Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/9/2019 at 5:24 PM, zslane said:

Actually, not completely true. At best that is an oversimplification.

American studios, and Disney especially, still regard the American audience/box office as the single most important, even if it doesn't represent the largest source of revenue. It may not make much sense--just like the inexplicable influence of RT scores on studio decision making--but that's the way it is (at the moment).

I would have to agree about the bizarre influence of RT, but also more importantly Metacritic,  Much as it has kind of warped the Video Game Industry, it's also having something of an influence on films as well. I believe the influence is outsized, as is RT.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

I predict Black Panther will win one Academy Award, and it won't be for Best Picture. But, hey, it's an honor just to be nominated, right? Especially if you are a superhero movie.

I would think that it would pick up best costume design and best production design.

The production design was quite good -- that's usually the best part of most every movie made these days, even if the story or acting sucks.  Even the dreadful Noah looked great.  I kind of question their polyglot conglomeration of just random "black culture" design stuff rather than giving the nation its particular cultural and ethnic feel, but people liked it.  You'd think a country so isolated and insular would have its own very specific style and design not just "whatever from everywhere,"

I assume that was because it was a nation made up of half a dozen distinct tribes.

Well that could be part of it, but I mean they had Caribbean influences and Afro-American influences, and Egyptian influences, etc.  I would have liked the design better if they'd been a bit less grab bag and more creative.

6 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well that could be part of it, but I mean they had Caribbean influences and Afro-American influences, and Egyptian influences, etc.  I would have liked the design better if they'd been a bit less grab bag and more creative.

The in-universe explanation is that Wakanda despite there outward display of isolationism has quietly been culturally influential in Africa for centuries due to being Africa's most affluent and stable nation.  So, these aren't Caribbean, Afro-American and Egyptian influences that have made there way to Wakanda, this are Wakandan influences that have spread to the Caribbean, Egypt and even America.

The out-of-universe explanation is that the movie makers were pursuing a Pan African/Afrofuturism vision and settling on one country or region of Africa to draw their influences from would have been picking a favorite and as such at odds with that vision. 

The out-of-universe explanation is that the movie makers were pursuing a Pan African/Afrofuturism vision and settling on one country or region of Africa to draw their influences from would have been picking a favorite and as such at odds with that vision. 

And it would have been too challenging to come up with something completely unique -- or at least, not worth their time and effort.  Plus I think it was an appeal to American viewers, many of whom think of "Africa" as a country with a single culture rather than thousands of cultures and dozens of nations.