Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

I want Doom. Give me Doom. 

I'd rather see a different villain. Finally saw Fantast4c or whatever it was. Didnt hate anything but Doom, and with what they did, it was so setup for the villain to be Annihilus, a villain from the Negative Zone. I'd like to see Mole Man or even one of the other major cosmic villains. IF rebooting to 60s, do them as a superpowered Lost In Space group.

Have to disagree. The Doom pretenders we've gotten so far have been an insult to the name of Victor von Doom. I want to see the real Doctor Doom, in live action on a big screen in a good, hopefully great, movie.

We've gotten a bunch of lame villains from Marvel Studios, but they did give us a great Loki and a great Thanos. I'm sure they have it in them to do Doom justice.

The Walt Disney Studios will present a behind-the-scenes look at its blockbuster collection of upcoming films on Saturday, August 24, at 10 a.m. Fans will see what’s on the drawing board for the acclaimed filmmakers at Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios and get a peek at the exciting slate of live-action projects, from Disney to Marvel Studios to Star Wars. As always, attendees will be treated to exclusive footage, special guest appearances, and more!

https://d23.com/d23-expo-2019-hall-d23/

Phase 4. Too long away. But then, we know most of it anyway. Time to make it official. 

I do want to see Doom too but at this point yeah.  Another bad guy, maybe a couple before Doom comes back.  Mole Man was their first, and that would be cool (particularly since there wasn't really a Mole Man fight in the Incredibles).  And yeah 4stic should have been Annihilus, and that would have been really interesting.  I might have been more forgiving to the film if they'd done that instead of yet another lousy Doom.  The 4 have some very interesting enemies in their rogue's gallery that could make for fun movies.

With Mole Man as an antagonist (not a villain) a FF film can get really pulpy. This can/should be a big factor to seperate it from previous FF films & the Incredibles. 

As a superhero 'family' (only two are actual family), a FF film can differentiate itself from other pulpy films like Journey 1 & 2,  Disney's animated Atlantis, and Hellboy. 

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Have to disagree. The Doom pretenders we've gotten so far have been an insult to the name of Victor von Doom. I want to see the real Doctor Doom, in live action on a big screen in a good, hopefully great, movie.

We've gotten a bunch of lame villains from Marvel Studios, but they did give us a great Loki and a great Thanos. I'm sure they have it in them to do Doom justice.

We got a great Loki.  He showed up as the behind the scenes player in Thor, then a part of the alien invasion in Avengers, and then roles in the Thor films.

We got a great Thanos, first in a cameo in Avengers, then in what really was HIS film after the Avengers characters were well established.

So how about a film or two establishing the FF against other adversaries, perhaps with some cameos, Doom in the Background and/or flashback to Reed and Ben in college with Victor (even the start of Doom's origin).  Then make him the Big Bad in, say, the third FF film when we have seen glimpses (easter eggs for the comic fans) and he can really be the focus because we have gotten to know the Four.

The Wizard could be the first villain they face.  He's seems like a standard MCU villain.  Generic tech guy invents a thing, builds a suit.  It's not super original, but it's not like Marvel hasn't gone that route before.  Maybe they want to save him for the disappointing sequel. :)

Devos the Devastator would actually make a lot of sense.  He wants to destroy anyone who is a threat to galactic peace, and after the events of Infinity War/Endgame, who fits that description better than the heroes of Earth?  Remember, theoretically these guys can go reassemble the Infinity Gauntlet any time they want.  Somebody out there might find that threatening.

What we do NOT need is a film with a big origin story.  I was tired of origin stories after the first Spider-Man.  Do it like Burton did with Batman, where you get a flashback or a few moments of information rather than half the damned film.  The Fantastic Four got their powers testing out a rocket and got hit by a freak wave of power that was carried on cosmic radiation.  What was it?  Maybe a future story.  Who cares right now?  They have powers, now here's the story.  By now people are used to the concept of superheroes and do not need it spoon fed to them.

With Mole Man as an antagonist (not a villain) a FF film can get really pulpy. This can/should be a big factor to separate it from previous FF films & the Incredibles. 

Even comic book writers have forgotten what made the Fantastic Four work.  They were a family adventure team that just happened to have superpowers.  This is more Johnny Quest than Avengers, and it should have that feel.  Exploring strange ruins, dealing with bizarre events, investigating the unknown, etc.  They aren't a superhero team, they are a family that gets into adventures and is fascinating with exploration and learning.  Play that up.

And for God's sake make Doom the king of an obscure eastern European nation.  The whole diplomatic immunity/regal behavior thing was what made him so interesting.  Doom would be, if he wasn't so incredibly arrogant and egotistical, a good man.

I think Dr. Doom would be a good second film antagonist. And then they can present Silver Surfer as the third film antagonist, heralding Galactus as the big bad for Phase 4 overall (i.e., the new Thanos). I think ~20 years is plenty of time for audiences to forget the Fox attempt at a Galactus storyline.

I'd rather skip Doom and do Diablo as the first movie, Doom as the second and Annihilus as the third with cosmic tie-in with Nova and Captain Marvel as Annihilation Wave marches across the galaxy. Maybe make it part of the Cesestial Horde(there's a plot that has been teased and ignored for awhile) and get the Eternals in on it.

13 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

So how about a film or two establishing the FF against other adversaries, perhaps with some cameos, Doom in the Background and/or flashback to Reed and Ben in college with Victor (even the start of Doom's origin).  Then make him the Big Bad in, say, the third FF film when we have seen glimpses (easter eggs for the comic fans) and he can really be the focus because we have gotten to know the Four. 

That's what I was thinking. Let them hit up some of their other classic villains first. If the go weird science/exploration, they could get into it with adversaries from the Negative Zone or any other place they're poking their noses into, then by the third or so movie, we get a full on Doom plot.

If we're starting in the 1960s, and their origin is still space-based, I'd suggest Red Ghost and his super-apes as antagonists in the first movie. He and the FF could be competing to reach the Moon, perfect their prototype FTL drives, or whichever variation of the classic plot Marvel Studios wants to use, when both craft are exposed to transformative cosmic radiation. That lets you get into super action immediately, without the need to establish the antagonists in a separate story line.

EDIT: Actually, having gone back over the Ghost's history, I realized he would make a fine linking character for a trilogy of movies: the second bringing in the Mole Man, while the third has Doctor Doom coming to the forefront. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Ghost