Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

In Stranger Things season 3, there is a cherry slurpee loving Russian named Alexei. 

In Black Widow, Stranger Things' Jim Hopper's actor, David Harbour is playing Red Guardian, whose name is Alexei. 

This is causing some Stranger Things fans to get emotional. 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvel reveals when Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow prequel will take place https://apple.news/AUTtlSDYQQ46IirwIwkE78g

A: Between Civil War & Infinity War and will include a trip to Budapest. 

Also Rachel Weisz will be playing the villain. The villain is Taskmaster. Still yet to confirm that Rachel Weisz will be playing Taskmaster, as IMDB states Rachel character’s name is Melina. 

Addendum: Weisz character is another who has gone through the red room, and is not likely to be Taskmaster. Not saying who is, for spoiler reasons. 

Much like destroying SHIELD in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the deaths of several major and beloved characters have written the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a corner.  They are left with prequels and introducing new, more power, and less interesting characters and we'll end up with concepts like the Inhumans.

Natalie Portman to play Thor, and will Jump a Shark on a Motorcycle

I'm hoping not but fearing so.  Marvel is in a bit of a quandary here: do you replace beloved character actors with different ones and risk losing fans or will it work like it has with James Bond, up to this point at least?  Unlike the comics, where you can write a character who doesn't age (or ages very little) for decades, actors can't keep up forever.  So by necessity, you must lose them over time.

Hmmm.....a new Bond is coming out and is a girl and now you guys are referring to a Jane Foster Thor. (Now I don’t read allot of comics so JFT could been a comic thing) The timing though seems like....bandwagon. Btw I have no problem with the Falcon becoming a new Capt. America.

16 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Hmmm.....a new Bond is coming out and is a girl and now you guys are referring to a Jane Foster Thor. (Now I don’t read allot of comics so JFT could been a comic thing) The timing though seems like....bandwagon. Btw I have no problem with the Falcon becoming a new Capt. America.

No, Bond will continue to be Daniel Craig.  Lashana Lynch will be playing a different spy who is given the 007 designation after Bond chooses to retire.  I've yet to come across anyone who thinks that Bond will stay retired or that Lynch's character will keep the 007 position.  Indeed, pretty much everyone thinks she will be shot.

1 hour ago, Ranxerox said:

No, Bond will continue to be Daniel Craig.  Lashana Lynch will be playing a different spy who is given the 007 designation after Bond chooses to retire.  I've yet to come across anyone who thinks that Bond will stay retired or that Lynch's character will keep the 007 position.  Indeed, pretty much everyone thinks she will be shot.

A black female 007 getting the Black Sidekick Treatment would be infinitely worse.  We know that Craig is ready to move on, so either Lynch takes over the franchise, or they recast James Bond and come up with some gobbledygook about how "James Bond" is now a perennial "cover ID" for the 007 agent.  

16 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

A black female 007 getting the Black Sidekick Treatment would be infinitely worse.  We know that Craig is ready to move on, so either Lynch takes over the franchise, or they recast James Bond and come up with some gobbledygook about how "James Bond" is now a perennial "cover ID" for the 007 agent.  

I have always considered it as a the cover name for the person using the 007 persona, at least in the movies, hence why they could cast different actors, though I realize that doesn't explain why Moore one had such a hardon to kill Blofield. Hmm, maybe James cover being blown, had to do plastic surgery. Of course, Plastic Surgery is one thing, undergoing gender reassignment with aditional skin pigment seems a bit much to maintain a cover. And I agree, killing her would be a horrid decision. Maybe Craig's character will become the new M. I really liked the idea they had to cast Elba in the part. Thought that would work great. Of course, I also thought Brosnan was going to be good, which he was, problem was, thanks to the idiots running Remington Steel, we got him 6 years and 3 movies to late.

Of course, I also thought Brosnan was going to be good, which he was, problem was, thanks to the idiots running Remington Steel, we got him 6 years and 3 movies to late.

Edit: thought this was about Dalton (who I loved as Bond).  I thought Brosnan did great and I liked all but the last movie he was in.

57 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I have always considered it as a the cover name for the person using the 007 persona, at least in the movies, hence why they could cast different actors, though I realize that doesn't explain why Moore one had such a hardon to kill Blofield. Hmm, maybe James cover being blown, had to do plastic surgery. Of course, Plastic Surgery is one thing, undergoing gender reassignment with aditional skin pigment seems a bit much to maintain a cover. And I agree, killing her would be a horrid decision. Maybe Craig's character will become the new M. I really liked the idea they had to cast Elba in the part. Thought that would work great. Of course, I also thought Brosnan was going to be good, which he was, problem was, thanks to the idiots running Remington Steel, we got him 6 years and 3 movies to late.

Brosnan has since admitted that when he was first up for the part and CBS was playing game with him to keep Steele running another season, that he wasn't ready for the role.

1 hour ago, megaplayboy said:

A black female 007 getting the Black Sidekick Treatment would be infinitely worse.    

Just because it is a horrible idea, doesn't mean that they won't do it.

Not that I am in the she is going to get shot camp.  But I don't see her keeping the 007 label either.

007 could in theory be anyone; but a female "James Bond" just won't fly. That name immediately conjures widespread popular associations with who and what James  Bond is, going back generations: cool, deadly, sexy, and uber-masculine. Casting too far against those qualities would be almost as suicidal as casting a man as Wonder Woman.

But recasting another actor as James Bond, with an updated continuity but still being essentially the same character, has a long and very successful track record. It's no harder for the public to accept than a new Batman, or Spider-Man.

There was a "What If..." comic many years ago, with the premise that Jane Foster found the cave in Norway where Mjolnir was hidden, rather than Don Blake. She called her transformed identity "Thordis," supposedly after the name of a Scandinavian girl she knew in school. I'd be more comfortable with that than her taking on Thor's name just because she got powers like his. "Thor" isn't a title like "Captain Marvel."

Still, I didn't care for Ragnarok and don't plan to watch this movie, so my opinion should carry no weight.