Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss Asgard. It really was a realm fit for the gods. I would have liked to have seen more of it, and of the Nine Realms. More adventures with Thor and the Warriors Three, and Sif. Slugging it out with Ulik and the Trolls. War with the hordes of Harokin the Barbarian. Pairing Amora the Enchantress with a legit version of Skurge the Executioner.

Ah, well. I'll always have my Thor comics, at least.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I miss Asgard. It really was a realm fit for the gods. I would have liked to have seen more of it, and of the Nine Realms. More adventures with Thor and the Warriors Three, and Sif. Slugging it out with Ulik and the Trolls. War with the hordes of Harokin the Barbarian. Pairing Amora the Enchantress with a legit version of Skurge the Executioner.

Ah, well. I'll always have my Thor comics, at least.

Me too. I also miss Balder. 

11 hours ago, Tjack said:

I just watched a video on YouTube of sports figures from all around the world; English and Italian soccer, African rugby, American basketball and French tennis players, all giving the “Wakanda Forever” salute.  It seems to have become a gesture of pride for people of color everywhere. 
  I believe whatever Marvel decides to do, be it recast or replace the character, they better treat as carefully and respectfully as handling nitroglycerin during an earthquake.

11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I agree. But what you cite is an example of what I meant, that the character of Black Panther is bigger than the actor playing him. That's more true today than it ever has been.

Personally, I consider Wakanda to be a more important character than T'Challa.  A king on a continent that has long since started moving towards democracies, magic herbs and animal totems.  I have no idea how Africans view these things, but on this side of the pond it seems rather backwards looking.  However, an African nation free of the trappings of colonialism, proud, strong and with technology that doesn't equal western nations but surpasses them, well that is something.  That is a powerful idea today, and back in the 60s when Lee and Kirby invented Wakanda it must have seemed mind blowing.

So, when blacks across the globe say "Wakanda Forever", I take it at face value. Wakanda forever, not Black Panther forever.

2 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Personally, I consider Wakanda to be a more important character than T'Challa.  A king on a continent that has long since started moving towards democracies, magic herbs and animal totems.  I have no idea how Africans view these things, but on this side of the pond it seems rather backwards looking.  However, an African nation free of the trappings of colonialism, proud, strong and with technology that doesn't equal western nations but surpasses them, well that is something.  That is a powerful idea today, and back in the 60s when Lee and Kirby invented Wakanda it must have seemed mind blowing.

So, when blacks across the globe say "Wakanda Forever", I take it at face value. Wakanda forever, not Black Panther forever.

You do all realize that this topic has drifted into a bunch of middle aged white guys trying to decide the viewpoint of around a billion different people of color.   Let’s just stick to the things we know...comic books, movies and role-playing games.  
   So, I hear Kat Denning is going to play Darcy as a permanent supporting character in WandaVision.  

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

So, I hear Kat Denning is going to play Darcy as a permanent supporting character in WandaVision.  

That's interesting. I haven't heard anything about the storyline or the tone of the series but if they're adding Darcy, it suggesting a lighter tone.

Wakanda Forever!

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Ahhh....where would the entertainment industry be without ego clashes?

Ya’ know it takes a pretty healthy ego to get on any stage in the first place. Then spend a good sized chunk of your life having casting people and directors tell you you’re not good enough while always being able to tell yourself that they’re wrong, until the day comes for your big breakthrough in an episode of CSI as a corpse.  Then another bunch of years plugging away in indie films, when somebody notices and likes what you did. 
   If you cram several people who’ve been thru this together at a location shoot over a few months....s#!t is gonna fly.

Edited by Tjack
Damn Spellcheck!

4 hours ago, archer said:

That's interesting. I haven't heard anything about the storyline or the tone of the series but if they're adding Darcy, it suggesting a lighter tone.

Wakanda Forever!

When they first announced the WandaVision series, I believe they said something about it being more of a sitcom/romance series. Probably based on the foibles of Vision not understanding human behavior and Wanda being Samantha/Jeanie effect. Still, things could have changed.

17 minutes ago, slikmar said:

When they first announced the WandaVision series, I believe they said something about it being more of a sitcom/romance series. Probably based on the foibles of Vision not understanding human behavior and Wanda being Samantha/Jeanie effect. Still, things could have changed.

1.  That sounds very Disney.  Yes, that is not a compliment.

2.  A light tone is one thing but to me, it seems it'd hard to avoid OVERDOING that.  Fine, maybe you pick up some adolescents but I think you lose more in the older age groups.

If Marvel recasts the Black Panther role, I'd favour casting Michael B Jordan (MBJ). Yes Killmonger. 

There would no doubt be confusion between the two, with fans coming up with elaborate retcons. However, it makes good sense: MBJ  basically has already played the Black Panther's understudy. Marvel could easy decide that Killmonger is a one-film villain (like so many beforehand) which opens up MBJ for the role. MBJ is already part of the Marvel Company (ala the Royal Shakespeare Company) and thus knows how Marvel produces its movies. He already knows the cast and crew of Black Panther and has the shared experience and grief with the passing of Chadwick. MBJ knows the Black Panther film ethos, its production culture, and how the director directs.

Marvel bringing in someone new is too much of a risk, when MBJ has already successfully pulled off a 'near-leading' (co-leading?) role with Killmonger. Ergo MBJ has the credentials and previous experience with Black Panther to be considered a leading actor worthy for a billion dollar film. Chadwick became iconic in the role, and MBJ knows up-close what Chadwick established and can honour that and carry it forward in a respectful manner. 

It would take a few films for the audience to accept him fully in the role, however when things are considered, I think Michael B Jordan is the logical choice to continue the role of Black Panther. 

My candidates for replacement would be in order,

Mahershala Ali, would require a recasting of Blade.

Mustafa Shakir, did an excellent job as Bushmaster in Luke Cage season 2

John Boyega,  may be too busy.

Anyone else including Michael B. Jordan( he did too good a job as Killmonger to swap) or Idris Elba(too old) would be a stretch. Of course they could be doing the world's largest casting call to find the next great young black actor.

So, had a thought on all of this. If I were Marvel, with most the established 2ndary characters moving to disney+ shows, why not take the opportunity to move forward a couple years (or more) and begin a whole new generation. Renner passes on his bow, Cassy becomes the new wearer of the suit with 4 seperate mentors, come up with a child of T'Challa and Nakia. I am sure you could come up with others. Avoids having to recast, per se, and can use CGI like they did with Leia to pass on Panther mantel. Would really do something that comics have never quite been able to accomplish, actually pass the torch to a new generation. Maybe Stark's kid, not to mention the boy genius from movie 3. Remember, high schooler Peter Parker was gone for 5 years, so is probably 17 or so in the MCU. He could become the defacto leader of this new group. You could even have Falcon give the Shield to someone else as he doesn't quite feel like it fits him as much as being Falcon does.