Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It was getting really interesting... then it got cancelled.

Wasn't so keen on Avengers Assemble. Although it did get better as it went along. The Squadron Supreme arc was pretty good.

Not sure what other animation they've done in recent years. The adventures of baby Iron Man one, some sort of horrible Spiderman thing, a Hulk thing, all aimed at the 5-10 market. Nothing wrong with that. Kids need their shows. But it means less cartoon for me. And as a middle-aged, hetero, white man I strongly feel that I have been marginalised by society and not given my fair share of the pie. (Irony there folks. Sooooooo much irony.)

On 2/13/2019 at 12:14 AM, Bazza said:

Everyone knows GRRM told the tv producers how ASOIAF ends, right? Game of Thrones (tv series) is working towards that same ending albeit with less overhead (number of characters). 

Now back to marvel. 

I don’t consider it in those terms. The show is the show and it’s developed a life of its own at this point. I am involved in the show, of course, and have been since the beginning, but my main focus has got to be the books. You have to remember that I started writing this story in 1991 and I first met David and Dan [showrunners Benioff and Weiss] in 2007. I was living with these characters and this world for 16 years before we even started working on the show. They’re pretty fixed in my mind and I’m not going to change anything because of the show, or reaction to the show, or what fans think. I’m just still writing the story that I set out to write in the early 1990s.

http://time.com/4791258/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-interview/

At some points, when David and Dan and I had discussions about what way we should go in, I would always favor sticking with the books, while they would favor making changes. […] That was probably the first major diversion of the show from the books and, you know, I argued against that, and David and Dan made that decision.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-George-R-R-Martin’s-role-in-HBOs-Game-of-Thrones-season-7

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

As a middle-aged anything you have aged out of the most popular target demographics--twentysomethings with disposable income, and pre-twentysomethings who will soon be twentysomethings with disposable income.  Pull up a rocking chair, we're yelling at kids on the lawn today.

Except the 20 somethings don't have disposable income any more. Too busy saving for the deposit on the house they will never afford ;)

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

As a middle-aged anything you have aged out of the most popular target demographics--twentysomethings with disposable income, and pre-twentysomethings who will soon be twentysomethings with disposable income.  Pull up a rocking chair, we're yelling at kids on the lawn today.

What the heck are you talking about?

All those pharmaceutical, insurance, retirement and low testosterone commercials are starting to call my name, baby! :rockon:

Well, and Captain Marvel has had a lot of different costumes over the years, its not like she's Spider-Man.  I wasn't super happy with their bizarre interpretations of Captain America's outfit but at least they put some effort into trying to keep it basically along the same theme (same with Spider-Man but he's slouching into Tim Burton Batman territory, every film it gets more complicated and fancy).

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

Feige and Larson made obvious call on Ms Marvel costume

Psylocke in Xmen Apocalypse was the clear example that some costumes just don't work onscreen.

I thought Psylocke's costume worked great onscreen, but the obvious fanservice doesn't set a great example.

I didn't have a problem with Psylocke's costume either. At least it was more comics accurate than most.

I liked Cap's costume in First Avenger because it was a great adaptation of the classic costume in the form of military fatigues, sorta like what we saw in the original Ultimates comics. I also liked Cap's Winter Soldier costume, which I think was the best version so far.

When it comes to Capt. Marvel, well, to be honest I never liked the black one-piece swimsuit costume from the comics. I just didn't like the design. I like the more current red/blue full-body suit that she has in the comics right now, and I think if they had picked someone with a better body/physique than Brie Larson, then going with a more spandex-y rendition would have looked pretty awesome. But, of course, this is the MCU, home of armor-plated spandex costumes, so we were never going to get a Spider-Man-like costume for Capt. Marvel regardless of who was cast in the role.