Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Spiderman had super strength from Amazing Fantasy 15.  He climbs up the side of a building and crushes a metal ventilation pipe as if it was a toilet paper roll.

If "Old Cap" was at Peggy's funeral, why didn't anyone know about it?  Who ever heard of a funeral where the dead person's spouse hides in the back somewhere and tries not to be seen, and no one wonders why?  Even if he called himself Roger Stevens, and no one recognized him (wearing Clark Kent's glasses), at least some people would have come up to him to give condolences, etc.  The only way around this is for Roger Stevens to have been pretty much a shut-in the whole time, so that no neighbors ever met him and he had no social life and no friends other than Peggy.  Or else they would have had to keep it a total secret that Peggy had a husband at all.  And how do you do that?  Steve isn't the kind of guy to shack up with a woman he's not married to, especially living in the 40's-50's.

In the released Phase IV list of movies, where the hell is Spidey?  Why bring him back from the cornflake field if he's not going to make an appearance (at least not in his own movie) in Phase IV?  Are we going to have to wait for Phase V to see a movie with - let's face it - the biggest and most important start of Marvel?  Especially if they've set up Peter to be the new Tony.  Who gives a damn about Shang Chi or the Eternals, when the all-time favorite is Spiderman?  Shang Chi and the Eternals (and what other new characters were mentioned?  I've already forgotten.) are not even second-stringers.  More like eighth-stringers.  The biggest stars of Marvel are Spiderman, the X-Men (Wolverine), the FF.  Avengers (Cap, Hulk) are close seconds.

To resolve the Fox/Sony issues regarding integrating X-Men, FF, etc., into the MCU, they simply need to lock all their lawyers in a room, and them make the following movies, and this is the order I'd recommend them:

1. Spiderman meets FF  (***These are not the titles, just the methods of introductions.)

2. X-Men meet Avengers

3-5. Anyone else that needs to be brought in.  Such as Ghost Rider from Agents of SHIELD in a movie with, say, Spidey.  Either one can be the guest star in the other's movie.  Daredevil maybe teams up with Spidey vs Kingpin.  Who else?  Deadpool?

6+. Any new characters they want to bring in.  Sure, go ahead with the Eternals and Shang Chi.  Check off all the demographic boxes.  Oh, and incorporate "The Gifted", and the Inhumans, and add in the New Mutants.  And Powerman & Iron Fist.

By the time they're done making all these movies, all the lawyers will have starved to death, and everyone will be happy.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiderman had super strength from Amazing Fantasy 15.  He climbs up the side of a building and crushes a metal ventilation pipe as if it was a toilet paper roll.

Sure, but he didn't have flight, a freeze breath, eye beams, the ability to run as fast as the flash, super-hypnotism and all the other daffy crap they stuck on him over the years.  He was a great, basic hero: tough, strong, jump a long ways.

The only way around this is for Roger Stevens to have been pretty much a shut-in the whole time, so that no neighbors ever met him and he had no social life and no friends other than Peggy. 

Yeah it doesn't really work and with just a little bit of thought all kinds of holes poke through it, but that's what you get when you do time travel and try to get cute with it.  I wasn't super fond of the last three Avengers movies anyway.

1 hour ago, PhilFleischmann said:

The biggest stars of Marvel are Spiderman, the X-Men (Wolverine), the FF.  Avengers (Cap, Hulk) are close seconds.

Pre-2000, I'd have placed the Hulk above the X-Men in the popular consciousness. His TV show got him a LOT more name recognition than any amount of comics, and arguably he was still more recognizable than all of them except Wolverine after the X-Men movies.

1 hour ago, PhilFleischmann said:

In the released Phase IV list of movies, where the hell is Spidey?  Why bring him back from the cornflake field if he's not going to make an appearance (at least not in his own movie) in Phase IV?  Are we going to have to wait for Phase V to see a movie with - let's face it - the biggest and most important start of Marvel?  Especially if they've set up Peter to be the new Tony.  

I read to the effect, that it is not up to Marvel Studios to announce a Spider-Man movie as Spider-Man is still Sony's. 

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Pre-2000, I'd have placed the Hulk above the X-Men in the popular consciousness. His TV show got him a LOT more name recognition than any amount of comics, and arguably he was still more recognizable than all of them except Wolverine after the X-Men movies.

Right!  Forgot about that.  But mostly, I'm thinking about comic book readers.

10 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Sure, but he didn't have flight, a freeze breath, eye beams, the ability to run as fast as the flash, super-hypnotism and all the other daffy crap they stuck on him over the years.  He was a great, basic hero: tough, strong, jump a long ways.

ummm...the post you replied to was discussing Spider-Man - when did he gain those powers?

14 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I have to agree.  As a wee lad in the 70s I had a comic with a Hulk vs. Superman crossover.

And the Hulk TV show was a big deal for comic book fans.

There's a reason why high STR does not automatically result in head-splattering mass casualties in Champions. If we give Spidey a 45 STR (not quite 15 tons lifting capacity, but close enough), he's going to do 9 BODY on average with a punch. If he pulls his punch, he can get that down to 4 BODY, which against a Normal's PD of 2, only results in an ugly bruise at worst.

Champions was designed to work according to "comic book physics", and since we all love Champions, I think we should accord the source material--and its conventions--a bit more respect. The whole notion of dragging comic book superheroics into "the real world" has always struck me as a pointless (if not meaningless) exercise.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

There's a reason why high STR does not automatically result in head-splattering mass casualties in Champions. If we give Spidey a 45 STR (not quite 15 tons lifting capacity, but close enough), he's going to do 9 BODY on average with a punch. If he pulls his punch, he can get that down to 4 BODY, which against a Normal's PD of 2, only results in an ugly bruise at worst.

I'd call 2 BODY past defenses a broken bone at least.  A punch in the face, call it a broken nose.  I mean, that's 1/5 of the person's total BODY score, it's not a truly insignificant amount.

8 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I'd call 2 BODY past defenses a broken bone at least.  A punch in the face, call it a broken nose.  I mean, that's 1/5 of the person's total BODY score, it's not a truly insignificant amount.

Additionally, that PD 2 Normal is eating 30 STUN per hit.  This means the fight sequence is either instant KO or heavily stunned followed by KO.

The Hulk is definitely up there as a cultural icon, much more so than the X-Men or Fantastic Four.  He's one of those basic legendary figures everyone uses as a reference or nickname.  In terms of book sales, FF varies wildly but is often quite low (I'm not even sure Marvel is publishing Fantastic Four right now but that might be due to a try to leverage the property out of the hands of Sony).  X-Men book sales are gigantic, of course, but that doesn't seem to have connected well with the public.  At this point I think the Avengers are far more iconic and well-known world wide.

2 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I'd call 2 BODY past defenses a broken bone at least.

Do you call BODY damage with that degree of "realism" in your Champions campaigns? To my mind, the wound/impairment/disabling rules are not merely optional because they are potentially time-consuming (and add to the bookkeeping), but because they are rather out-of-band for traditional comic book superheroics. "You take 2 BODY and have a nice shiner to show for it," is pretty standard for all the PulpHero/Champions campaigns I've ever played in.

Disney CEO Bob Iger told Wall Street analysts on Tuesday during Disney’s quarterly earnings call that the Fox’s superhero titles would move forward under the stewardship of Feige.

(Emphasis added by me)

As I understand it, this was the plan all along. I was celebrating the transfer of those properties to Feige the moment the Fox deal was approved and made final last year.

To my mind this is non-news.