Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates / In case you missed it

- Monica Rambeau will be an adult and appear in WandaVision.

- Scarlet Witch will follow her WandaVision series in Doctor Strange sequel. 

- Taskmaster is the confirmed villain for Black Widow. 

- Baron Zemo will reappear in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier 

- Infinity War Loki is dead, Loki series follows on from “Endgame Loki”. 

3 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

He was apparently an enormous PITA to work with by the time Blade Trinity rolled around.  

That's been confirmed by several interviews I've seen from various actors, directors and producers.  Like Steven Seagal level psycho PITA.

- Curious how they'll do Taskmaster.

- Not a fan of female Thor at all.  It just seems stupid IMO, one of those comic stories you tell when you've run out of ideas for the character.  Next thing you know we'll get a cloned Peter Parker.  PS - Isn't Mjolnir shattered in the present timeline?

- So they're officially incorporating 'vampirism' into the MCU?  Ok.

- Possible problem with Eternals is that's a lot of characters to introduce in an origin movie.  Very hard to do well IMO.  GotG pulled it off, but really only had 4 characters to work with as Groot only has one line and doesn't need much character development.

- I need full-on hardcore kung-fu movie from Shang-Chi, please.  Also throw in some Chinese sorcery.  Thank you.

On 10/29/2014 at 9:32 AM, Bazza said:

Marvel has officially announced plans for Phase Three of the MCU so we need one thread to tie it all together, right? Right. 

Bazza reporting from the Internet: 

Marvel Announces Phase Three Slate, Included Avengers: Infinity War, Black Panther, Captain Marvel And Inhumans

B1EAr8_CQAAHTQu.jpg

Keven Feige interview with Screenrant

Now that Phase Three has ended. This is what was originally announced. No Inhumans film, no Spider-Man, an Ant-Man sequel, and Infinity War Part 2, became Endgame. Otherwise it is remarkable that this slate of films actually came to fruition as some were multiple years away. 

The standouts are Spider-Man, and Tony Stark. Spider-Man turned out to be a great get, with Tom Holland having two solo films and multiple appearances in other films. Tony Stark has no solo film in Phase Three but with his reoccurring appearances in other films, you don't notice it. Also, it has to be said, that the two Avengers films are as much his films as the other Avengers Trinity (Steve Rogers, Thor). 

Also, I'm glad I decided to create a Phase Three thread that (mostly) kept all the news in one place. 

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

- Not a fan of female Thor at all.  It just seems stupid IMO, one of those comic stories you tell when you've run out of ideas for the character.

Have you read Jason Aaron's The Mighty Thor? With Jane Foster? It is one of the best Thor runs ever, and I've been reading 'em a long time. Hands down some of the best writing and art ever, and is a perfect use of the "sick/lame human becomes a god" schtick that started it all back in Journey Into Mystery... since the entire mythos is built on "Whoever holds this hammer..." bit. 

58 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

Have you read Jason Aaron's The Mighty Thor? With Jane Foster? It is one of the best Thor runs ever, and I've been reading 'em a long time. Hands down some of the best writing and art ever, and is a perfect use of the "sick/lame human becomes a god" schtick that started it all back in Journey Into Mystery... since the entire mythos is built on "Whoever holds this hammer..." bit. 

Fair enough.

The TV series Gotham was supposedly written well, also.  I'm not interested in Gotham without Batman and I'm not interested in Thor without Thor.  It's even a tiny bit insulting to the characters IMO.

I'm happy that Chris is returning in Thor 4. But clearly, this is his swan song with Jane taking over. I'd much prefer existing Thor substitutes like Eric Masterson or Beta Ray Bill continuing the series. We also have Thor Girl (Tarene Tara Olson) from Dan Jurgens run, if Marvel Studios wants a feminine Thor. But that is just my opinion. 

Also, Marvel and/or the media are going to come up with a better phrase than "Female Thor". 

Lady Thor can be done right as long as they don't put Thor down to do it....

But Natalie Portman has been lackluster as Jane...and I'm not crazy about that actress getting powered to play a replacement.

