Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

And there it is. Casablanca and Citizen Kane are two of the most widely revered movies in film history; but Pattern Ghost doesn't like them and doesn't agree with that assessment. As he has the right to. What he would not have the right to, is to say that everyone who doesn't share his view is objectively wrong for doing so, and to denigrate their taste and intelligence because of that.

Likewise, I'm perfectly fine with all of those people being wrong. ;)

On 2/19/2019 at 8:19 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Sincve this is not the RL Politics thread i will avoid any outside discussion of brie's statements, and contract riders, but I fear that she will do what Sana Aminat has done to the comics.

Well, one can hope.  I follow writers and occasionally artist, but not editors.  Still, given her relatively short career in comic Sana Amanat has worked on a lot of very good books.  I have no idea whether this has been luck or good decisions on her part, but either way she has a good track record.

6 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

How about the 1982 movie Mazes and Monsters?

It was a typical made for TV movie of the time, adapted from a "hit" novel. The movie had the good fortune of starring a young Tom Hanks and being released during the rise of D&D and the related BADD hype. While much is made of "the game", what the movie really appears to show (without actually saying it) is a young adult's descent into schizophrenia, and the reactions of his friends as it develops. The movie's available for streaming free on Amazon Prime right now, for those who are curious.

It's based on the novel, Rona Jaffe's Mazes and Monsters, which very much reads as if it's a first draft. Jaffe was known more for her writing in Cosmopolitan, and a bunch of novels that normally receive generic covers in the Fiction section of a bookstore before being cleared out in the deep-discount racks. I've got the hardcover novel around here somewhere, and I believe that I found it at a thrift store for about a buck several years ago.

9 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Well, one can hope.  I follow writers and occasionally artist, but not editors.  Still, given her relatively short career in comic Sana Amanat has worked on a lot of very good books.  I have no idea whether this has been luck or good decisions on her part, but either way she has a good track record.

I would beg to disagree, but its off topic, and would become acrimonious. Dropping it.

16 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Just had a look at her editorial credits.  I've only read the Captain Marvel titles, but I enjoyed them. (Not the Civil War ones so much, I hate cross-over event crap.)

34 minutes ago, drunkonduty said:

Just had a look at her editorial credits.  I've only read the Captain Marvel titles, but I enjoyed them. (Not the Civil War ones so much, I hate cross-over event crap.)

Yeah, I just did the same and it is a list of some of my favorite titles over the last few years... Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, All-New Hawkeye, Carol Corps (the best Carol Danvers portrayal of the recent runs), etc.

3 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

How about Hawk the Slayer or Ator the Fighting Eagle?

We are talking about movies that are so bad we love em, right?

I have a sneaking fondness for The Sword and the Sorcerer. Not that good, but some cool visual moments, and that sword could have been designed by Q.