Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

7 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Well, it harmed Gunn.

But I can understand that as a brash, younger man how he'd make some jokes in bad taste for attention. I mean, he was only in his 40's, he hardly knew better . . .

I'm willing to bet that Disney knew every bit of what they were getting with him as ABC did when they put Roseann back on the air. Both companies hired someone to make money from them then threw them under the bus when it looked like they might lose money on them. That's kind of scummy behavior, though not unexpected from Disney.

As far as Gunn goes, if he's truly recalcitrant, a better person now, etc. . . . then sure, give him a second chance. No third chances, though. If he hasn't learned the lesson he'd apparently been missing out on in his 40's, then he'll never learn.

I agree with that last bit.  I'm all for second chances, but that's it.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Personally I suspect news about him being arrested will come out in coming months.  Its one thing to make shocking, awful jokes but to go back to the same despicable, horrendous well over and over in a way that's not remotely funny.

I've heard (and this is just hearsay, not anything I can source) that a lot of his peers growing up in St. Louis were victims of one of those molesty priest scandals, which might explain his focus on molestation in gallows humor as a learned coping mechanism. Though again, by one's forties one should be able to read the room and realize how inappropriate the vast majority of people are going to find such jokes.

15 hours ago, Armory said:

I'd bet money Gunn will be re-hired.

I'll take that bet. What would you care to wager?

I (and other industry insiders) understand Disney and how it operates. I am also, as Black Widow would put it, reading the terrain, and my analysis says Gunn is done at Disney.

Frankly, while I think he should be rehired, I doubt he will be by Disney. For reasons mentioned, and also because someone (or someones) among the Disney Execs now have their egos on the line in this. If Gunn is rehired by Disney, it will make them look bad or so they might see it as, so they're going to fight tooth and nail to keep him from getting a second chance for several years at the least.

Now, will anyone else hire him? I think if WB/DCEU is smart they'll at least consider it. 

9 hours ago, zslane said:

I'll take that bet. What would you care to wager?

I (and other industry insiders) understand Disney and how it operates. I am also, as Black Widow would put it, reading the terrain, and my analysis says Gunn is done at Disney.

I think the outpouring of support from pretty much everybody will have an affect on Disney's knee-jerk decision.  Just one example of such a reversal is Chris Hardwick's reinstatement by AMC.  But of course, I'm not an industry insider...

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Whatever Gunn's failures and inner demons, the man knows how to make an entertaining movie.  Personally I'd rather not know the secrets and life of people who make my entertainment, its almost universally disappointing at best.

I was probably Kevin Spacey's #1 fan until recently.  Loved everything he did.

Now I can't bring myself to watch anything he's ever done.

1 hour ago, Greywind said:

I think it was Huey Lewis that said that.

He's my hero!

Seriously... I now feel guilty when I listen to the Smiths, having only recently realized what a flaming racist malcontent Morrissey is. I was on Season 2 of House of Cards, and now I'll never find out what happens. Kill Bill 1 & 2 are movies I love, but will never watch again.

A small price to pay, but disappointing, none the less.

The only problem with that is the average audience member doesn't pay attention to the name of the director. They only see "Guardians of the Galaxy" in the title and the Marvel banner and they buy a ticket. In fact, I would argue that a considerable percentage of those who would recognize Gunn's name would stay away from the third installment if he were to direct it because they only know him as "that disgusting guy who joked about pedophilia". Having someone else in the director's chair would avoid that problem.

3 hours ago, dmjalund said:

If the hip-pocket is the only way to convince Disney then I think people should not watch a GOTG3 not directed by James Gunn 

Ultimately, this is on Gunn, IMO. He wanted to be provocative with his "jokes"? Then he can live with the consequences. Also, he had more free reign with GOTG2 and it was nowhere near the quality of the first, so there's a chance a GOTG without him could be better.

I do think it's to James Gunn's credit that he has not only publicly acknowledged and apologized for his remarks, long before this scandal broke; but has also stated he understands Disney's decision and doesn't blame them for making it. Gunn has made no effort to challenge the studio, and has not publicly commented on the movement to have him reinstated. Granted, he hasn't tried to dissuade that movement either, but still.

27 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Ultimately, this is on Gunn, IMO. He wanted to be provocative with his "jokes"? Then he can live with the consequences. Also, he had more free reign with GOTG2 and it was nowhere near the quality of the first, so there's a chance a GOTG without him could be better.

This is the vicinity I come down in on the issue. James Gunn should not escape suffering consequences for his reprehensible actions; but eventually, after a period of atonement, his efforts to improve himself should be acknowledged, he should be forgiven and allowed to resume his work.

Yeah. I'm also fine with him doing GOTG3. Unless we learn something more disturbing about him, anyway. I turn the radio dial when I hear a Michael Jackson song now, and try not to reference the many Bill Cosby stand up tapes I played endlessly when I was a kid, etc., but Gunn's not quite there yet. 

Note: I may sound a bit racist by my example choices, but they were only the first to come to mind due to their stature in their respective fields, and I was a HUGE Cosby fan my entire life.

18 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

... but Gunn's not quite there yet. 

I understand how you feel. However, Disney can't afford to proceed with GotG3 as if $1B worth of ticket sales (to say nothing of the merchandising revenue) wouldn't be significantly impacted by those who would feel otherwise. Moreover, Disney's reputation in general is on the line, and hiring Gunn back could produce such a firestorm of ugly PR that it drags down Disney's efforts across the board into a quagmire of unwanted social debate. The potential hit to revenue (and stock price) is far, far greater than the potential fallout of a bunch of actors trying to engage Disney in a game of chicken using a very public ragequit play.

Honestly, I like the character, but the version in the MCU imhas the current look with personality of the previous (Infinity Watch era) version. The current look version is much more smarter. 

(I read the mini series where the MCU Drax debuted and liked the change).