Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/2/2019 at 1:55 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Saw Ant Man & the Wasp finally.  It was okay, entertaining but light weight.  Not a lot of dramatic tension in the movie being about trying to get someone's mom out of somewhere inexplicable that you've never seen and have no emotional connection with.  The truth serum scenes were funny, wish they'd have had Wasp spend more time blasting and flying and less leaping around martial artsing.  She was basically Ant-Man, without ants (meh) and with flight and blast, but a better martial artist.  It was like having Rambo be a sidekick in a movie about Rambo.  Rambo AND Superman!  You sit over there, John.  Don't even wear the costume.  Someone else can wear it a while, though.

Particularly annoying was the inexplicable use of fake CGI young faces on Fishburne and Douglas.  We know what they looked like as younger men, we've seen them in dozens of films.  Why on earth didn't they model the young faces on, you know, younger versions of these actual men???

We watched A-M & W for the second time this weekend (now on Netflix) and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. The fact that it is light-weight... it is a personal story, nothing about the world ending, and not even a real bad guy... I rather liked it. If you are going to have a "universe" of super-wacky adventures, some of them need to be small, only relevant to the people involved, adventures that are just entertaining to watch. IMO, the best Marvel movies have been personal... Winter Soldier was Cap & Bucky at the core... Civil War was about the split in the team... Spider-man: Homecoming was Peter and Stark as well as the incredible personal motivations of Vulture... Black Panther was T'Challa touching on the personal POVs and experiences of that amazing supporting cast as the basis for his own maturity, A-M & W was family... 

Sure, there were big plot lines going on in some of them, but the power of those movies is in the personal motivations of the characters. Perhaps one of the reasons I hated Infinity War so much, it had none of that, except a bad attempt at making Moron Thanos somehow relate-able. 

2 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

We watched A-M & W for the second time this weekend (now on Netflix) and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. The fact that it is light-weight... it is a personal story, nothing about the world ending, and not even a real bad guy... I rather liked it. If you are going to have a "universe" of super-wacky adventures, some of them need to be small, only relevant to the people involved, adventures that are just entertaining to watch. IMO, the best Marvel movies have been personal... Winter Soldier was Cap & Bucky at the core... Civil War was about the split in the team... Spider-man: Homecoming was Peter and Stark as well as the incredible personal motivations of Vulture... Black Panther was T'Challa touching on the personal POVs and experiences of that amazing supporting cast as the basis for his own maturity, A-M & W was family... 

Sure, there were big plot lines going on in some of them, but the power of those movies is in the personal motivations of the characters. Perhaps one of the reasons I hated Infinity War so much, it had none of that, except a bad attempt at making Moron Thanos somehow relate-able. 

While I don't exactly hate Infinity War, I did think it was lacking. I have found myself far more enjoying the "smaller" shows.  For me the movies are trending to far too much "world saving" and far too little "awesome story".  Kinda like the superhero RPG's trying to make any adventures far too big and then wondering why they don't have the legs they should.  

A good solid story will always outdo a lot of glitz and glam.  

"If one hero and one villain was awesome, then a dozen heroes and a bizilian villains must be super awesome!"  Not.... 

It wasn't so much the small stakes that felt weak in AM&W, it was the lack of any sort of dramatic connection.  I didn't care if mom was saved or not.  She was not even in the movie until the last 10 minutes or so.  There wasn't anything to pull you into the story and care, big or little.  And they substituted the clever ideas in the first movie with shrinky stunts that defied physics and logic in this one.  It just wasn't as good a movie.  It felt like an anime cartoon, down to the silly ant drinking coffee on the couch watching TV.

20 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Too bad, but I guess this means I will probably never get to see Captain Marvel.  Since I don't really go to theaters anymore since they will not control the audiences and their general lack of any resemblance of manners or courtesy.  And the recent trend that everyone just has to have their own streaming service that requires a subscription has really cut down on my spending for entertainment.   So Captain Marvel will be exclusively on the Disney "I'm never going to see it" streaming service.  I might see if it is good enough for me to buy the Blu-Ray, but I don't know. 

A bluray Redbox movie is like $2.

Interestingly, I don't think I've run into someone disturbing my movie in about 20 years and I go to at least 2-3 a month.

That's about the time I started going to matinees exclusively, I think.  Also, the last year or so we tend to go to over 21 theater.

9 hours ago, Starlord said:

A bluray Redbox movie is like $2.

Interestingly, I don't think I've run into someone disturbing my movie in about 20 years and I go to at least 2-3 a month.

That's about the time I started going to matinees exclusively, I think.  Also, the last year or so we tend to go to over 21 theater.

I agree... it has been since the early nineties since I had issues at the movies. We go to a locally owned chain, and all the seats are lounge style, and they serve me very, very good chicken tenders and quesadillas and it is a great experience. I find movie going WAY better than it used to be. (I'd stopped for a while, since watching at home was better, but now it is a party with friends!)

17 minutes ago, zslane said:

That is a thing? I need to find one of those in my town!

In Ohio, it's called Cinebistro.  Reserved seating where you can eat restaurant quality meals and have a bit of alcohol before the meal (thus the age requirement).  They stop serving a few mins before the movie starts.  It's about $5 extra per ticket (not incl. the extra price of the meal, though you aren't forced to eat/drink anything), but it's worth it for us.

41 minutes ago, Starlord said:

The wife is an obsessed GoT theorist.  :)

Your denial means nothing! We now know that you spend hours watching GoT speculation videos, your brain going gradually numb, along with your lower body. "Another one, I'll just watch one," Starlord mutters into his greasy, unkempt beard. "I can quit any time. Just not yet." 

"Please, Daddy," his eleven children, three adopted pets, two sentient laptop computers and live-in Nasa-evading space alien boarder say. Well, not "Daddy," in the cast of the ET. That would be weird. Anyway, "Please, Daddy, please stop watching GoT speculation videos and go in to work today. We're hungry and the dining room is on fire."

"The fire extinguisher is in the kitchen," Starlord says. "Now hush. The video is about to explain how the Jojen paste theory relates to the dragons-come-from-Asshai theory." 

. . . . 

Yep, I'm pretty sure that this is the only possible interpretation of that last post.