Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Namor was reintroduced in Marvel Comics in the 1960s as an antagonist for the Fantastic Four. He was actually an amnesiac homeless person until the Human Torch randomly encountered and recognized him, and dunked him back into the sea, which restored his memories. Namor returned to the site of Atlantis only to find it abandoned, which he assumed was due to the actions of surface men. That led to the recurring motif of him attacking the surface world, including after he discovered the new Atlantis.

IMO that would make an excellent model to adapt for bringing Namor and this part of the Marvel comics universe into the MCU.

I am really curious to see who they cast for it. If I were them, I would try an Asian actor. Prior to Aquaman, I would have said Mamoa (and Dwayne Johnson before that) would have been excellent, but, as well as they did with Aquaman, i think you need to try to steer away from that type. Go with someone who is decidedly less anglo looking. emphasize the pointed ears and cast someone who is more a swimmers body (long and lean).

Namor has a very unique specific look which would take a particular sort of actor to pull off. I agree that an Asian actor probably would do it best, or at least Eurasian.  He's strikingly handsome in his later incarnations, almost alien looking in his earlier ones.  But he does not look like your standard square jawed hero no matter how he's drawn.

Oh, and Cap shouldn't have aged that much, but whatever its their universe to do whatever they want with.

On 8/1/2019 at 3:17 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

The danger is that poor writers think "strong woman" means "dude with hooters" rather than writing parts that are female.  We're not interchangable, each of us have our strengths and weaknesses.

Ripley in Alien was originally written as a male character, and I think just about all that was changed was the first name and pronouns. The trick to writing a strong woman is to write a strong person, not just a collection of macho cliches. Gender isn't necessarily important to doing so if the character is three-dimensional and engaging.

21 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

If the Super Soldier Serum makes you the ultimate human being without flaws, he theoretically would NEVER age, as science understands aging today.  At the very least his aging should be massively reduced (as in the comics where he's just as vigorous today as he was in the 60s).

At some point, one of the Marvel editor and chiefs said that as comic books only come out once a month and usually only cover a few days of the time for the character in them, only one year passes for the characters for every seven years that pass for the reader.  By this math, Captain America only came out of the ice 8 years ago.  So, of course in the comics he hasn't lost too many steps.

Kevin Feige Reveals His Favorite Moment in Marvel History

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/08/03/kevin-feige-reveals-favorite-marvel-moment/

“We’re entering this moment, which I’ve said before is the happiest and proudest moment of my career with Marvel Studios. Which is when Steve Rogers is standing up against all of Thanos’ army and it looks like all is lost. And he’s still going to do it even with a Titan-broken shield on his hurt arm. He steps forward then all of a sudden he hears something in his ear and over his shoulder. This sequence of them arriving we shot a number of times in a number of different ways, utilizing most of the footage we shot each time and every time, it was overwhelmingly emotional having everyone there on the same day. There were certain days when everyone you saw there in the frame was there on set in Pinewood Atlanta.”

Avengers...Assemble. 

9 hours ago, dmjalund said:

We are assuming he went back to the late forties/early fifities.  Maybe he went to a more recent period allowing himself to be the toy-boy 

Unless everyone on the street where Steve and Peggy were shown to be living drove antique cars, that's the era when he rejoined her.

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

If the Super Soldier Serum makes you the ultimate human being without flaws, he theoretically would NEVER age, as science understands aging today.  At the very least his aging should be massively reduced (as in the comics where he's just as vigorous today as he was in the 60s).

But so is Reed Richards, and Tony Stark, and Hank Pym, and Clint Barton, and Peter Parker, and all those iconic characters brought back or launched in the 1960s. As Ranxerox notes, Marvel time clearly doesn't parallel real-world time.

We sold them all but in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, I seem to recall them stating that Steve Rogers ages much slower than normal and could live for centuries or even longer.  Again, the way scientists think aging works, he should be at least extremely resistant to, if not immune to, aging.  But hey, they wanted to retire the character badly and get to the new squad they prefer as Marvel editors so it was a way of getting him out of the picture.

FWIW, the FASERIP version of that Handbook mentions nothing about Steve Rogers aging more slowly than normal. Then again, it also says explicitly that he has no superpowers and is merely at absolute peak human condition and performance thanks to the serum. All of these handbooks were written long before the Ultimates came along and redefined many of the classic characters into newer, more powerful incarnations which heavily informed the MCU.