). So he goes too far, which is in keeping with Tony, and heads into the idea of superhuman registration, at which point Steve is "No, I fought that war once, back in the 40s). And they have a lot of heat between them, and the "war" is fallout of that - nothing Earth and World Shaking - not even it hitting the actual US Gov (or not all of it).

It would keep the core "emotional" center of Civil but be something that could be tolerable in the MCU.

This being a Captain America movie and not an Avengers movie, I can't see Iron Man being the driving force, and therefore having roughly equal screen time and equal billing.  If that were the case, I'd think they'd have it as Captain America / Iron Man:  Civil War.

I could, however, see the fallout from Ultron and Hulk giving impetus to Hydra elements working covertly in the US government to gleefully push for superhero registration and restrictions on heroes.  Stark and others might be part of this, duped by Hydra.  So, foes in a few side fights or the big battle, but not the main driving element against Cap.

I'm cautiously willing to wait and see what they come up with.  As Hermit said, if they honor characterization, it's possible to do it well. 

• 2 months later...

The trailer for Ant-Man will be shown on ABC accompanying the Agent Carter miniseries.

Unless comedy is your aim I still don't see the point of making an Ant-Man movie. What kind of script do you need to have to get people interested in a guy who shrinks to insect siz and rides a flying ant. What will he be fighting -- tarantulas?

Of course, I was also a bit of a nay-sayer on Guardians of the Galaxy and that turned out fantastic, so you never know with Marvel movies.

One major problem with this storyline here is that you don't have a Spiderman, where revealing his identity and then wishing he hadn't, was a major crux of the whole thing.

Tony Stark violated Peter Parker. Iron-Man is unlikeable. I would pay to see Ghost-Rider pound Tony to death for two hours in a movie directed by Sam Raimi.