Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Blech, Dragonball is awful.

I was glad someone else mentioned how well super combat and power use is done in Marvel studio movies.  The Justice League movie was guilty of that stiff, 'pose-fighting' also.  Yuck.  Reminds of early Van Damme movies.

Exactly... I tried (really, I did) to watch Justice League, but I kept throwing the remote at the TV in disgust. After several thousand dollars of replacement TVs, I just couldn't try to watch they horrible "action figure posing" that keeps getting shown in DC movies. When will they realize that not only did every panel of a comic being a crotch-shot splash page turn out horrible comics... translating that to movies is even worse!

For me the quality of the Marvel movies are declining steadily. 

Constant universe shattering upmanship instead of actual interesting stories has moved them to the "wait for video" category.

I really liked the solo movies much better than the "everyone in the same pot" movies. 

Part of the problem with the Phoenix Saga in movies is that Fox has steered away from the Cosmic Entity inhabiting a mortal part of the mythos. As Zslane said, it's sad that we won't see the MCU get to deal with this, as they have introduced their cosmic side. Its why I can't wait to see them deal with the FF at some point hopefully. Not sure I am happy with them turning Ms. Marvel into Nova, meaning we wont get a Nova movie, but I give them the benefit of the doubt. A HUGE part of that saga when it originally ended was the fact the X-Men had to fight for her life though hopelessly outclassed, something Fox doesn't really have the stable to enact.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

No, I want to see it.  The X-Men films have been uneven but I'm partly just happy to have supers films at all.

Many franchises end in 2019, this is only one of them.

So I guess it is just us going to post in the "with spoilers" thread when the film is released. 

3 hours ago, Greywind said:

I haven't seen anything in the Capt. Marvel trailers that isn't Capt. Marvel.

Felt like they were promoting her as an interstellar cop, which is purely Nova. Maybe I am seeing it wrong. Also, the Nova I really followed is the one that happened during Annihilation Wave and after, so he was the cosmic level player they seem to be building her toward. But I also agree, power effects are truly Ms. Marvel/Binary.

For this movie, anyway, I don't think she is going to be a space cop but more like a Kree special forces operative. Starforce is more like a cosmic SEAL team than an interstellar police force like Novacorps. For one thing, she and Starforce only serve Kree interests, which does not necessarily involve keeping the interstellar peace. As for the role she will play in interstellar affairs by the end of the movie, that's anyone's guess. Cosmic superhero free agent? I doubt she'll be answering to anyone, much less a single interstellar authority (the way Nova would).

Yeah. Rotten Tomatoes, as of this, has it 86%... 

but the positive reviews lean towards the 'I guess it's all right it could have been better' angle as much as if not more the 'hey good movie' stuff

and the negative ones are  rather disappointed and say so.

Of course, I often disagree with critics so who knows.

I'll probably see it before I see Infinity War Part 2, if only so I'll know what to expect out of her when she makes her appearance.

I'm not really interested in the character, and nothing in the trailer has really grabbed me.  I don't particularly care about any controversy that Brie Larson has created.  I just don't like the character that much, and I'm not thrilled with the film coming out so close to IW#2.  The only thing I'm actually worried about is that Marvel might have her come in and pull a Superman on Thanos.  I don't want them to introduce this brand new hero, who we don't really know or care about, and then she's suddenly the star of the show.  We've spent 10 years getting to know the original Avengers cast, and I want to see them stop the bad guy.

It's not that she's a woman.  I'd feel the same way if they had a Sentry movie.  I'd be like "oh this is gonna suck".  Now I have a lot of faith in Marvel, but what (very little) I saw of Brie Larson's comments about the film, she was describing it as exactly what I don't want to see.  "I am woman, see me ruin franchise."  But I think one of the people who were in GOTG said similar things ("the Guardians could kick the Hulk's ass" somebody said), and that didn't turn out to be true.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I do think Marvel is trying to cash in on the success of Wonder Woman, and also trying to promote someone whose name is the same as the company.  That's not really a bad thing, companies exist to make money.  But I'm just not excited about it.  At all.

36 minutes ago, massey said:

I do think Marvel is trying to cash in on the success of Wonder Woman, and also trying to promote someone whose name is the same as the company.

For a long time there's been growing pressure mounting for Marvel to make a female-led MCU movie, and we know they always planned to do one at some point. The question was always where to fit it into the crowded slate given the long-term plan for the MCU. Until the roadmap for Infinity War became clarified, and the shift to a more "cosmic" MCU was solidified, it was difficult to find a spot for this movie (this is the same reason it's been so hard to get a Black Widow movie going). Sure, Wonder Woman beat Marvel to the punch here, but saying Captain Marvel is some kind of response to Wonder Woman ignores the fact that Captain Marvel was probably in development long before WW hit theaters and became a box office success.

And as for the fact that the character's name matches the name of the company, well I think that was just a serendipitous bonus, and not an essential factor in the choice.