Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

I don''t think Guardians of the Galaxy had any more public recognition when their movie was selected (despite being published) and a lot of comic grognards were still unhappy it wasn't Vance Astro and crew. 

It didn't, but comic fans knew the team and its various members (hence, the "which incarnation" question I mentioned).  The Eternals, on the other hand... pretty much nobody but super hardcore Kirby fans know about.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

He was. According to Jim Starlin, film Drax is a combination of Infinity Watch "dumb" Drax and the current physicality of Drax first seen in Anniliation prequel mini series (Drax the Destroyer, 2005). Also IIRC, Starlin is happy with it. 

"Dumb Drax" was very "childish Hulk" - he swallowed the Power Stone, for example, to keep it safe.  "Annihilation Drax" was much lower-powered, but much more cunning and savvy.  MCU Drax is a completely new personality, in my view, and probably lower powered than any comic version.  And a pretty unique character, which is great.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

It didn't, but comic fans knew the team and its various members (hence, the "which incarnation" question I mentioned).  The Eternals, on the other hand... pretty much nobody but super hardcore Kirby fans know about.

The Eternals have showed up in the comics off and on for 40+ years.  Sersi and Gilgamesh were both Avengers for a while.  I think older comic fans know them, at a minimum.  They last had a series in 2006, though, and were killed off not that long ago in the comics.  Movie success would likely bring them back.

It's a huge cast - could be tough to spotlight all of them, unless they focus on a smaller core team and have the others around the fringes.  But, as I recall, the Guardians movie was preceded by predictions of dismal failure, and it seemed to come out all right.  "MCU" will get a lot of viewers to give it a shot, and they'll have the chance to impress the audiences with trailers beforehand.  Maybe they pull off a winner, or maybe MCU has a loser.

November, 2020 - when will Sony's next Spider-Man release be?  Summer, 2021?  Wouldn't it be a kick in Disney's pants if their first real MCU failure is followed by a "non-MCU" Spidey success?

15 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

If these guys don't work, maybe they'll try the Knights of Wundagore and the High Evolutionary next.  This latest wave of Marvel stuff feels almost like a bet.  Who can get a billion dollars with the most obscure and z list character?

Funny you should say that, as they are talking about Rocket's creator appearing and being the big bad in the next GOG movie, and the hint is its the High Evolutionary.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

I think a lot of people will go to the Eternals movie just to see Angelina Jolie in the MCU and also to see "Robb Stark and Jon Snow" back together again, as it were.

One challenge will be making a Thena that is not accused of being a Wonder Woman rip-off, considering they are both modeled on the iconic warrior-goddess Athena to some extent.

That shouldn't be difficult if they give her the full range of her comic book powers:

She also has the ability to levitate herself and thus fly at superhuman speed, the psionic ability to rearrange the molecular structure of objects, the ability to cast illusions to disguise her appearance and that of others from the perceptions of normal human beings, the ability to teleport herself and others with her, and the ability to initiate formation of the Uni-Mind.

IIRC, they each had their own specialties.  Sersi was an expert on transmutation (Circe).  Thena (Athena) was very much a warrior.  Makkari (Mercury) was a speedster.  Phastos (Hephaestus) was a builder.  Gilgamesh/the Forgotten One/Heracles was a Brick.  Ikaris was a flyer, but also strong and an energy projector (at some point they decided he took his deceased son's name, so he would have been Daedelus, father of Icarus).  Ajak was Ajax, great warrior of the Trojan war.  Zuras (Zeus) won't be in the movie - his role as leader taken by Ajak.  Sprite was more about self-transformation.

But they all had strength to some degree, durability (but when you see the beatings "normal human" Supers take in MCU, that's everyone :) ), flight, immortality, energy projection, matter manipulation, etc.  I suspect the movie will give them differentiated abilities, although "they all have the same abilities to a greater or lesser extent, and their differences attribute to different aptitudes, but more to what each has practiced over many centuries" could be an interesting approach.

It seems like the classic Eternals would be very similar to the MCU Asgardians, doesn't it?

None of the MCU shows will be airing until Fall 2020, Spring 2021, or later. Therefore, 100% of the Disney+ content will be non-MCU related for the next year or so. In fact, of all the shows available at launch on November 12th, the only one that interests me is The Mandalorian. I guess I will be waiting at least a year before bothering to subscribe.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

I guess I will be waiting at least a year before bothering to subscribe.

I haven't subscribed to a single source service (HBO, Showtime, etc.) in decades and don't see myself starting now that they have adopted a fancy new name (streaming). 

If there is a show I find so interesting that I just have to watch it, I will find the blu-ray. 

If they purposely restrict the the availability of the blu-ray, then I don't need to see it. 

50 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah because it was SO original

Looking for original?  We haven't had original in fifty years or longer.  Cooler and arguable better wiz bangs and effects.  But very little original. 

It is like books, in the now you don't read books for originality, you read a book to see if the author can take a well worn idea and make it interesting again. 

5 minutes ago, Spence said:

Looking for original?  We haven't had original in fifty years or longer.  Cooler and arguable better wiz bangs and effects.  But very little original. 

It is like books, in the now you don't read books for originality, you read a book to see if the author can take a well worn idea and make it interesting again. 

We haven't had original in something like 3000 years. Story telling  is all about an individual artist's take on things.

There's taking old ideas and making them interesting... and just taking other ideas and tacking them together for people who've never learned about the old ideas so they seem fresh.  But in any case, my mockery is pointed at people who would accuse anyone of stealing from GOT, when its basically a pastiche of 50 different ideas swiped by GRRM.

And my mockery was pointed at those people who will assume Circe the mythic figure, or Sersi the Eternal, are inspired by Cersei Lannister. Because you know there will be. Many people, particularly young people, seem to assume nothing existed before they discovered it. And the Internet gives those people a public platform to spout off. Ironic, since the Internet also usually gives them ready means to find out if they're right, if they weren't too lazy or opinionated to use it.

18 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

And my mockery was pointed at those people who will assume Circe the mythic figure, or Sersi the Eternal, are inspired by Cersei Lannister. Because you know there will be. Many people, particularly young people, seem to assume nothing existed before they discovered it. And the Internet gives those people a public platform to spout off. Ironic, since the Internet also usually gives them ready means to find out if they're right, if they weren't too lazy or opinionated to use it.

I'm guessing the people you mention above and their public platform, remind me of this ad in Australia. 

For those who are planning on getting Disney+ right away, D23 is offering a 33% discount off of the annual price to members on a 3 year subscription, which works out to about $4 a month. Base tier for D23 is free, but the offer expires September 2, and the page warns that it takes about 36 hours for the offer to populate for new members. US members only.

https://d23.com/disney-plus-exclusive-offer/