Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

I was thinking if it was setup for anything, it'd be a Skrull storyline popping up in Phase 4. They're too big to introduce and not follow through on. Reviews are up on RT now: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

I just watched what seemed like a pretty balanced review on YouTube. Spoilered for language (Not exactly foul-mouthed but drops some descriptive profanity here and there.)

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, zslane said:

My understanding is that it has no connection to or setup value for Avengers: Endgame at all, really. Not even in the post-credits scene.

My understanding is the opposite. Maybe it depends on whose non-spoiler comments you listen to, and how you interpret them.

My revised list of MCU movies w/ Captain Marvel:

1.  The Winter Soldier

2.  The Avengers

3.  Iron Man

4.  Guardians of the Galaxy

5.  Avengers:  Infinity War

6. Spider-Man:  Homecoming

7.  Civil War

8.  Thor:  Ragnarok

9.  Doctor Strange

10. Thor

11. Captain America:  First Avenger

12. Ant-Man

13. Black Panther

14. Captain Marvel

15. Age of Ultron

16. Guardians of the Galaxy V2

17. Ant-Man and the Wasp

18. The Incredible Hulk

19. Iron Man 3

20. Thor:  The Dark World

21. Iron Man 2

Always a fun game...

1. The Winter Soldier

2. Civil War

3. Black Panther

4. Spider-Man:  Homecoming

5. Ant-Man and the Wasp

6. Captain America:  First Avenger 

7. Thor: Ragnarok

8. The Avengers

9. Iron Man 3

10. Iron Man 

11. Age of Ultron

12. Thor

13. Thor:  The Dark World

14. Guardians of the Galaxy

15. Doctor Strange

16. Ant-Man

17. Iron Man 2

18. The Incredible Hulk

19. Avengers:  Infinity War

20. Guardians of the Galaxy V2

21. Captain Marvel

I realize that many/most of the Marvel cosmic movies are at/near the bottom, because I despise how they've turned their cosmic storylines into brightly colored farce. Ragnarok only gets the high marks because it was truly funny without sacrificing drama. I really wanted Captain Marvel to turn this around and be the Winter Soldier of the cosmic movies, but instead we got pedantic weak sauce.  The top and bottom movies are pretty easy for me, but the middle are really me asking myself, "If I had to watch one of these two now, which would it be?" 

1 hour ago, Dr.Device said:

Wow, Kevin Smith has lost some weight.

He had a heart attack last year after having dropped his weight under 250 for the first time in years. The doctors told him that wasn't enough and he had to drop another 50 or else, which motivated him to get serious about losing the weight and keeping it off.

11 minutes ago, Greywind said:

Looks like Reed Richards helped design their outfits.

Or MCU Hank Pym's design, as they all look like expounded Ant-Man suits... which goes along with the implication that the Quantum Realm is the answer.  I am REALLY leery of the "The only choice is to start over" line. Are we getting a reboot? That undermines my entire interest in the MCU. They have been so good with actually "living with the implications" of what has happened before. There are consequences that resonate throughout the series. If they kill off half the universe, we need to see the MCU continue with half the universe gone, not just "oh that never happened." It undermines the credibility of everything they've ever done if they do that.

2 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

If they kill off half the universe, we need to see the MCU continue with half the universe gone, not just "oh that never happened." It undermines the credibility of everything they've ever done if they do that.

I wonder whether there is even one other person who left the theatre after IW expecting the MCU would continue with half the universe's population disintegrated, especially when one of those has a movie coming out shortly.  I'm pretty sure Spider-man is coming back.  I'm also trying to recall any comic book where an event this massive would not be undone in some manner.

I would rather not see a reboot, although I could see it as the excuse to re-cast major characters as current actors resign from the roles, or age beyond them, appealing to the producers.  That's the same reason we don't have Grandpa America Steve Rogers, and the FF in geriatric care, in the comics.