Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, archer said:

LOL

As Thanos was portrayed in the comics at the time, his chest was so thick that it wasn't even a certainty that Wolverine's claws would reach deep enough to reach Thanos's heart if it happened to be in the part of Thanos's chest where Wolverine obviously assumed it was. And Wolverine made no effort to rip or dig around. He just stuck the claws in and struck a pose as if thinking, "Okay, you're dead now."

In contrast, you can actually see Thanos's arm and tell whether you cut it off successfully or not.

Well, Wolverine was never a cerebral fighter.  He always struck me as an instinctive fighter that only changed tactics when they failed.  Going for the heart first makes sense for him.  Of course I'm thinking of 80-90's ish Wolverine.  I never read much of the "let's reinvent stuff" books.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Given that Wolverine's claws are around 10 inches long, Thanos would have to have 31" biceps for them not to be severed, which is human maximum, and a chest two feet deep to prevent cardiac penetration.

Well, Thanos isn't built like any normal human, and that's presuming Wolvie got a perfect slice.

By the way, I went looking to see how tall Thanos was.  In the comics, apparently he's 6'7" tall, so still within normal human range (in the upper part of it though).  But I found a Marvel villain height chart somebody made.  Let's just say that Doctor Octopus' name needs proper spacing and capitalization.

marvel-villains-height-chart.jpg

9 hours ago, massey said:

Well, Thanos isn't built like any normal human, and that's presuming Wolvie got a perfect slice.

By the way, I went looking to see how tall Thanos was.  In the comics, apparently he's 6'7" tall, so still within normal human range (in the upper part of it though).  But I found a Marvel villain height chart somebody made.  Let's just say that Doctor Octopus' name needs proper spacing and capitalization.

I'm shorter than Modok?

That's just embarrassing....

17 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The only reason I can see for Portman wanting back in is so that she can be Jane Foster Thor and grrl power it up. No thanks. I don't want her anywhere near the MCU. I'm fine with the female Thor storyline being done in the MCU, but they can recast Jane.

I am usually a big fan of Natalie Portman. Can't really explain her performance in Thor. :(

11 hours ago, massey said:

whoa... I always pictured MODOK as like over a story tall... all in the head. I swear there are scenes where Cap is like half the size of MODOK... not that he is a fat head that could sit in an office chair.

Larger MODOK is weird, but tiny MODOK is just gross.

21 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Speaking of the end, I would like to hear at least one actual Avengers Assemble! (not teased like in AoU) before the end, preferably from Cap.

They need to do it right... they need to have the various avengers scattered, some of them buried under rubble... a few kneeling exhausted. Captain America got pushed off a cliff or something and is now where to be seen...

then the flash of his shield, yep, the one with the star...

And a rally "Avengers... ASSEMBLE" Captain America survived that and is back.

And the Villain who thought he won, turns as he sees the heroes rise up as one

"Impossible" says the villain

And another Avenger besides Cap, possibly Natasha, possibly Tony, smirks and says "We can do this all day"

Steve smiles

And they charge

Regarding Thor and "aiming for the head," whether or not that was a deliberate choice is moot. After Stormbreaker hit him Thanos was on his knees, dazed and helpless. Thor could have easily cut his head off right then, or at least cut off the hand with the Infinity Gauntlet. But he clearly wanted Thanos to suffer and die slowly as revenge, so he wasted time torturing him rather than finishing him. Time Thanos used to gather himself and snap. IMO Thor is at least as guilty for the outcome as Starlord, and for a similar selfish reason.

BTW that was a true "hero moment" for Thanos. He overcame agony to do what he believed needed to be done. A conventional hero would have been applauded for it.

Thor was in the air and made a shot from above: 

Thor to GM: "called shot to the head".

GM: *rolls dice* You hit but miss the head. *rolls damage*

Thor: *pushes Stormbreaker inwards thus increasing the wound*

GM as Thanos: "you should have gone for the head"

As Thanos was prone, Thor could have summoned a huge bit of lightning through Stormbreaker or used Stormbreaker to summon the Bifrost. Either would have been most unpleasant to Thanos as Stormbreaker is lodged in his chest. 

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

As Thanos was prone, Thor could have summoned a huge bit of lightning through Stormbreaker or used Stormbreaker to summon the Bifrost. Either would have been most unpleasant to Thanos as Stormbreaker is lodged in his chest. 

Yeah, the initial blow with Stormbreaker did appear to Stun Thanos, who spent his next Phase coming out of Stun. Thor spent his next Phase pushing the axe further in for extra damage, you know, just for good measure, which ended his Phase. When Thanos said, "You should have gone for the head," he was basically monologuing and it was still his Phase, not Thor's. Remember, it takes zero time to deliver dramatic dialogue during your Phase. Thanos could have gloated for much longer and still been allowed to snap his fingers to end his Phase.

2 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

You know, there are a few dramatic moments where Hero System mechanics aren't the most appropriate model. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the "I want the truth!" "You can't handle the truth!" thing is really hard to model since talking is a zero phase action.