Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am totally on board with an FF reboot that takes place in the 1960s. It would neatly address the fact that they never seemed to be around/active in the 2000s during the core years of the MCU. It could also be the start of a whole different corner of the MCU: its post-WWII past. We barely got a taste of that from the Agent Carter tv series. I think it would be fun to have an MCU franchise that operated exclusively in the 60s (and maybe 70s).

Are Endgame spoilers okay in this thread?

I'll wrap this in spoiler tags, just in case.

Here's what I'd like to see for a Fantastic Four movie

So, we know Cap went back to the end of WWII to be with Peggy. Some people have taken that to mean he basically hid and let all the bad stuff happen so as not to change his own past.

That doesn't really work with the model of time travel Bruce explained in EndGame, though.

By staying in the pat, Cap created an alternate timeline. In that timeline he stayed with Peggy. I like to think the two of them kept Hydra from ever taking root in in SHIELD in that universe. They made that world a better place. In that world, a young Reed Richards who had been killed in the Vietnam War (or maybe Korean War, depending on exact timing and age of the character) instead was never drafted into that war, because it never happened. Instead he became the brilliant scientist he was meant to be.

The movie could open something like this:

EXT - DAY: NEW YORK CITY, THE BAXTER BUILDING
A gleaming skyscraper stands among a not-quite-familiar New York Skyline. A man, OLD CAP approaches the entrance. The years have taken their toll, but he still stands proud and strong. He enters the building.

INT - DAY: A CORRIDOR IN THE BAXTER BUILDING

REED RICHARDS, a distinguished looking scientist who doesn't show his seventy-some years walks with Cap down a hall. The hall could be in any corporate office anywhere. 

REED
                  Are you sure you have to leave?

CAP
                  With Peggy gone, it's time. I've wrapped up everything here.
                  They're going to start worrying about me.

A door opens in a blank wall and the pair step through.

INT-DAY: REED RICHARDS' LAB
Rising four stories high, the lab is a triumph of comic-book engineering. Row upon row of weird science apparatus fill the space. It's not chaos, but mere mortal minds can't pick out the order. 

Reed leads Cap to a corner of the huge room, where a device very similar to the time portal in Endgame waits. It is surrounded by banks of monitors showing scenes from the main MCU timeline. Cap's approaches his old time suit, hanging near the portal.

REED
                  You won't be needing that. The portal will read your
                  natural vibrations and use those to send you back to 
                  shortly after you left.

Cap walks to the portal. He stops and looks back over his shoulder.

REED
                  Steve. One more thing.

Steve turns to watch Reed pull a bundle from behind a console and unwrap it. It's THE SHIELD. Cap looks surprised.

CAP
                  How?

REED
                  It's a long story, but Johnny says to tell
                  you that you're even, now.

Cap smiles.

CAP
                  Tell him I said thank.
                  And Reed?
                  Thank you.

He steps into the portal and vanishes. Reed watches one of the monitors. Cap appears, staggers just the tiniest bit, and takes a seat on a bench. Reed scans the bank of monitors.

REED (to himself)
                  No, Captain. Thank you.

One of the monitors shows a tombstone. It's old and not particularly well maintained.

ON THE MONITOR:
                  Reed Richards
                  1933-1959

CREDITS ROLL
We see a slowed down version of the normal Marvel splash of comic book pages. This time we see individual titles and panels
Captain America Returns!
Hydra rooted out of SHIELD!
Cap foils HYDRA scheme!
And so on, showing how the world unfolded with Captain American there.

16 minutes ago, zslane said:

Oh gawd, please no. No more time travel!

That genie is out of the bottle, so don't bet on it.

I think my greater dislike for starting them out in the '60s, then dragging them to Modern Day, would be the Cap parallel.  That would exist with a time machine, or a Negative Zone accident, or any other approach.  Mind you, people seemed OK with Captain Marvel not aging a bit in the many years she was off-planet, then coming back to join the Avengers.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Mind you, people seemed OK with Captain Marvel not aging a bit in the many years she was off-planet, then coming back to join the Avengers. 

Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction ftw.

(No, don't think about it too hard, the writers certainly didn't. That was an attempt at humor.)

I think they should get the same guy to play Johnny Storm that played him in the 2005 and 2007 movies.

Evans was actually brilliant in that.  He was the one guy who really felt right for the role, the rest felt miscast (and I really wanted to like Ioan Gryffud since he was so great in Amazing Grace and the Horatio Hornblower shows).

people seemed OK with Captain Marvel not aging a bit in the many years she was off-planet, then coming back to join the Avengers. 

She changed her hair!  No, actually I figured it was just part of her powers, I mean she can fly in space and blow up starships, the fact that she doesn't seem older is pretty minor.

I liked Sif too. I feel she was woefully under-utilized in the Thor movies. Unfortunately for her, it seems as though Valkyrie has replaced her as the Female Asgardian Hero of the MCU (cuz, y'know, there can be only one). Sif may someday make an "appearance" but I doubt she'll ever be given as prominent a role in the MCU as Valkyrie has acquired.

Tracking down/rescuing Sif wherever she is among the Nine Worlds, could make a nice adventure for the Asguardians of the Galaxy. Jane Foster is history, and Valkyrie and Thor never went the romance route, so he and Sif might pair up.

Maybe Sif's captive on Trollheim, so they could introduce Thor's last remaining major adversary -- Ulik.