Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/16/2019 at 11:54 PM, Grailknight said:

It depends, in the movie it appears that the Gauntlet may have been destroyed by the snap, but in the comics it was working just fine afterwards. If it is still even partially functional,the Celestials will give Thanos a wide berth. Only us humans are pigheaded enough to tilt at that windmill.

Well, Thanos used it to escape from Thor, so it was at least somewhat functional. I think the Gauntlet was only able to channel the full power of all six Stones one time, before burning out.

My guess is that Marvel plans to string along comic book movies for the next 20+ years, releasing two or three a year, each with their own big crossover movies every so often.  Eventually they'll run out of characters and then they'll do a big reboot with all new actors.  Right now we don't want to see somebody other than Chris Evans playing Captain America.  But what about in 2040?

Spidey and the 2nd generation Avengers (Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Vision, Scarlet Witch, etc) will see them through the next 2 or 3 years.  We get the third Guardians movie, then they're about ready to reboot the FF and the X-Men.  They've got enough properties for everybody to get good and sick of superhero movies.  Then they'll give it about 5 years or so and try to reboot everything.

One possibility, which is comic- consistent, would be to remove Steve Cap and Tony Iron Man (as part of Endgame, say) and replace them with Bucky and Rhody taking on the mantles.  That keeps the names, provides a transition to those actors and buys a decade or more before we have to bring Steve and Tony back from the dead (or whatever combat incapacity is inflicted on them).

21 hours ago, Greywind said:

Stan is a year younger than Evans. Cheadle is a few months older than RDj. Not saving much by replacing there.

What they'd be saving is money. Evans and RDj require a heck of a lot more money per movie (RDj in particular) than a replacement actor would.

By the time RDj get his set pay plus his share of the profits for Infinity War plus Endgame, it is estimated that he'll get $200,000,000 from just those two movies.

In contrast, Cheadle got $1 million for his first appearance (Iron Man 2). It's estimated he got $3-5 million for Civil War but I've never seen a solid number on that.

I'd imagine the studio would think it'd save a lot of money by replacing RDJ. Now whether people will show up to the theater to see a replacement Iron Man might be a different calculation but it looks like the studio would have a lot of wiggle room coming from the cost difference between the two actors.

16 hours ago, Old Man said:

I assumed that the Cap mantle would pass on to Tony Mackie, since Sam Wilson has done time as Cap in the books.  Regardless, Evans' shoes will be hard to fill.

Another possibility, with more recent time as Cap in the comics. 

Having a new character, not just a new actor, means a different Cap/Iron Man, which may help in the transition - it's  not an actor trying to play Chris Evans/RDJ playing Steve Rogers/Tony stark, but an actor playing the same role he played in earlier films, who is trying to live up to the Captain America/Iron Man legacy.

I'm guessing that neither character will die, so both Iron Man and Cap will still be around during the post-Endgame MCU.  They'll probably bring them in for an occasional cameo appearance.  I know that part of Chris Evans' problem is that he has to work out like a psycho to get in shape to be Cap.  RDJ isn't in anywhere near that good of shape, so it's a lot easier for him to show up in a few scenes.  But you could probably have a shot of Evans walking down the street in normal clothes, with a jacket on, without him having to bulk up for the part.

The characters could still be "out there" somewhere, in case they later want to come back.

3 hours ago, archer said:

What they'd be saving is money. Evans and RDj require a heck of a lot more money per movie (RDj in particular) than a replacement actor would.

By the time RDj get his set pay plus his share of the profits for Infinity War plus Endgame, it is estimated that he'll get $200,000,000 from just those two movies.

In contrast, Cheadle got $1 million for his first appearance (Iron Man 2). It's estimated he got $3-5 million for Civil War but I've never seen a solid number on that.

I'd imagine the studio would think it'd save a lot of money by replacing RDJ. Now whether people will show up to the theater to see a replacement Iron Man might be a different calculation but it looks like the studio would have a lot of wiggle room coming from the cost difference between the two actors.

Or they just CGI from the footage they already have and the actors have already been paid for.

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

So John Walker aka US Agent. 

A great story would be Walker being put in as CAP by the military (aka Ross as the liaison from the Sakovia Accords) and being too pro USA. I may be wrong, but I don't think he was the Captain America who went crazy (that was Burnside), but they could bring elements of that storyline in and have to get Sam and Bucky to take him out. Then the 2 of them get together with Fury (or whoever heads SHIELD at the time - maybe Steve Rogers himself put into the role to give SHIELD back at least the appearance of being cleaned out) and decide one of them take over the role (or perhaps introduce a new character to take the role that both of them agree could fill Steve's shoes - one friend from the perspective of Steve pre and during WW2 and one from the perspective of the modern Steve Rogers). Maybe even introduce Walker through Sam and Bucky as US Agent after Ross put in William Burnside, a result of one of his Hulk Experimental soldiers, he believes is a die hard American - who turns out to be a rascist and psychotic amplified by the experiments. Walker could help Sam and Bucky take him down and they could say, after watching him, that he should take the mantle.