Mind you, she might improve her game for the character in such a case but she's lost a lot of my good will in the mCU

Honestly, if they wanted to yank me into a Badass female asgardian movie? Get Jaime Alexander as Sif again, and let her take the staring role.

10 minutes ago, mattingly said:

If not Tessa Thompson/Valkyrie taking over, I'd prefer to see Darcy stepping in as the new Thor.

Not Thor, you'd have Darcy with Mjolnir. 

Thor is Thor.  He was Thor without the hammer, and he was Thor with the hammer as happened several time in the comic.  Beta Ray Bill wielded the hammer, as Beta Ray Bill.  If there was a comic titled "Alien Thor" I missed it.  

Getting the hammer does not change who the person is.  It simply adds the hammers power. 

We saw in the movie where they forged the Axe, that Thor was definitely still a powerful being, whether called a god or an alien.  

Bah, low level pandering at it's worst.  I have had a low opinion of the comic industry for years since they abandoned telling of great stories to pushing personal agenda's.  I mean, all writers of anything will inject their opinions into their works.  But I miss the years of 95 to 99% great story with 1 to 5% personal agenda which have been replaced by 80-90% agenda with maybe a coherent story.  

7 hours ago, Bazza said:

I'm happy that Chris is returning in Thor 4. But clearly, this is his swan song with Jane taking over. I'd much prefer existing Thor substitutes like Eric Masterson or Beta Ray Bill continuing the series. We also have Thor Girl (Tarene Tara Olson) from Dan Jurgens run, if Marvel Studios wants a feminine Thor. But that is just my opinion. 

Also, Marvel and/or the media are going to come up with a better phrase than "Female Thor". 

Jane Foster has been Thor for the past few years.  Masterson and Beta Ray Bill have been out of the comics for decades (although Bill shows up from time to time).  Practically, Beta Ray Bill  would need a full rewrite anyway.  He was based on "whoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor".  His inital arc saw Odin create Stormbreaker (little bit late on both counts) for him and transfer the Don Blake enchantment over (no Dr. Blake in MCU to transfer over).

And if we go back to JIM #83, Don Blake was worthy, so the hammer granted him the power of Thor.  "He actually was transformed into Thor" came later, and "Don Blake was a depowered Thor" later than that [Thor #159, over six years after JIM #83].

Update/Notes

-Phase Four is the main 10 projects, 5 films and 5 Disney+ shows. Blade is not an official Phase Four film.

- It is up to Sony to announce any new Spider-Man films, not Marvel. Thus no announcement of a Phase Four Spidey film. 

23 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

He was based on "whoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor". 

See, the power not the person. 

23 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

"He actually was transformed into Thor" came later,

After they went down the crapper and began retcons and rewrites to try to cover for having run out of ideas. 

I'm guessing that happened after I stopped reading them anymore. 

27 minutes ago, Spence said:

After they went down the crapper and began retcons and rewrites to try to cover for having run out of ideas. 

I'm guessing that happened after I stopped reading them anymore. 

"Don Blake was a transformed Thor" happened in Thor #159, in 1968. 

Young Thor appeared in Tales of Asgard as early as JIM #100, so not that long after JIM #83 introduced the character.  Loki appeared earlier than that - JIM 85, Thor's third appearance.  Odin and Asgard are also part of that issue.  In #86, "Thor summons his father, Odin", so it seems clear that Blake is transformed into Thor pretty early on.  #88 includes Odin, Loki, Heimdall, Tyr and Balder.  Loki's back in #91, and Odin, Heimdall and Frigga as well in #92.  Asgardians again in #94.  That's within the first year Marvel published Thor stories.  Tales of Asgard started in #97.

When did you stop reading?

TBH the MCU as a whole doesn't appeal to me, and hasn't since the first Avengers movie. I look at whether individual movies in the franchise interest me enough to see them, and don't worry where they fit within the wider scheme. Unless I need to know something from one film I wouldn't choose to see, to understand another that I would. Even then, I can usually find enough info online about the previous movie to appreciate its successor.