Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/4/2019 at 10:32 AM, Bazza said:

Me too. Season 2 was excellent...a runaway hit. 

:slap:

But seriously, bad puns aside, that is one of the problems with streaming services.  They keep there viewing numbers to themselves, and it is hard to tell if something is a hit or a flop.  I haven't heard much buzz around season 2, and that may just indicate that people just haven't tuned in to see it.  If they don't tune in, they aren't going to find out that this season is better.

If Runaways does get renewed for a third season, that will probably stream on Disney's own streaming service.  Fortunately since Disney owns a 30% stake in Hulu they can probably arrange the transfer over of seasons 1 and 2 fairly smoothly.

11 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

:slap:

But seriously, bad puns aside, that is one of the problems with streaming services.  They keep there viewing numbers to themselves, and it is hard to tell if something is a hit or a flop.  I haven't heard much buzz around season 2, and that may just indicate that people just haven't tuned in to see it.  If they don't tune in, they aren't going to find out that this season is better.

If Runaways does get renewed for a third season, that will probably stream on Disney's own streaming service.  Fortunately since Disney owns a 30% stake in Hulu they can probably arrange the transfer over of seasons 1 and 2 fairly smoothly.

There's really no need to move the show. Disney will own a 60% stake in Hulu post-merger*, and they've already stated that they will be pushing Hulu into more international markets as well as using it as a platform for releasing more adult content that they don't want on Disney+. 

*There are rumors floating around that Disney might be interested in acquiring the other 40% as well.

13 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Hmm.

So Marvel Phase 3 is about to close with the Ultimate RetCon in Infinity War Deux.

I wonder if Captain Marvel means Phase 4 may be one of their most massive storylines...the Kree/Skrull Wars.  Y'all are way more wired into this than I am...thoughts?  Rumors?

Thoughts I can do.

I am not as up on the movies as some, but comics wise, for decades now, Marvel Comics has been seeking their "Wonder Woman" equal. There have been high hopes for She-Hulk at one time, Storm at another, etc... and a LARGE push more than once for Carol Danvers aka many names and now Captain Marvel.

Of course, the comics have come close to doing it, then shot themselves in the foot (Civil War 2 had Carol lose a lot of cred with some folks for example).. still don't have a lady up there quite with Wonder Woman in the collective consciousness. 

The movies? Black Widow is good, popular, but naah, folks still don't rank her up there with Wondy.

But with Captain Marvel, the upcoming movie is their big shot to finally make it happen. So I think they want it to matter. They want to make sure you NEED to see this. And they want it , of course, to succeed (Who can blame them?) to skyrocket their 'new ' (to the big screen) character to be Marvel's Wonder Woman.

Just my opinion on it though ,maybe Wonder Woman envy ISN'T in play ;)

Could well be.  I like the Kree/Skrull War as a backdrop.  Works with Avengers, Shield, FF if they wanna do more there, Silver Surfer if they wanna do him (mentioned in an article on the Captain Marvel).  I like having strong female chars;  there aren't many.  Combine this with a good story backdrop?  Cool.

Phoenix looked like she was going to be Marvel's A-List superheroine when she was first "reborn" back in the Seventies --- one of the more dramatic of heroic origins, a character with history and depth, and playing with the heaviest of the heavyweights. But subsequent uses of the character diluted her impact. To be honest, the trailers for the Captain Marvel movie look like they're trying to make her something of a Phoenix analogue, on several levels.

Captain Marvel is only similar to Wonder Woman in that it is another cinematic universe's first female solo superhero movie (franchise). But that's about as far as the connections between the two go, I feel. Does Marvel hope that Captain Marvel will be as successful and well-regarded as Wonder Woman? Of course they do, but I think hubris--perhaps well earned at this point--is making Feige and Co. a bit too comfortable in the belief that it will be just as big a deal as Wonder Woman was. Based on all the footage I've seen so far, I'm not as convinced as they are. But I am hopeful just the same because I like the character and I want to see her succeed.

Captain Marvel, I suspect, has an uphill struggle in that it's a less-well-known character without even an appearance in another MCU film.  Ant-Man was easy for people to understand as "an MCU character that's funny".  Black Panther was easy to understand as "that hyped black superhero who also appeared in Civil War".  Captain Marvel has no prior callouts except for Nick Fury's pager, and so far doesn't have the hype that BP had leading up to the opening.

Then again, Dr. Strange also was a cold-open character film of this type, and that turned out well enough.  Perhaps my anxieties are unfounded.

Most of the MCU heroes--many of whom were as relatively obscure as Captain Marvel--had no introduction to audiences prior to their own films. Black Panther is a rare exception, really. Feige seems to have no fear when it comes to greenlighting films based on "previously unknown" properties.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

Then again, Dr. Strange also was a cold-open character film of this type, and that turned out well enough.  Perhaps my anxieties are unfounded.

After Dr. Strange's major role in Infinity War, the character is now widely known. I expect his sequel solo film to far exceed the box-office of the first.

On that front, Chris Hemsworth has mentioned he'd be up for another Thor movie, now that the character has been revitalized. His back-to-back successes in IW and Ragnarok should give such a movie an excellent shot at joining the billion-dollar box-office club.

You know, we often talk about "untried, untested" concepts being introduced by Marvel Studios... but that's really not accurate. Marvel Studios have introduced almost no wholly new, original concepts or characters. Nearly everything they've done has been based on decades of comic history, on established characters with rich backgrounds, contributed to by a host of creative talents. The wider movie-going public may not have been aware of them, but they were all tried and tested before they ever made it to the screen. And the people making these movies were fans of the comics first, who know and respect the characters and their stories. Even if they change some of their details for translation to another medium, they clearly strive to remain true to the spirit of the originals that made them popular as comics.