Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Essentially, yeah.  Hawkeye spent most of the first Avengers movie being the enemy, or out of the fight.  Putting it simply: Joss Whedon couldn't figure out how to use a guy with a bow and interesting arrows, so he made him a turncoat.  In the second film, Joss figured out that the best way to use him was to make him the lynchpin that made them human and kept them grounded.  He couldn't figure out what to do with Black Widow so SHE was taken out of the fight and made a prisoner.  Both of them are very low powered compared to the rest of the team (although Hawkeye has a hell of a punch with some of his arrows, something the writers don't seem to know about).

So its a writer's decision to make him useful and important to the team by being the team's morale, the guy that ties them together (its actually stated kinda clearly in Age of Ultron at one point).  And it gave him a chance to have more of a part than in the first film, probably as a thank you or apology by Whedon.

Ultimately, Hawkeye and Black Widow can be really critical, useful characters (although I'd have used the Wasp instead of her, for obvious reasons) as the comics have repeatedly shown for like 50 years, but moviemakers have a different perspective on things.

Black Widow has also been very useful in areas other than straight combat. In the first Avengers, she was the one who saw through Loki's ploy. In Winter Soldier she demonstrated her mastery of stealth and spycraft. In Civil War during the airport battle, she was the first to realize Cap and Bucky would make for the Quinjet, and was there ahead of them, in a position to turn the tide of the fight. And of course, in Endgame she stepped up to take over running the Avengers.

Hawkeye's explosive arrows in the first Avengers were pretty devastating, to a degree that, admittedly, subsequent movies have rarely shown. But he always displays keen tactical sense. Cap used him very effectively as a high-ground sniper and observer, coordinating the actions of the rest of the team. To be honest, when Hawkeye is in assassin mode he's so cold-bloodedly efficient, he scares me worse than the Hulk.

My understanding was that BW's "superpower" is reading people and reasoning with them, to a borderline telepathic level.  That's why she's able to figure Loki out and "control" Hulk.

Clint's superpower is not missing.  Ever.

Another way of thinking about it is that BW is detective/martial artist Batman and Clint is gadgeteer Batman.  YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of folks seem to have a far broader definition for "a Christmas movie" than I do.

Maybe they're just trying to sound edgy or hip or culturally subversive, but to me a Christmas movie is a movie that puts me in the Christmas spirit, typically because it is about traditional Christmas themes (family, kindness, faith, community, joy, unity, etc.) and not because it merely takes place on (or around) Christmas day.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

A lot of folks seem to have a far broader definition for "a Christmas movie" than I do.

Maybe they're just trying to sound edgy or hip or culturally subversive, but to me a Christmas movie is a movie that puts me in the Christmas spirit, typically because it is about traditional Christmas themes (family, kindness, faith, community, joy, unity, etc.) and not because it merely takes place on (or around) Christmas day.

Well, people think Deadpool and Batman are heroes not to mention thinking Harley Quinn looks like a 1980s streetwalker.

So you are not wrong....