Bazza

Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

In that case cinema is in the low art/pop culture category, and theatre & opera are in the high art/high culture category. 

A similar distinction existed in Greece when tragedy was held in higher esteem than comedy, yet Aristophanes’s rude, black humour, character assassination of public figures is now considered high culture. A modern equivalent would be a collaboration between Monty Python, Gilbert & Sullivan, and Charlie Hebdo. 

That little b-grade space film Star Wars has conveyed  “emotional & psychological experiences” across generations of audiences than a lot of best picture winners ever did. 

Also, like Scorsese I like The Red Shoes, based on a fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen. 

15 hours ago, Old Man said:

Unforgiven, Cimarron, Dances with Wolves, and (if you can call it a Western) No Country for Old Men.

I've seen Unforgiven, and Dances with Wolves. No Country for Old Men doesn't interest me, so that leaves Cimarron. 

The whole "cinema" vs. "movie" thing reminds me of the elitists who insist there's a qualitative difference between "sci-fi" and "science fiction". Or the nerd wars over "trekkie" vs. "trekker". Peeps gotta feel superior, I guess.

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Like my dad used to say, "Opinions are like a**holes. Everybody's got one."

Personally I don't care what Scorsese thinks of the MCU. It's not like we need him to direct a Marvel movie. (That might be cool, though.) :sneaky:

Only if he did a Punisher or a Moon Knight movie.

I would point out in most of those that are the regular universe, it was when he was infected with the zombie virus. In Ultimate universe, he was intentionally doing so. Like I said, he reminded me a lot of Hyde from the comic version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was probably intentional.

That was in response to Francis Ford Coppola calling Marvel movies 'despicable'.

When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right because we expect to learn something from cinema,” said Ford. We expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration. I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again.”

Ford added that “Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is."

1 minute ago, Starlord said:

When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right because we expect to learn something from cinema,” said Ford. We expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration. I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again.”

Ford added that “Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is."

They sound bitter and out of touch with humanity.  And bitter.