Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, zslane said:

Well, he looks like this in the comics now:

03849c4bec4425f268496927042324e6.png

And given that Henry Zaga is Brazilian, I'd say they matched him up pretty well.

Only if you ignore every other appearance of the character where he's a very dark skinned Latino gentleman, sure.  His origin in the comics even involves him being attacked by a racist BECAUSE of his dark skin so no, the white guy they hired to play him does not match up to him pretty well at all.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

Well, he looks like this in the comics now:

03849c4bec4425f268496927042324e6.png

And given that Henry Zaga is Brazilian, I'd say they matched him up pretty well.

Certainly not how I remember the character, but okay, if that is his current look, then I guess maybe we should give the movie one a pass.  However, apparently the woman in charge is suppose to be Dr. Cecelia Reyes.  Did she get a skin bleaching in the comics too?

2 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

Certainly not how I remember the character, but okay, if that is his current look, then I guess maybe we should give the movie one a pass.  However, apparently the woman in charge is suppose to be Dr. Cecelia Reyes.  Did she get a skin bleaching in the comics too?

Perhaps they have secondary mutations that drain the melanin from their skins? 🙄

spacer.png

The relevant piece of information people seem to miss is that Roberto is Afro-Brazilian, and consequently experienced racism in Brazil prior to New Mutanting, owing to his dark skin and curly hair.  Then again, Betsy Braddock was turned into a half-naked Japanese ninja in the comics, who was then played by a German-Irish-English-Chinese-Vietnamese actress in the film.  The casting here isn't perfect, but they got the Brazilian part right at least.

8 minutes ago, Old Man said:

spacer.png

The relevant piece of information people seem to miss is that Roberto is Afro-Brazilian, and consequently experienced racism in Brazil prior to New Mutanting, owing to his dark skin and curly hair.  Then again, Betsy Braddock was turned into a half-naked Japanese ninja in the comics, who was then played by a German-Irish-English-Chinese-Vietnamese actress in the film.  The casting here isn't perfect, but they got the Brazilian part right at least.

It just seems to me like they put all the effort into casting the female characters, minus Dr. Reyes, then just didn't bother when it came to the guys.

Well, look at the decades-long depiction of Nick Fury in the comics versus what they did in the MCU. They went with a depiction from the Ultimates, which was played off as more of a joke than anything else in the books. Nobody really cares.

Hollywood changes genders, races, and origin stories all the time; it is something we should be so used to by now that we don't even bat an eyelash at it when it happens. I mean, there is no world in which Valkyrie, a figure from Norse mythology, should ever look (or sound) like Tessa Thompson, and look where all of our collective teeth-gnashing over that one got us.

We were kind of immunized to Thompson's Valkyrie after Idris Elba's Heimdal. It underscored the convention that MCU Asgardians are aliens, not supernatural Norse gods (except by association).

There are comic characters for whom specific ethnic characterizations are important, by their background and publication history. If Steve Rogers isn't blonde and blue-eyed, Black Widow isn't Russian, or Falcon isn't black, that's problematic, because those elements factor into their place in comic history and real-world history. OTOH Mordo being white is mostly irrelevant to his character. The Ancient One going from Oriental male to Caucasian female was a more daring choice; but he was a cliche from the era of his creation anyway, and Tilda Swinton made us not care, because the core of the character came through in her performance.

56 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The relevant piece of information people seem to miss is that Roberto is Afro-Brazilian, and consequently experienced racism in Brazil prior to New Mutanting, owing to his dark skin and curly hair.

True, but he came from a rich family. Rich families in Brazil are rarely Afro-Brazilian.

Bleaching him would probably make that aspect of him more plausible. 🙁

5 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Honestly the casting bothers me less than the fact that the character is rich.  Why must all superheroes be effing billionaires?

In the New Mutants, pretty much everyone except Robert De Costa was either poor or borderline poor.  So, I think they felt they needed one rich character for contrast.

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

It just seems to me like they put all the effort into casting the female characters, minus Dr. Reyes, then just didn't bother when it came to the guys.

Maybe.  While I would prefer a closer casting, if the current choice nails the part acting'wise I'd be good. 

I think ignoring the comic to make a horror show is going to tank.  I mean Ilyana who is was confirmed as ruler of one of the hells/abysses (or what ever.  I haven't actually read any of these since the 80's).  But Ilyana has an available demonic army and even if she had lost control of it later in the comics (after I gave up on comics) I really don;t think she will be a scared horrified victim here.  It just doesn't wash. 

Once again.  Dear Hollywood, just bring a comic/graphic novel/actual novel to the screen.  They were popular for a reason and you do not need to "improve them".