Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Venom was all Sony's, though, and whatever you think of that it did make a pile of money.

Lousy movies make piles of money all the time. Doesn't change the fact that they are garbage that merely prove the old sayings about suckers being born every day and that a fool and his money are soon parted. I think you'll need to use something other than box office figures to support the assertion that the creatives at Sony are on par with those at Marvel Studios.

That's not to say Venom in particular was a lousy movie, mind you, I'm just making a general counter-assertion.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:44 PM, Hermit said:

Now THAT surprises me

And makes me wonder if it's not going to be better than I thought

Why does it surprise you?

Disney has a movie with Marvel characters that they need to sell.  Unless it absolutely could not be fit into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, why would they leave it out? As part of the MCU, it will sell more tickets, especially since they can spin it as the introduction of mutants to that universe. 

1 hour ago, zslane said:

Lousy movies make piles of money all the time. Doesn't change the fact that they are garbage that merely prove the old sayings about suckers being born every day and that a fool and his money are soon parted. I think you'll need to use something other than box office figures to support the assertion that the creatives at Sony are on par with those at Marvel Studios.

That's not to say Venom in particular was a lousy movie, mind you, I'm just making a general counter-assertion.

At no point did I assert that Marvel and Sony creatives were on par. I only referred to Venom because many people obviously liked that movie, and it was all Sony's, so it makes good sense for them to brag about that in the Morbius trailer.

5 hours ago, rjcurrie said:

Why does it surprise you?

Disney has a movie with Marvel characters that they need to sell.  Unless it absolutely could not be fit into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, why would they leave it out? As part of the MCU, it will sell more tickets, especially since they can spin it as the introduction of mutants to that universe. 

Two reasons..it's pressed as and will likely be a horror movie, or at least horror lite. While Disney has dabbled in that, it's not their usual style.

Also, the rumor mill had not been kind to the New Mutants movie and there was talk of Disney dropping a lot of the Fox Marvel movies beyond Deadpool.

20 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

At no point did I assert that Marvel and Sony creatives were on par. I only referred to Venom because many people obviously liked that movie, and it was all Sony's, so it makes good sense for them to brag about that in the Morbius trailer.

Okay, maybe I misunderstood your retort. It seemed to be in response to this statement:

More like "From The Company That Let Marvel Make Good Spider-Man Movies".

And in so responding, it seemed to me that you were saying that the money Venom brought in was evidence that Sony is a company that makes good (Spider-Man-adjacent) movies just as Marvel does. To me that is equivalent to asserting that Marvel and Sony are on par creatively.

8 hours ago, zslane said:

Okay, maybe I misunderstood your retort. It seemed to be in response to this statement:

And in so responding, it seemed to me that you were saying that the money Venom brought in was evidence that Sony is a company that makes good (Spider-Man-adjacent) movies just as Marvel does. To me that is equivalent to asserting that Marvel and Sony are on par creatively.

Hence why my reply to armory started by telling him he made a "Good point," and finished my reference to Venom (because the trailer cited it as well) with, "whatever you think of that it did make a pile of money."

So, if you and I have split that hair sufficiently finely, what say we chalk it up to interpretation and move on? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Raimi is an inspired choice for many reasons. He understands how to mix horror and comedy like nobody else. He helped create modern superhero cinema with a Marvel character. And he's a big name director that raises Marvel's PR game to another level.

Then again, this could just be a ploy to get #Disney, #Marvel, and #MCU trending on Twitter for a day or two. Kinda like how announcing that Kevin Feige was going to produce a Star Wars movie was really just a ploy to scare Sony back to the negotiating table over Spider-Man.