Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

My wife didn't see Infinity War (I saw it with some friends), and I didn't relish the idea of taking her to see Endgame and having to answer a thousand whispered questions about what was going on.  So I finally decided, "to hell with it" and went to see Endgame by my lonesome when they re-released it.  She finally saw Infinity War on DVD, but still hasn't seen Endgame. 

I'm wondering whether I should see Far From Home with her, and just tell her that in Endgame, Tony dies helping return everybody that was dusted in IW, but 5 years later.  Not sure if she'll need to know any other details, but from watching the trailers I'm guessing that might cover the big stuff.

I've avoided these conundrums by double-dipping.  I go see the movie alone first immediately after work (the theater is literally across the parking lot from where I work) and then take the wife/kiddo/quiz machines to the movie whenever it's convenient.

But definitely get them in before they miss enough to be out of sorts regarding the plot.

Granted, my kiddo goes for the munchies and my wife is so bad with super-heroes that I'm essentially watching the movie alone anyway.  :S

2 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Then they should have showed it before Endgame.

Budgets, scheduling, the right script, people being available... those things don't just fall into place when someone would like them to. But I don't see it as problematic. Ant-Man and the Wasp came out after Infinity War, but was set before that movie. And of course, The First Avenger was the last Phase One film released before Avengers, despite taking place seventy years before all the others.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:41 AM, Cassandra said:

Much like destroying SHIELD in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the deaths of several major and beloved characters have written the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a corner.  They are left with prequels and introducing new, more power, and less interesting characters and we'll end up with concepts like the Inhumans.

They got too greedy and went to big too fast.  There were plenty of storylines that could have been played out before having to go all "end of the universe". 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:17 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'd be fine with some other actress playing the role of her when she's younger.  Not an origin story (God save us from origin stories) but just something when she was writing red in her ledger, but also doing right.  Like wetworks for the right reason, a John Wick kind of story.

I'd go see movies or even a TV series of Black Widows early career.  I am glade that SJ will be in the upcoming BW movie.  I liked her in the part, and I'd like to see her in the stand alone movie. 

7 hours ago, Spence said:

They got too greedy and went to big too fast.  There were plenty of storylines that could have been played out before having to go all "end of the universe". 

I agree about the possible stories, but have to point out that movies don't work on the same timetable as comics, with new chapters in stories coming out every month. Movies are a huge commitment in time, money, and resources, so the stories they choose to tell have to be more concentrated. Also, actors aren't ageless like the comic-book characters they portray. Particularly in an action-heavy genre like supers, there's an expiry date to how long they can convincingly continue to embody a character.

The MCU has been developing on screen for eleven years. IMHO it was an appropriate time to go for a big conclusion, and to wrap up the earlier cast and bring in fresh Marvel supers, and the many stories that can be told about them.

Well that's what I was talking about with the ages of the actors.  They had to, or they were going to have to start replacing all the actors with different people.  Guys like Downey are at the ragged edge of what you can get away with as a leading man in age.  He used to do more of his stunt and action work but really can't do that any more.  As much as I like him, he's getting old along with everyone else in Marvel's main Avengers cast.

Now, Spider-Man has proved that you can get away with replacing the main characters just like James Bond, but they didn't want to do that with the entire Avengers cast, which is reasonable.  So it was pull the trigger now and put out the most epic movie they could come up with, or its too late with these guys.

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I agree about the possible stories, but have to point out that movies don't work on the same timetable as comics,  --snip--

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well that's what I was talking about with the ages of the actors.  -snip--

Completely understand both points.

But I still think they were spraying away their entire load early without thinking about the future.  Unless they have decided that Phase 4 is the end of Marvel movies, which I doubt.  They would have been better served to slowly advance the story lines.  As CRT noted, there will be actor swaps for the various roles making it just as easy to have used some of the older plot lines as jumping so far forward. 

And these are movies, where the audience expect bigger and better each movie, not smaller and similar.  So far the most interesting movies in Phase 4 to me are the prequels/stand-alone movies.    For me the Eternals are as much a yawn fest of an idea as the Inhumans.   Black Widow, Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi are the only titles that have me wanting to see them.  The rest of the titles evoke meh.  Mostly because the big bang Avengers movies Infinity War and Endgame were pretty much meh for me. 

Who would have guessed the Guardians of the Galaxy would turn out to be one of the MCU's most popular properties, before their first movie came out? The impression I get is that Marvel Films have been thinking about their future very carefully.

I'm sorry for you that the announced upcoming movies provoke a meh response. As for me, I'll wait for a clearer indication of what they're doing with them, before I decide if I want to see them.

11 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Who would have guessed the Guardians of the Galaxy would turn out to be one of the MCU's most popular properties, before their first movie came out? The impression I get is that Marvel Films have been thinking about their future very carefully.

I'm sorry for you that the announced upcoming movies provoke a meh response. As for me, I'll wait for a clearer indication of what they're doing with them, before I decide if I want to see them.

I'll admit I thought GotG was going to tank and was pleasantly surprised when it was good.

As for the upcoming movies being meh. I guess if you don't expect much, if a nice shiny bauble shows up it seems twice as shiny. 

3 hours ago, Spence said:

Completely understand both points.

But I still think they were spraying away their entire load early without thinking about the future.  Unless they have decided that Phase 4 is the end of Marvel movies, which I doubt.  They would have been better served to slowly advance the story lines.  As CRT noted, there will be actor swaps for the various roles making it just as easy to have used some of the older plot lines as jumping so far forward. 

And these are movies, where the audience expect bigger and better each movie, not smaller and similar.  So far the most interesting movies in Phase 4 to me are the prequels/stand-alone movies.    For me the Eternals are as much a yawn fest of an idea as the Inhumans.   Black Widow, Doctor Strange and Shang-Chi are the only titles that have me wanting to see them.  The rest of the titles evoke meh.  Mostly because the big bang Avengers movies Infinity War and Endgame were pretty much meh for me. 

I have to ask, 11 years, 20+ films, usually 3-4 a year, and, arguably even the worst better then half the stuff put out by other studios. How much longer did you want them to take?

on a slightly side note, when did July become horror movie month?

2 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Phase 5 is pretty much in the can. Feige was debating whether to announce both Phase 4 & 5, and decided 10 projects was enough. So rest assured, more in coming. 

Not sure if you were aware that in film parlance, "in the can" means that the project has already been filmed, although not necessarily edited. I'm pretty confident that's not yet the case for most Phase 5 movies.

I'm with Liaden here, the new bunch of films being announced sounds pretty uninteresting.  Since about half of their best unused properties either have a nasty stink or legal confusion (FF and X-Men) at this point, they kind of have to go with the b- and c- teams but this seems a bit ambitious.

As much as I liked the Shang-Chi comics, it was mostly the brilliant artwork and not the storyline which was kind of boilerplate kung fu stuff.  Its going to be a rough ride to make that fresh and interesting to audiences who grew up with Hong Kong's best coming out.  Some of their most fresh and interesting alternative titles like New Mutants, Cloak & Dagger, Daredevil, and Punisher are TV properties which you can turn into films but probably they won't touch.  Stuff like Moon Knight I love but don't really trust them to touch.  It will either be silver Batman or lunatic I fear.