Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

52 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

In the New Mutants, pretty much everyone except Robert De Costa was either poor or borderline poor.  So, I think they felt they needed one rich character for contrast.

See Sam Guthrie, poor Coal mining family *Nod* I hope they show some parts of Sam that were in the comics but get forgotten, he was a great lover of science fiction novels for example and professor X praised his intelligence. Talk about breaking stereotypes, the smart Southerner who loves books pleases me.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Spence said:

Maybe.  While I would prefer a closer casting, if the current choice nails the part acting'wise I'd be good. 

I think ignoring the comic to make a horror show is going to tank.  I mean Ilyana who is was confirmed as ruler of one of the hells/abysses (or what ever.  I haven't actually read any of these since the 80's).  But Ilyana has an available demonic army and even if she had lost control of it later in the comics (after I gave up on comics) I really don;t think she will be a scared horrified victim here.  It just doesn't wash. 

Once again.  Dear Hollywood, just bring a comic/graphic novel/actual novel to the screen.  They were popular for a reason and you do not need to "improve them". 

Actually, though I also stopped reading sometime after the 80s, I believe the story they are using is an actual New Mutants story called Ghost Bear.

On November 5, 2019 at 3:32 AM, Bazza said:

“Many films today are perfect products manufactured for immediate consumption. Many of them are well made by teams of talented individuals. All the same, they lack something essential to cinema: the unifying vision of an individual artist. Because, of course, the individual artist is the riskiest factor of all.” ~ Scorsese. 

There is an attitude that blossomed after  the Movie "Heaven's Gate", cratered in 1980, taking the Western as a genre, and the studio that made it, United Artists, down with it.  That attitude was stated as, " It is irresponsible to allow a single individual to control the investments of many other people. ". So the  studios burdened directors with a bureaucracy, and financial oversight, so that the studio was insulated from the risks of an auteur. But during the 80s and 90's there were still small studios that allowed young directors to make a film, but with the limitation of a small, fixed budget, and a short schedule. It was in this environment that James Cameron proved himself. However with the media consolidation in the late 90's that venue closed down. What became from the media consolidation was a lack of competition, and a very risk averse attitude, so that only a guaranteed screenplay that would put butts in seats received the green light for production. 

in 2005 a book entitled Save The Cat was put out, that took the structured screenplay approach pioneered by Syd Field's screen writing books, and locked it down to stopwatch and per page precision. Save The Car gave a fairly fixed template to various genres, and soon people using this method saw notable box office success.  Soon, most screenwriters adopted this method, and films after 2005-06 fell into that template. Notable non adopters of this method were Quentin Tarantino, and Martin Scorcese.. However, the risk averse studios preferred that approach, as it did put butts in seats reliably, for a while. But the audience eventually and instinctively figured out the sameness of the films and attendance slowly and steadily declined.  That coupled with sequelitis, rising prices, and this new Sopranos show on HBO, meant that people were finding other things to do..

Marvel caught lightning in a bottle. They found the right scripts with the right person at the right time.. Before the Disney purchase they had moderate success with the Wesley Snipes Blade movies, but only after the Disney purchase were all the ingredients put together. Notice that Warners/DC have not been able to make consistently successful Superhero films until the past three years.But I will say that DC won't get their unified success until they get a audience approved Superman film.  However the recent news of Warners brining inJ. J. Abrams to helm their superhero films is a grave mistake, as his track record on recent Star Trek, and Star Wars shows.

Now it is true that with the massive lowering of costs in equipment, and the democratization of information due to the net (as well as massive software piracy) there has never been a better time for small independent productions to make crafted, personal vision films. Equipment size, cost, and power requirements have dramatically reduced crew sizes and the need for teamster semis carrying equipment. With talent and practice you can get that Hollywood look with 5 or 6 non-Union people with equipment that will fit in one van. The TouTube Channel Corridor Digital is a prime illustration.. The bottleneck, though, is distribution.  Distributors know that Theater Owners are as risk averse as the studios are, and will only book films that put butts in seats..Small independent, or Art House theaters have their own distribution and elected genres, and the Cineplexes will only book a sure thing.  If fame and fortune is not your thing, you can always release on YouTube, but big Hollywood is ossified and will continue to stumble along in its gigantic way, until it can't .Kecin Feige may continue to keep Marvel an excellent film franchise, and he may recover Star Wars, if his supervision of The Mandalorean is of any indication, but when a streaming service is 10-12 bucks a month, and a movie is 20 buck, once for 3 hours, the economics of the theater model don't look so good any more.

Scott (who worked in Hollywood for a few years)

15 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

There are comic characters for whom specific ethnic characterizations are important, by their background and publication history.

Until a scriptwriter changes, or makes irrelevant, the character's background in a movie. I guarantee you that nobody will be confused by Henry Zaga's casting as Roberto based on what they see in the movie. Just like nobody will be confused by seeing a (half-)Samoan (Dwayne Johnson) cast as an Egyptian (Black Adam).

16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

We were kind of immunized to Thompson's Valkyrie after Idris Elba's Heimdal.

I'd say we were immunized by the Law of It Doesn't Really Matter. Fidelity to the source material is an extremely fluid principle in Hollywood, even in the hands of a superfan like Kevin Feige.

On 1/7/2020 at 9:12 PM, Spence said:

I mean Ilyana who is was confirmed as ruler of one of the hells/abysses (or what ever.  I haven't actually read any of these since the 80's).  But Ilyana has an available demonic army and even if she had lost control of it later in the comics (after I gave up on comics) I really don;t think she will be a scared horrified victim here.  It just doesn't wash.

I don't think much had been made of Illyana's resources in Limbo at this early point in the narrative. However, you're right that after the horrors she went through growing up, the Demon Bear was a source of pragmatic concern to her rather than terrifying her like it did Dani and the rest of their teammates. Much of her power was a gift from otherdimensional things that made the Demon Bear look like a cutesy stuffed animal by comparison.