Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/1/2019 at 7:36 PM, Greywind said:

I will see Dark Phoenix and New Mutants as soon as they see DVD release. I don't do theaters anymore.

If you live in a large enough metropolitan area, there are theaters that serve wine and have an alcohol license. As such they don’t allow people under (18 for California) so that means NO CHILDREN!!! ( Angelic Chorus !!). Second, it’s assigned seating, like a baseball game, so ordering advanced tickets allows you to choose your seat. Some movies are just better in a theater, like Infinity War was. One of the best movie going experiences I’ve had in years. 

2 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

If you live in a large enough metropolitan area, there are theaters that serve wine and have an alcohol license. As such they don’t allow people under (18 for California) so that means NO CHILDREN!!! ( Angelic Chorus !!). Second, it’s assigned seating, like a baseball game, so ordering advanced tickets allows you to choose your seat. Some movies are just better in a theater, like Infinity War was. One of the best movie going experiences I’ve had in years. 

A few years ago, we had a chain move into Las Vegas that offered assigned seating in big, cushy reclining seats, and had a liquor license to be able to serve beer and wine*. We'd often choose that theater over competitors, which didn't offer anything comparable, even though it had a premium of about $4-5 per ticket. I'd usually buy the tickets using an app on my cell phone in the morning for an evening showing after work, and all we'd need to to is present the bar code screen to the "ticket" taker inside the theater.

And then, somebody got stupid with the app's permissions during an update. They wanted everything--full control over the entire phone, and complete access to all of the data on it. The app got deleted immediately. We went to that theater twice more, and got leftover seats from the box office for one movie. We walked away from the box office on the second one, as the only seats left were scattered in different parts of the auditorium. We haven't been back.

*That doesn't mean adults only, however. The license in this jurisdiction is based upon being a restaurant, not a bar.

4 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

They don't serve the hearing impaired. 16 years of listening to the hum, grind, and clank of plastic injection molding machines has taken its toll.

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

And then, somebody got stupid with the app's permissions during an update. They wanted everything--full control over the entire phone, and complete access to all of the data on it. The app got deleted immediately. We went to that theater twice more, and got leftover seats from the box office for one movie. We walked away from the box office on the second one, as the only seats left were scattered in different parts of the auditorium. We haven't been back.

Yikes!  What App was this May I ask? or was it a theater chain specific app? I am in Vegas once a year in Thanksgiving. For the Arclight Theaters in Hollywood, and Sherman Oaks, I just walk up the the Kiosk, pick a date and time, and print my ticket out. I am leery of a lot of apps these days.

3 minutes ago, Greywind said:

They don't serve the hearing impaired. 16 years of listening to the hum, grind, and clank of plastic injection molding machines has taken its toll.

Some AMC Theaters used to pass out headphones to some hearing impared individuals, but I do not know if they still do, any more.

41 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Yikes!  What App was this May I ask? or was it a theater chain specific app? I am in Vegas once a year in Thanksgiving. For the Arclight Theaters in Hollywood, and Sherman Oaks, I just walk up the the Kiosk, pick a date and time, and print my ticket out. I am leery of a lot of apps these days.

It was theater chain-specific. Since most of the big blocks of seats tend to sell early for popular shows, it generally leaves individual seats scattered throughout the auditorium for those buying through the box office. It kind of defeats the purpose of going out with friends to see a movie if we can't sit near each other. We've generally used either Century or Regal for times when we go out as a group nowadays. 

I don't tend to go out to movies by myself anymore, as it's cheaper for me to buy a movie on Blu-ray/4K, and watch it at home. It's a better experience, too, as my chair's in the sweet spot for my 4K TV, and my surround will handle up to 7.1/Dolby Atmos.

The theater we go to now has reclining seats that are better than most recliners in furniture stores. And they let you see which seats are already sold and buy seats which aren't close to where anyone else is sitting.

We generally go to the first showing of the day on a weekday and rarely have to deal with kids, even during the summer.

One of the nice things about movie theaters is that they generally blare the sound loudly enough that I can hear what everyone is saying, even over the soundtrack and background noise.

32 minutes ago, archer said:

The theater we go to now has reclining seats that are better than most recliners in furniture stores. And they let you see which seats are already sold and buy seats which aren't close to where anyone else is sitting.

We generally go to the first showing of the day on a weekday and rarely have to deal with kids, even during the summer.

Yeah, this.

Our cinemas also have a restaurant theater (Cinebistro) off to the side that is 21 and over.  Massive recliners with only 8 people to a row.  The matinee cost for the Cinebistro is only $12 per person.

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

Develop a preference for foreign films with subtitles. 

I have, Korean Films. Decent acting, Good to excellent action, and they pay attention to pacing. The Period Dramas aren't stilted, and the  the production designs is very good. Basically, plot wise, their films predate the 2005 Screenwriting book Save the Cat by Blake Snyder. I have a nice Korean  owned theater (CGV Cinemas), where I watch the Marvel films, within walking distance. It's a three theater cineplex in a compact little strip mall. Digital projection and they have one 3D theater where It gives me the choice of an American Film, and Two Korean Films. So I sampled.  For those on Netflix, to get an idea of Korean Films, see "The Kingdom" . 

22 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

For those on Netflix, to get an idea of Korean Films, see "The Kingdom" . 

I find myself watching more Korean films and series than I ever thought I would.  Their shows are more about the plot and story than we see in our theaters or on the TV.  They are still there to entertain.  Our people seem to think they are there to preach their opinions. 

Just now, Spence said:

I find myself watching more Korean films and series than I ever thought I would.  Their shows are more about the plot and story than we see in our theaters or on the TV.  They are still there to entertain.  Our people seem to think they are there to preach their opinions. 

EXACTLY!!!!

Why do you think 20 something girls, and middle aged women watch K-Dramas?  Why does Manwha (Korean Manga),  sell so well? Because the Koreans love, and concentrate on their stories.

56 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

EXACTLY!!!!

Why do you think 20 something girls, and middle aged women watch K-Dramas?  Why does Manwha (Korean Manga),  sell so well? Because the Koreans love, and concentrate on their stories.

20 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Korean soaps are dangerous. More addictive than crack. 

Two series I really enjoyed were IRIS a espionage/spy thriller and Air City about day to day operations of an airport.  They tried to make a US version and it failed miserably.  Mostly due to the aforementioned reason US shows are swirling the drain these days.

31 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

To be honest, I'll be going into this flick with the mindset that it's a setup for Avengers: Endgame. I'll be satisfied if it gives me that while being entertaining. Anything more would be gravy.

My understanding is that it has no connection to or setup value for Avengers: Endgame at all, really. Not even in the post-credits scene.