Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Spence said:

True, but I hope they don't go full idiot mode and break the pendulum by swinging too far.  I enjoy movies with strong female leads and strong male leads.  I just want them to make sense within the context of the movie. 

I've watched movie where the actors male or female were simply not believable in the role. More movies and TV shows with well cast female leads is good.  Plugging in female actors just to pander or check a block on a PC checklist will just lead to bad shows and careers.

This discussion makes me think of Legend of Baggar Vance. I enjoyed the movie but you could tell that every part with Charlize in it was added in (her character did not appear in the original book) and didn't quite fit with everything else.

The diversity agenda has a tremendous amount of socio-political momentum right now. We appear to be in the early "restitution" phase in which the disenfranchised call out for the social majority (i.e., straight white males) to make up for all the years/decades/centuries of unfair cultural supremacy. I don't think that centering the pendulum is what they really want; they want to enjoy a period in which the pendulum is swung way over to their end before conceding to a balanced middle ground of equitability.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

The diversity agenda has a tremendous amount of socio-political momentum right now. We appear to be in the early "restitution" phase in which the disenfranchised call out for the social majority (i.e., straight white males) to make up for all the years/decades/centuries of unfair cultural supremacy. I don't think that centering the pendulum is what they really want; they want to enjoy a period in which the pendulum is swung way over to their end before conceding to a balanced middle ground of equitability.

Personally I have no problem with more emphasis on strong woman characters in movies, including multiples of them. In this case I'm just concerned that Portman, Thompson and Alexander's characters together would be so similar in their motifs and visuals that they would seem redundant. (To be honest, I found the "assembled female Avengers" scene in Endgame too overt in making a point. But many women viewers loved the scene, so perhaps its point needed making.)

Trivia tidbit: Tessa Thompson was also a principle cast member in Annihilation alongside Natalie Portman.

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Personally I have no problem with more emphasis on strong woman characters in movies

Nor I. Strong, ass-kicking female protagonists are a favorite of mine.

To be clear, the diversity push isn't just a female thing. You can tell when it is a driving force when a movie's cast seems too diverse, to the point of contrivance. There's no place on Earth that I'm aware of where there is an exact even percentage of each and every race and gender combination in its society/community, and so when a movie puts "one of each" into the main cast, well, one can't escape the sense that it is purely a diversity play rather than a reach for verisimilitude.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah when the cast of characters looks like a college guidebook cover, you know they were picked for physical appearance, not talent or character.

Its just as dumb to cast all white dudes because you don't think girls can do the job or some other lame reason.

Exception:  If the characters are in medium where pretty much everyone looks good and the team is internationally comprised, then by all means they should look like a college guidebook cover (see Len Wein and Dave Cockrum's X-Men for an example).

Edit: Also Star Trek bridge crews

35 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Namor should definitely start as a bad guy, if they use him.  They might be hesitant because of Aquaman doing well and being basically patterned after Namor to save him from being the orange dork who talks to fish.

Sorry. Namor came first. Fishboy came second. And he'll always be the orange dork who talks to fish.

20 minutes ago, Greywind said:

Sorry. Namor came first. Fishboy came second. And he'll always be the orange dork who talks to fish.

Only a vanishingly small percentage of humans knows, or cares.  As far as the rest of them are concerned, Aquaman has already been in theaters for three years and two films, and Namor will be the copycat.